• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar Ijmuiden

Stan Wickham (3)
Race 44
School 1st Four Heat Shore REMOVED FROM RESULTS (Crashed into another competitior at the start and disqualfied after results out, they appealed the decision and lost so dumped from A final.)

Race 57
School 2nd Eight B Final 1 St Josephs (REMOVED FROM RESULTS) The crew swore when crossing the finish line in first position in B final so disqualified for conduct unbecoming!

Talking SB 1st Four race, St Augustine's won with their junior rep Zac van Appen, but with three year 10 boys from their Yr 10 eight, who raced only 20 odd min before. They switched the three rowers on the water after the finish line and rowed straight back up for their next race. Great story I would say...

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Apparently through the use of the 'F' and 'C' words en masse and at level. Not really necessary.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Still think Joeys have Shore's measure. This week at SIRC should show the difference b/w the crews. If is 1 or 2 secs between them then game on. Joeys will feel the pressure w a lot of OB's turning up to see if they can win. Will be a great race. Nest 2 weeks preparation will be critical, as much mental as anything. Joeys favourites though Shore not far behind and hopefully closing still.

2nd VII also looking a beauty and could go wither way. Each way bet for those punters out there. Am hoping the boys from North Sydney can beat the lads from the East !

MR

Edgar Ijmuiden

Stan Wickham (3)
Any truth to the rumour St.Augustine's has been invited to join AAGPS? I expressed skepticism but my source claimed it was solid
That is an interesting thought, but I share your skepticism. It would be a precedence and would have implications on other sports as well. However the school sport landscape has changed since 1893 and non-GPS schools have invested heavily in rowing as well (i.e. Kinross, Redands, St Augustine's, Cranbrook etc..). It would be great to see a more open school boy competition like in VIC.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Any truth to the rumour St.Augustine's has been invited to join AAGPS? I expressed skepticism but my source claimed it was solid

Is your rumour saying all AAGPS sports or just rowing.....or is rugby thrown in too.....and is it across all age groups...oh the questions could go on and on!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Apparently through the use of the 'F' and 'C' words en masse and at level. Not really necessary.

From what I have now heard, both on and off this forum, that crew violated the code of conduct in multiple ways.

More specifically, the following points are made: -
PLAYERS
  1. Play may be hard and vigorous, but deliberate violence should never be used towards opponents.
  2. No person shall act towards or speak to any other person in a manner, or engage in any other conduct which threatens, disparages, vilifies or insults another person (the person vilified) on any basis, including but not limited to a person’s race, religion, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin, special ability/disability or sexual orientation, preference or identity.
  3. Players should not react with violence to any physical or verbal provocation.
  4. Use of bad language, where directed at an umpire/referee, another player or oneself, is unacceptable.
  5. Players should never argue with an umpire/referee (whether boy or adult) or contest a decision. Any negative response towards an umpire’s ruling is unacceptable. (A Captain – only – may ask a referee to clarify a ruling in the event of uncertainty.)
  6. Immodest behaviour in victory or success, and manifestation of self-disgust at an error or failure are poor sportsmanship. Gracious conduct, whatever the result of a game, is important.
  7. Unfair or illegal tactics to gain an advantage should never be used.
  8. Excessive or inappropriate talk should not be used on the field of play.
Players are encouraged to play in a positive and sportsmanlike manner and to extend every courtesy to the opposing team. This should include pre-match courtesies, recognition of good play on the part of the opposition and extending thanks to the umpire/referee and to the opposition after the match.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
From what I have now heard, both on and off this forum, that crew violated the code of conduct in multiple ways.
The acoustics on LC river near the finish line are particularly good. Spectators can almost hear the rowers breathing. Not the first, won't be the last.

Also, nice performance by Shore in 2nd VIIIs - only 1400 (on a river) but they did finish strongly against Scots at State, and the switch to a bowside stroke seems to be paying dividends.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)

