• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think a couple of her points were quite salient though.

It's somewhat irrelevant that the accusations relate to a time before he was contracted to rugby. He's with the Reds and the ARU now and that is what is being reflected.

I completely get the innocent until proven guilty concept and agree but it isn't nearly that simple. Damage to team and sport images as well as the sponsor brands doesn't wait on hold until there is an outcome. The damage starts immediately and at some point people may want to distance themselves from that.

I think the approach so far is the smart one. Stand him down until more information emerges after his first court appearance.

It really is a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for all involved.

I actually agree with you Braveheart. It is an extremely complex issue from the club's point of view, and by no means is the presumption of innocence the only factor the Reds should consider. My rant is more taking aim at the media than anything. If anything its the media obsession feasting on this issue that is destroying the sports image and hurting sponsors etc, and that in turn makes it very difficult from a corporate view point. We unfortunately live in the age of trial by media. Still as a society we must rise above that, if possible.

I'm probably taking aim, unfairly, at Georgina more as the 'embodiment' of the sports media more than anything. to be fair to me though it is very easy to make sweeping generalizations after a few white wines.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Was a tad annoyed that she referred to alofa and to a lesser extent big T as leaguies (don't know how long his played union but seeing his from Fiji and played schoolboys you assume a while) Both grew up playing union, should really push players where possible as juniors rather than league players who have converted

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It really is a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for all involved.

Not to mention the likely contractual complications related to this situation. I'd be surprised if the Reds would be able to release K without buying his contract out (maybe not fully - this all really depends on the strength of the "bringing the game into disrepute" clause, assuming he has one) unless he is actually convicted of a crime through all of this.

We unfortunately live in the age of trial be media. Still as a society we must rise above that, if possible.

This agonizes me daily and it's only getting worse in the United States by the minute.

I'm probably taking aim, unfairly, at Georgina more as the 'embodiment' of the sports media more than anything. to be fair to me though it is very easy to make sweeping generalizations after a few white wines.

I remember when she first came on and was the refreshing breath of air that wasn't fucking Grumbles. Her analysis was very light but at least she reported on the game and not bulltshit rumors from unnamed sources.

It's been a shame to see her ride such a downward spiral - likely at the behest of editors, producers and CFOs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
I remember when she first came on and was the refreshing breath of air that wasn't Grumbles. Her analysis was very light but at least she reported on the game and not bulltshit rumors from unnamed sources.
<snip>

I did note last night on Rugby HQ that she did make mention that she didn't go to the rugby to report about the quality of the pies.

McArdle also made mention of pies in the same conversation.

The memory and legend of Grumbles lives on at Fairfax and in the media.

Reactions: BDA

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems like a whole lot of Queenslanders cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Although I did read an article this week that a medical study has found that around 1,000 heart attacks each year in Australia are caused by extreme anger and rage so perhaps it's for the best that some of you have stopped watching Rugby HQ.

I wouldn't want your vitriol towards a journalist to literally kill you.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
I realise that standard NRL and ARU contracts have contractual clauses which deal with the idea of "bringing the game into disrepute", but that doesn't get around the fact that Hunt is guilty of nothing at this stage. If anything his only criticism in that regard can be that he associated with some people that were "potentially" involved in criminal activity.if that's the threshold for bringing the game into disrepute well then fuck, you might as well sack most of the professional footballs in this country.

Some journos just seem to have no concept of the presumption of innocence. this is something I'm passionate about.

I agree with you on this point.

Funnily enough, she was one of the ones supporting and defending someone who was found guilty of an offence (while not a crime, something I believe could have been said to have "brought the game into disrepute") and yet is very quick to make statements such as last night about others.

I guess it depends on what colour they wear.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Although I did read an article this week that a medical study has found that around 1,000 heart attacks each year in Australia are caused by extreme anger and rage so perhaps it's for the best that some of you have stopped watching Rugby HQ.

Cocaine can cause heart attacks (MIs).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Innocent until proven guilty is all well and good but I think the chances of their innocence in this case is quite small.

It's an CCC investigation, not some small criminal act where police decide to charge them with little evidence (eg. an assault charge made from allegations only). The CCC are not going to press charges unless they have at least some substantial evidence.

In this case, even if they are proven innocent, they still put themselves in a poor environment and made a poor choice of mates by being in contact with some-one connected with a drug syndicate. This is disappointing enough from so called professional athletes and respected role models.

Personally, given these guys are being charged by the CCC is evidence enough they haven't been great role models. Maybe they aren't drug dealers but they certainly aren't acting like professional athletes either.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Innocent until proven guilty is all well and good but I think the chances of their innocence in this case is quite small.

It's an CCC investigation, not some small criminal act where police decide to charge them with little evidence (eg. an assault charge made from allegations only). The CCC are not going to press charges unless they have at least some substantial evidence.

In this case, even if they are proven innocent, they still put themselves in a poor environment and made a poor choice of mates by being in contact with some-one connected with a drug syndicate. This is disappointing enough from so called professional athletes and respected role models.

Personally, given these guys are being charged by the CCC is evidence enough they haven't been great role models. Maybe they aren't drug dealers but they certainly aren't acting like professional athletes either.
most people who go to court are guilty of an offence. The ones who get off are usually on technicalities and not because they did nothing. Police have far better things to do than send people to court who did nothing.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
most people who go to court are guilty of an offence. The ones who get off are usually on technicalities and not because they did nothing. Police have far better things to do than send people to court who did nothing.

It has been said that justice is available to those who can afford it.

Not in terms of corrupting the judiciary, but in terms of having sufficient resources to engage the necessary legal horsepower for long enough to wage a sustained campaign on all fronts to beat the rap - all the way to the High Court if necessary.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Its a bit unfortunate that that sort of reaction happens. There was a piece on Junior Gold Cup that was well worth seeing if you can manage to get past any personalities you may not like.

Status
Not open for further replies.