• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some news!

MACQUARIE University North Harbour Rays have re-appointed Geoff Townsend to lead them through the 2015 National Rugby Championship season.

Townsend, who has guided Gordon through the rebuilding of the club over the past couple of seasons, backs up after being thrown the reins at the Rays last year when Phil Blake took up a plum appointment with the Leicester Tigers in the English premiership.

“Geoff did a great job bringing players from our four feeder clubs (Gordon, Manly, Northern Suburbs and Warringah) together and I am sure he will be able to build on that very solid foundation in 2015,” Rays chairman Gary Flowers said.

“I can remember remarking during the season that you wouldn’t know that the Rays were a team that had come together from four clubs that only weeks earlier had been such fierce Shute Shield rivals.”

The Rays missed out on the playoffs in finishing in seventh position, but going into the final round match against great Sydney rivals the Sydney Stars at Leichhardt Oval, they still had a chance of making the four-team semi-final series.

In the end the Rays’ eight-game NRC season was made up of two wins, two draws and four losses but they forged a reputation for having one of the hardest packs in the inaugural running of the competition.

The Rays in many people’s eyes were what the NRC was all about and exposed a number of players to a higher level of competition.

Since the end of the season skipper Greg Peterson has played Test Rugby for the USA Eagles and has picked up a contract with the Leicester Tigers while young centre Mali Hingano has been signed for French Top 14 club La Rochelle where he often starts in the centres.

Young Manly Marlins hooker Dave Porecki is now training with the NSW Waratahs and has been used in the Gen Blue system in recent weeks.

But set piece reliability was an ongoing issue for the Rays in 2014 and this hurt the team and the results that were produced.

“That’s obviously an area that we will need to improve on to make the playoffs (of the NRC) in 2015,” Townsend said.

“The focus now is on the clubs with the start of the Shute Shield a week away, but we will be working away in the background to make sure that we bring together a structure and a playing group that will do justice to the whole Rays concept.”

The coaching team will be fleshed out in coming weeks but the Rays will need to replace former Warringah first grade coach Haig Sare who has moved to Queensland to be closer to his family.

Sare worked closely with the backs at the Rays and drew on his stromg relationship with the Rats backline stars who made up a fair slice of the backline.

The NRC season will kick off on Thursday, August 20 with the grand final to be played on the weekend of November 1 right in the midst of the Rugby World Cup in the UK.

The competition is sure to be an ideal proving ground if and when injuries hit the Wallabies throughout RWC 2015.

The Rays played their four home games at Brookvale Oval and averaged a little of 2000 through the gate at each of these matches. They also featured in four of Fox Sports televised games.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I sense a continuation of last season of continuing to back local players long term I think it will work but it may take a few seasons.

The Northern area of Sydney produces a lot of professional players and I assume players will start to stick with the Rays if possible and other players may return so they can spend that 8 weeks at home if they are contracted with an interstate franchise.

Can only wait and see though. What do you see the Rays coming this season?

Training squads must be announced soon/ a squad will start training.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
My crack at a Rays squad at present :

Props : Collins, Lewis, Maraki (M), O'Connor, Borsak (W), Fraser (G), Hunting (N)
Hookers : Porecki (M), Holmes L (W), Hobden (G) (Assuming Weeks goes to Country, last year they carried Lewis as a third hooker).
Second Row : Gower, Melrose (M), Johnson, Wilson (G) (Adams from Warringah may come under consideration).
6/7 : Dempsey, Rissman (G), Bergelin, Ale (M), Cunningham (W) (Killingworth not considered due to injury, Wells not considered due to 7's, Miller, Matwijow assumed going to Country).
8 : Ward (W), Alley (M) (Rorke from Gordon may come under consideration here)
9 : Lucas (M), Holmes J (W), Preston T (G)
10 : Lane (M), Angus (W), Kay (N)
11/14 : Jones (if fit), Davis (W), Hooper, Northam (assuming just returning from injury in 2nd grade) (M)
12/13 Hodge, Pili - Gaitau (M), Adams (W), Simkin (if he stays fit) (G) (Matthews not considered as going to France).
15 Feltscheer (W), Hartmann (M)

That is a 36 man squad at present.

Numbers are Manly (15), Warringah (11), Gordon (8), Northern Suburbs (2)

My match day 23 at present assuming all are fit :

1. O'Connor (W)
2. Porecki (M)
3. Collins (M)
4. Gower (M)
5. Johnson (G)
6. Cunningham (W)
7. Dempsey (G)
8. Ward (W)
9. Lucas (M)
10. Lane (M)
11. Jones (W)
12. Hodge (M)
13. Pili - Gaitau (M)
14. Northam (M)
15. Feltscheer (W)

16. Lewis (M)
17. Holmes L (W)
18. Fraser (G)
19. Melrose (M)
20. Ale (M)
21. Holmes J (W)
22. Angus (W)
23. Adams (W)

Numbers are Manly (11), Warringah (9), Gordon (3)

Norths players not included that would come under consideration are as follows Will Weeks (assumed going to Country), Ben Matwijow (Country), Will Miller (Country), Michael Wells & Peter Schuster (7's Program).