More specifically, the following points are made: -
PLAYERS
  1. Play may be hard and vigorous, but deliberate violence should never be used towards opponents.
  2. No person shall act towards or speak to any other person in a manner, or engage in any other conduct which threatens, disparages, vilifies or insults another person (the person vilified) on any basis, including but not limited to a person’s race, religion, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin, special ability/disability or sexual orientation, preference or identity.
  3. Players should not react with violence to any physical or verbal provocation.
  4. Use of bad language, where directed at an umpire/referee, another player or oneself, is unacceptable.
  5. Players should never argue with an umpire/referee (whether boy or adult) or contest a decision. Any negative response towards an umpire’s ruling is unacceptable. (A Captain – only – may ask a referee to clarify a ruling in the event of uncertainty.)
  6. Immodest behaviour in victory or success, and manifestation of self-disgust at an error or failure are poor sportsmanship. Gracious conduct, whatever the result of a game, is important.
  7. Unfair or illegal tactics to gain an advantage should never be used.
  8. Excessive or inappropriate talk should not be used on the field of play.
Players are encouraged to play in a positive and sportsmanlike manner and to extend every courtesy to the opposing team. This should include pre-match courtesies, recognition of good play on the part of the opposition and extending thanks to the umpire/referee and to the opposition after the match.
Definitely 4., 6. & 8. I didn't hear said anything that was villifying even from sources closer to the incident in question. Though 2. does just about cover everything!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
That is an interesting thought, but I share your skepticism. It would be a precedence and would have implications on other sports as well. However the school sport landscape has changed since 1893 and non-GPS schools have invested heavily in rowing as well (i.e. Kinross, Redands, St Augustine's, Cranbrook etc..). It would be great to see a more open school boy competition like in VIC.
May be more suitable for them to join the CAS? They have fewer members. Just doing rowing doesn't mean they would be interested in doing all the rest of the GPS song and dance. Also, I've heard they do have sport scholarships, so that'd count them out in light of the 'inducements or otherwise' code clanger.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Still think Joeys have Shore's measure. This week at SIRC should show the difference b/w the crews. If is 1 or 2 secs between them then game on. Joeys will feel the pressure w a lot of OB's turning up to see if they can win. Will be a great race. Nest 2 weeks preparation will be critical, as much mental as anything. Joeys favourites though Shore not far behind and hopefully closing still.

2nd VII also looking a beauty and could go wither way. Each way bet for those punters out there. Am hoping the boys from North Sydney can beat the lads from the East !

MR
Agree. Glad to have the gumball rally regatta out of the way. Nice goldware though... worth getting your club name engraved onto it (good to see SRC get it over SU). Reckon DJ will be using SRC as the way to get into Joeys heads. If they get the win over them on a level playing field, may be difficult for Joeys overcome the doubt. BUT Joeys have consistently show a strong last 750m, if they edge Shore early on then the doubt will be greater in Shore at the 1000m. Of course, Iggies and Scots are circling... third place is often a great surprise (especially when the favourite ends up there!)

saucyboy

Frank Row (1)
A big happy birthday to Matthew "Jack Wilton" Devlin - coach of the St Joseph's 3rd and 4th IV. However I don't think he will be very happy after the said crews performance at Gold Cup on the weekend. Disappointing.

Dadfaco

Frank Row (1)
Talking SB 1st Four race, St Augustine's won with their junior rep Zac van Appen, but with three year 10 boys from their Yr 10 eight, who raced only 20 odd min before. They switched the three rowers on the water after the finish line and rowed straight back up for their next race. Great story I would say.
True story - I saw their Y10 VIII row past the finish to HHill boatramp and swap 3 boys into the 1st IV - great story at Auggies has won this race 2 years in a row now

RandomPunter

Frank Row (1)
Some different approaches to racing for the last weekend before GPS HOR
On Saturday Scots have entered all their yr10 VIIIs in the 3rd VIII race at SIRC rather than go to Iron Cove and their yr 10 1st VIII is also entered in the 2nd VIII race at SIRC. Their 1st & 2nd VIII are not racing on Saturday
Shore have hedged their bets by entering their yr10 1st VIII in the 2nd VIII race at SIRC as well as entering the yr 10 1st VIII at iron cove
Grammar seem to have opted not to race any of their senior crews on Saturday
Newington has entered their 1st & 2nd VIII in the open VIII races as well as the schoolboy VIII races

On Sunday there are multiple approaches with NSW Schoolboys regatta
Shore is basically racing all their senior and yr 10 crews
Grammar have no entries
Kings has 1 yr 9 single
The other schools entries range through yr 10 IVs quads VIIIs and singles to year 8 & 9 crews

Some very different tapering approaches

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
What of the goss I just heard at SIRC that Shore entered a protest in 3rd eight race regarding Kinross and Scots not being authentic 3rd eight crews? If Shore pulled the same strategy in the 2nd eight race then it seems a bit absurd and disingenuous!

And unless there was a masterful foxing performance by Shore in the 1sts - in other words, deliberately coming 2nd - I think that 4 second margin says it all for next week.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Joeys appears to be fitter.
5ff2c625-cc79-4696-9eb0-936083100236

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
What of the goss I just heard at SIRC that Shore entered a protest in 3rd eight race regarding Kinross and Scots not being authentic 3rd eight crews? If Shore pulled the same strategy in the 2nd eight race then it seems a bit absurd and disingenuous!

Shore Yr10 VIII placed second in the 2nd VIII - is that your point?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Shore Yr10 VIII placed second in the 2nd VIII - is that your point?

yes. Just seems strange that they would enter a protest about Year 10 crew being non-authentic senior eight in one race when they worked the same ploy to their advantage in another senior eights race?

Status
Not open for further replies.