• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
you had three in yours. Surely to be expected.

Well you read the press, Alexanders a dead THP walking and shouldnt be selected.. Bongo was about 9th cab of the rank.. Im pretty sure most teams have a wallaby hooker some have 2 and has Sio played a test ?

I did expect the Brumbies to take them apart.. But Slippers Vice Captain wont be dropped Finger is in front of Bongo .. and Alexander rubbish if we believe everything on here.

T

TOCC

My interest quickly feigned on that match so maybe I missed some scrums, whilst the Brumbies front row were certainly better around the ground, I don't remember them been overly dominant in the scrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BDA

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
My interest quickly feigned on that match so maybe I missed some scrums, whilst the Brumbies front row were certainly better around the ground, I don't remember them been overly dominant in the scrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they were over the reserve Reds front row, can't recall any dominance against the starting Reds front row though.

Could just be my recollections though, as I can recall the Reds being dominated in most other facets of the game, the worst of all was the ruck contest.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There weren't a lot of scrums in that first match..........

There might've been only one scrum with both starting front rows.............

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There weren't a lot of scrums in that first match....

There might've been only one scrum with both starting front rows.....

Actually I think your right, in the match day thread I said first scrum of the game it was in the second half..

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Actually I think your right, in the match day thread I said first scrum of the game it was in the second half..

There might have been one on the first half which I think was pretty stable. Slipper was off before 60 minutes so I don't think he had another and Horwill spent most of the second half in the bin so they may have been packing more than a few against 7, I went on to wipe most of the game from memory though so I can't be too certain.

As far as wallabies props go it's Slipper and Sio for loose head with no one else anywhere near them. They're both our best scrummaging props and our best around the ground. While Sio's early form has been excellent Slipper's has still been good, if a little interrupted, and I wouldn't be swapping the pecking order, particularly with slipper proven at test level. That said I'd probably give Sio at least one start in the RC potentially resting Slipper completely fro a game in prep for the world cup. Maybe look at Robinson, Cowan or Smith then, though it might be better try one of the tightheads who can arguably play both sides at loosehead.

As far as tight head goes it's Kepu starting with a bit of a log jam behind him. It'll become clearer as the season progresses and more of these guys come up against each other and Boks/Blacks but we'll probably need to try a few in the RC, again possibly resting Kepu once to keep him fresh for the WC. atm it looks like Alexander, Weeks, Talakai and Faulkner, but one more week like the last two and it'll be hard to argue for Faulkner, even though he looked ok in the EOYT. I'd expect Holmes to be in contention when he comes back from injury but if Talakai keeps it up he may struggle to get the start back and who knows how his shoulder will go. I suppose Ryan could come back into contention but after last years awful cameo against the French he'd have to do a hell off a lot.

If we take 5 props to the WC I'd expect 2 looseheads (Slipper and Sio) 2 tightheads (Kepu and ???) and a tighthead who can play loosehead (???). I'd expect Alexander to take one of those spots and atm Weeks is looking best for the other. I can only really see any of the other looseheads in the squad in the case of an injury.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Alexander, Faulkner, Weeks, PAE, Holmes and maybe even Talakai seem to be the options.

You've listed nearly every THP in the country, except Patty Ryan. He's been a bit of a disappointment really.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's where we're at, those 1-2 backup tighthead spots are wide open right now, though Faulkner is playing himself out of contention atm.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Boom!

Stephen Larkham and Nathan Grey have been officially appointed assistant coaches for the Wallabies for the 2015 test season (and RWC).

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...AN-GREY-TO-JOIN-QANTAS-WALLABIES-IN-2015.aspx

Simon Roberts has been appointed as the Qantas Wallabies Team Operations Manager while Patrick Molihan will be the Qantas Wallabies Team Manager.

The Qantas Wallabies will continue their search for a set piece coach following the departure of Andrew Blades.

Surely the prime targets for set piece coach should be Foley or Stiles.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Force's last 2 set piece performances probably cost Foley. Good to see Gray retained, we'll need that aggressive dominant defence in the RWC.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Read some article this morning suggesting that PAE, Ryan, Neville and Frisby are somehow in Cheika's selection frame.

Neville I understand. He's been with the squad for a while now and is built in the same mould as Kane Douglas.

PAE? yeah ok. definitely has potential to be an option at THP (despite a rusty start to the season).

Ryan?!...mm seriously this one is a head scratcher. The bloke is surely at least 6th of 7th in line in terms of scrummaging ability. He might be decent around the park for the Tahs but make no mistake about it we need THPs that can scrum. I don't care if they can't do anything else.

Frisby?! ...no disrespect to Frisby (the great Reds player that he is), but I'm not sure he should be in the selection frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.