• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
KOB 50 off 24 then slaps one straight to cover, UAE's game to lose from here. Looking at the Table I'd kinda like the Oirish to do this, if only 'cos it'd put them above Sethfricka :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
24 from 25 balls for the Spud Bashers to win with 4 wickets in hand.

The Paddy's look like they might do this. Can't afford to lose any more wickets.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
UAE keeper needs to move up a bit so Wilson can't charge Javed, it's not like the guys bowling that quick, 130 tops.

EDIT: another DRS fail, that was fuckin' out for all the Guiness in Dublin. Justice next ball, 259/7.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wilson goooone for 80, great innings overshadowed by KOB's smashathon. 12 needed off 15, both batsmen yet to face a ball........

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Docktell smashes a 4, that should see the Oirish home, 3 from 6 required & Naveed to bowl the last over.

Dockrell puts it up high, UAE can't get anyone under it & so it's game Ireland. Expect KOB will be MOTM, bowling figures looked pretty good & his hitting is what got them back in it after looking dead in the water. OK, they've given it to Wilson.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fuck me this is embarrassing, WI 6/63 in the 18th. Chasing such a huge total they were always gonna struggle but this is just feeble. Somewhere Sir Viv & Sir Clive (not to mention Sir Garfield) are, rightly, feeling very cranky.........

And crankier, 7/63.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fuck me this is embarrassing, WI 6/63 in the 18th. Chasing such a huge total they were always gonna struggle but this is just feeble. Somewhere Sir Viv & Sir Clive (not to mention Sir Garfield) are, rightly, feeling very cranky...

And crankier, 7/63.
De Villiers is good but jeez that WI bowling attack would struggle for a start in a half decent pub team. That WI bowler that De Villiers hit 34 off in one over had no control over where the ball was going, or his feet. For a team that had bowlers like Garner, Marshall and Co it's a crying shame to see.
^^^^^ I just did & it replied "I'm a bottle of Jameson's. You're the human. You work it out, dumbfuck"
There's your problem. Bushmills has a far better vocabulary.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
De Villiers is good but jeez that WI bowling attack would struggle for a start in a half decent pub team. That WI bowler that De Villiers hit 34 off in one over had no control over where the ball was going, or his feet. For a team that had bowlers like Garner, Marshall and Co it's a crying shame to see.

There's your problem. Bushmills has a far better vocabulary.

Not in my experience but haven't sampled it for a year or three, things may have changed so may have to reintroduce myself to Mr Bushmill & report back........

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Isn't one the drink of the Northern Protestants and the other the drink of the Irish Catholics?

Forget which brand of grog is associated with brand of faith. Like the Ford vs Holden debate at Bathurst, an irish Bushmill drinker will never have a Jameson's and vice versa.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^* didn't know that but then again my ancestry is pretty mixed (even by kiwi standards), Papists & Proddys on both sides of Mum's family in pretty much equal measure as far as I can tell.

Tell you what, how's about I get me a bottle of each, go shot for shot & report back on the results? It will, I assure you, be a short report but I'm willing to take a few for the team & settle the matter once & for all (or until next time, whichever comes first).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This banter over Paddy whiskies is delightful to read, but fellas, we do have a spirits thread. Best post these gems over there. Cricket only here please.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently it's a myth. Choice of Irish Whiskeys is driven by geographic factors more than religious affiliations.

Jameson is Catholic and Bushmills is Protestant.
This is one of the myths we encounter all the time, since Bushmills is located in predominantly Protestant Northern Ireland, and Jameson is produced in the heavily Catholic Republic of Ireland. But "this couldn't be any further from the truth," McGarry says. For one, because there are only a few distilleries on the whole island, they trade casks. So your Bushmills may contain some Jameson-made whiskey. That's not to mention that the current master distiller at Bushmills, Colum Egan, is Catholic, and that John Jameson, founder of his eponymous brand, was likely Protestant -- and Scottish, for that matter.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/liquorcom/the-five-biggest-irish-wh_b_4819002.html

Back on theme. Looking forward to tomorrows match which may be repeated in the Grand Final - on our pitch, in front of our fans, in our town.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This banter over Paddy whiskies is delightful to read, but fellas, we do have a spirits thread. Best post these gems over there. Cricket only here please.

Fair call but in closing can I just remind everyone that the TRUE water of life (uise beatha) first arose in Ireland. Everything else & since - Scotch, Bourbon etc - is but a copy & a poor one at that. Except possibly Jack Daniel's with L&P.

And @HJ that's pretty much it, innit? Good booze trumps crappy religion every fucking time.

Status
Not open for further replies.