• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Brumbies Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
1. Toby Smith (Rebel #60, 15 Rebels Caps)
2. Pat Leafa (Rebel #57, 20 Rebels Caps)
3. Laurie Weeks (Rebel #19, 55 Rebels Caps)
4. Luke Jones (Rebel #32, 48 Rebels Caps)
5. Lopeti Timani (Rebel #69, 4 Rebels Caps)
6. Sean McMahon (Rebel #62, 15 Rebels Caps)
7. Colby Fainga’a (Rebel #65, 17 Rebels Caps)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Captain) (Rebel #46, 31 Rebels Caps)
9. Nic Stirzaker (Rebel #38, 25 Rebels Caps)
10. Jack Debreczeni (Rebel #71, 7 Rebels Caps)
11. Tom English (Rebel #50, 28 Rebels Caps)
12. Mitch Inman (Rebel #35, 46 Rebels Caps)
13. Tamati Ellison (Rebel #62, 17 Rebels Caps)
14. Dom Shipperley (Rebel #75, 2 Rebels Caps)
15. Mike Harris (Rebel #76, 2 Rebels Caps)
Reserves:
16. Ben Whittaker (0 Rebels Caps)*
17. Cruze Ah-Nau (Rebel #59, 13 Rebels Caps)
18. Paul Alo-Emile (Rebel #44, 37 Rebels Caps)
19. Sam Jeffries (Rebel #74, 2 Rebels Cap)
20. Scott Fuglistaller (Rebel #45, 34 Rebels Caps)
21. Luke Burgess (Rebel #56, 18 Rebels Caps)
22. Bryce Hegarty (Rebel #54, 23 Rebels Caps)
23. Sefanaia Naivalu (Rebel #77, 2 Rebels Caps)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Not impressed with Stirzaker starting at all, think he should have been made earn his spot back. Burgo had a good game against the Tahs and does not deserve to be dropped/treated like this.

Think Colby is lucky to hold onto the starting position.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watch the replay of last weeks game & tell me why Colby is lucky to hold his spot. 3 times in the first half he should have been awarded penalties when he was first on the ball but for some reason the ref wasn't playing that rule in this game. There was not one penalty to either side for "not releasing". He got panned by the commentators for not passing the ball when "supposedly" a try was on but if you have another look the closest player outside him was a good 30 metres away & Hooper was the widest defender. Hey, not saying he had a blinder but he didn't deserve to get dropped on that game & Fugs hardly made a huge impact to warrant taking his place.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Neville injured or just not good enough atm?

Not good enough.

As for Stirzaker/Burgess, I don't like Burgess as much as most of you. I think his passing veers between average and dreadful, makes things harder for Debreczeni than they need to be. It depends what you value.

Burgess is a better defender and deals with the referee better. I'd argue their running games are equal. I reckon they organise the forwards about as well as each other, but I'm open to hearing otherwise. Stirzaker's pass is far superior. One of the reasons the Rising were so successful in the NRC is because Stirzaker was able to put the ball out in front of Debreczeni and have him run onto it. I can see why McGahan and the Rebels want to see the same.

Liking the selection consistency, although I think both wingers are on thin ice.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
in reality the brumbies really should win easily and may do so. i wonder how steve walsh will referee the breakdown, if he allows the defensive team fair access to the tackled player and penalises the attacker for holding on, the rebels aggression at the breakdown may keep them in it. if he does a "gardener", i cannot see the rebels defence being able keep the Brums from eventually scoring or doing enough with their own ball in attack to outscore them. could be close but i fear it won't be.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My beef with Stirzaker coming straight back into the starting line up is he has to earn it back not just walk into it. Yes, he is a good prospect to lead the Rebels but Burgo was one of the best on the field last week and didn't do anything stupid to get suspended for a week so why should he lose his spot.

All this talk about culture and discipline and the first chance of 2015 to prove things have changed and they flop all over what they are trying to instill. 50 to 60 minutes on the bench for little Red to get the hunger to not F@ck up again would have been better than saying its ok to be stupid and get suspended, we will keep your spot. Don't forget he got a yellow in the trial against the Reds as well for stupidity as well.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rebs to bounce back this week and win against the Brums.

Reckon all Tahsand Reds supporters will be hoping a towelling up occurs (in the Rebels favour)

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Liking the selection consistency, although I think both wingers are on thin ice.

apart from one wayward pass against the Cru, that probably cost a try, English has done little wrong. Shipperley likewise and i thought he did a lot of good things last week. they haven't really had any useful attacking ball in either game, the aforesaid pass being the exception. having said that i think "supa sefa" has looked right at home when he has come on.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree the wingers have had very few opportunities & don't deserve the axe.
Would love to see the Rebels get some pill out to them or at least allow them to chance their arm in counter attack rather than kicking most of the ball back to the opposition.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Rebels have a tricky position where 3 or 4 outside backs missing out on the matchday 23 are all very close in ability to the people playing.

Crawford, Kingston, Veainu and Placid are all fairly unlucky not to be getting a run (ignoring the fact that I think Kingston is currently injured; he'd still be outside this matchday 23).

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm normally loath to use volume stats, but in this case I'll put them out there. Against the Tahs English had two carries, made three tackles, missed one tackle, caughed the ball up once, and hit one ruck. It's an extraordinarly low workrate. We could put half of G&GR out on a wing and they'd give you that. Shipperly was a bit better, had essentially double those numbers, but still nothing special.

To an extent they've been hamstrung by lack of possession and the gameplan, but good players find ways to get involved.

Kevin, that's fair enough. Hard to say without knowing what the dynamic is within the team though. He might have apologised to the team, McGahan might have given him an absolute bake and he's pulled his head in, could be a fair few things going on. You wouldn't want to see it again though, not something you want to get a reputation for.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm normally loath to use volume stats, but in this case I'll put them out there. Against the Tahs English had two carries, made three tackles, missed one tackle, caughed the ball up once, and hit one ruck. It's an extraordinarly low workrate. We could put half of G&GR out on a wing and they'd give you that. Shipperly was a bit better, had essentially double those numbers, but still nothing special.

To an extent they've been hamstrung by lack of possession and the gameplan, but good players find ways to get involved.

I agree with this. He could be doing plenty more to get involved. Truck it up once or twice close to the ruck. Come in closer and run off Inman or Timani's shoulder hoping for an offload etc. etc.

Maybe he needs the temperature to drop sharply in Melbourne so he gets involved more to stave off hypothermia out on the wing. ;)

Right now, English is spending too much time just relaxativing out wide.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I found another site that had him with one run and only two tackles. I think it's fair to say he had a low involvement game. Hopefully he's been given a rocket up his arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.