• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Transition from Schoolboy Rugby to Colts - Is there a better way?

• Thread starter spirit of cupertino
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They were with UTS last year.these scholarships aren't all they're cracked up to be: a couple of grand at most is what I've been told.
Recruiting at Sydney Uni has moved focus away from the rockstars: experience suggests they create as many problems as they solve was what I was told.

It at least one case that I know, it involved a boy being admitted to a course when his ATAR was about 20 marks short. Down the track, this could mean big money for the boy/s involved if this is what the scheme involves, rather than anything much now.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
There was interesting if hesitant start to a discussion on theis thread top on Rugby HQ yesterday on Fox. The gap is the issue and League do better than ARU.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This problem is really about expectations.
Very few rugby players of either code make enough money from the game to not have to work again.
Accordingly you need a life and a working life after you finish and the best way to do that is to get some sort of tertiary education or qualification.
It is no bad thing for kids to have to knuckle down at uni/tafe/a job to make ends meet between school and being snapped up by their s15 franchise.
In the end they'll likely have better lives for the unremunerative hard slog they have to put in.
Try telling the over ambitious short sighted parents that, though.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
It at least one case that I know, it involved a boy being admitted to a course when his ATAR was about 20 marks short. Down the track, this could mean big money for the boy/s involved if this is what the scheme involves, rather than anything much now.

I'd be interested to know what Uni that is. I thought that 5 pts was the max ever given, and that was not universal and depended on the course the student wanted to do?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^Unis can admit anyone they want to a degree. The marks are just an arbitrary cut off and usually based on demand and in fairness it is often dropped if there are less applicants than usual. Some courses also have an interview component and various other mechanisms for admitting people that don't get the ATAR advertised. For some courses the bigger unis like Sydney might have a cut off for a course which is significantly higher than somewhere else, so the ATAR is not always a reflection of the intelligence needed to complete the course either.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I cannot see it being for Med or Law. The ATAR influence would be heard long and loud across the campus. Maybe something more along the Arts line like flower arranging you could hide a 20 point deficit in, but definitely not in the big ones

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There was interesting if hesitant start to a discussion on theis thread top on Rugby HQ yesterday on Fox. The gap is the issue and League do better than ARU.

We can't afford a semi pro U20s comp, til we can, there isn't much to be done.

And the transition?

It ain't hard playing colts, a decent school kid who was been playing reps will have no issues apart from ego related injuries

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
I saw this article on the Randwick website and seemed to remember reading something like this before.

Young players to watch
Randwick Rugby is proud to showcase Drew Kellaway as one of our Gen Blue and NSW U20s reps. Following his breakthrough 2014 season after graduating from The Scots College in 2013, Andrew was a force to be reckoned with. He was outstanding in the Junior World Cup last year in New Zealand coming away with a record ten tries scored during the tournament. Following the #JWC14 he added flare to Randwick 1st Grade's back line snagging a few incredible meat pies. Andrew then successfully set his sights on the #NRC delighting the fans and supporters.
Andrew Deegan is another of our NSW 20s representatives. A St Josephs College graduate of 2013, Andrew is of the most improved in the Club. He made his 1st Grade debut in 2014, the Coogee faithful relishing his calculated kicking and attacking options from fullback. Andrew integrated back into 1st Colts where he organised and marshalled the side around the park at fly half , always putting them on the front foot. Andrew commutes to Bond University on the Gold Coast. When in Sydney he is a valued member of the Coogee Bowling Club's staff.
NSW 20s halfback Mitch Short came from The Scots College to Randwick last year. He was the irreplaceable link in attack and defence not missing a game throughout the whole 1st Colts premiership winning season. As he matures, he will be one to watch on the big stage.
Olly Kamp is another of our NSW under 20s representatives. He was an integral part of the backrow last year in the 1st Colts winning side until an ankle injury brought him down. He's back to full fitness and one to watch.
Nick Kellaway is another to represent NSW under 20s. Nick was a part of the winning 1st Colts 2014 side after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction. From all reports he has been excellent in the 2nd row and back row with his ball running and offloads.

I think it was the Gordon Juniors website - all 5 of them. I guess it is the only recruitment strategy available to the Wicks given the two clubs successes at recent State Championships.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 1 of Subbies and round 4 of Premier Colts last weekend. Everyone should have decided what their footy requirements and commitments are for the year. Those studying are at TAFE or Uni, and those not are either spending M&D's money on a Gap Year or they have landed some sort of paid employment.

No more theory about the transition from Schools to Colts. It is a reality for the Class of 2014.

How has it gone? How could it have been done any better?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
11017068_911035288933006_2488072522667009856_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.