It will be interesting to see if Kay stays with the Rays program if selected as he has country roots.

Palu & Hooper (M) haven't been included but would obviously be selected. Fardy (W) will probably be allocated again I assume? Not sure on situation of Cam Crawford (N).

Gone from last season with my squad Gukibau (G), Hingano (France), Vaevae (M), McNamara (N), Tagicakibau (M), Sefanaia (not sure where he has gone?), Peterson (USA), Killingworth (W), Daruda (QLD)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My crack at a Rays squad at present :

Props : Collins, Lewis, Maraki (M), O'Connor, Borsak (W), Fraser (G), Hunting (N)
Hookers : Porecki (M), Holmes L (W), Hobden (G) (Assuming Weeks goes to Country, last year they carried Lewis as a third hooker).
Second Row : Gower, Melrose (M), Johnson, Wilson (G) (Adams from Warringah may come under consideration).
6/7 : Dempsey, Rissman (G), Bergelin, Ale (M), Cunningham (W) (Killingworth not considered due to injury, Wells not considered due to 7's, Miller, Matwijow assumed going to Country).
8 : Ward (W), Alley (M) (Rorke from Gordon may come under consideration here)
9 : Lucas (M), Holmes J (W), Preston T (G)
10 : Lane (M), Angus (W), Kay (N)
11/14 : Jones (if fit), Davis (W), Hooper, Northam (assuming just returning from injury in 2nd grade) (M)
12/13 Hodge, Pili - Gaitau (M), Adams (W), Simkin (if he stays fit) (G) (Matthews not considered as going to France).
15 Feltscheer (W), Hartmann (M)

That is a 36 man squad at present.

Numbers are Manly (15), Warringah (11), Gordon (8), Northern Suburbs (2)

My match day 23 at present assuming all are fit :

1. O'Connor (W)
2. Porecki (M)
3. Collins (M)
4. Gower (M)
5. Johnson (G)
6. Cunningham (W)
7. Dempsey (G)
8. Ward (W)
9. Lucas (M)
10. Lane (M)
11. Jones (W)
12. Hodge (M)
13. Pili - Gaitau (M)
14. Northam (M)
15. Feltscheer (W)

16. Lewis (M)
17. Holmes L (W)
18. Fraser (G)
19. Melrose (M)
20. Ale (M)
21. Holmes J (W)
22. Angus (W)
23. Adams (W)

Numbers are Manly (11), Warringah (9), Gordon (3)

Norths players not included that would come under consideration are as follows Will Weeks (assumed going to Country), Ben Matwijow (Country), Will Miller (Country), Michael Wells & Peter Schuster (7's Program).

It will be interesting to see if Kay stays with the Rays program if selected as he has country roots.

Palu & Hooper (M) haven't been included but would obviously be selected. Fardy (W) will probably be allocated again I assume? Not sure on situation of Cam Crawford (N).

Gone from last season with my squad Gukibau (G), Hingano (France), Vaevae (M), McNamara (N), Tagicakibau (M), Sefanaia (not sure where he has gone?), Peterson (USA), Killingworth (W), Daruda (QLD)

Well put together, and close to what i think.
Chris Cocca currently injured and close to returning would be my starting 3 (did his knee against Uni)
I'd have Bergelin starting, we don't have tall timber, and i reckon he'd lead the comp in line out steals.
Lucas - he's my bolter for the RWC, , but i think he has a gig in Europe after the season. He would be my first picked in your above team

A couple more and I'll report in after this weekend.
Maraki / OÇonnor
BJ / Felts

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Matt Lucas will join an Italian club side prior to the start of NRC.
Kotoni Ale terrible news.

Need some work up front. A front row of O'Connor, Porecki and Collins will get towelled up in this competition. Perth, Bris City and Melb will have an all Super 15 pack.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Matt Lucas will join an Italian club side prior to the start of NRC.
Kotoni Ale terrible news.

Need some work up front. A front row of O'Connor, Porecki and Collins will get towelled up in this competition. Perth, Bris City and Melb will have an all Super 15 pack.

Last year the rays could field a fairly formidable side if they could access players that started there careers with one of the 4 clubs - haven't checked this year.

T

Train Without a Station

Bris City will have Super Rugby level props because they've put a lot of time into second string options like Talaki, Faagaase and Pareka. Keep in mind that the Reds entire starting front row will likely be with the Wallabies.

It just so happens that they've worked to give good game time to players in their first year of Super Rugby.

Many other teams would have just rode Slipper and Holmes for 80 most games, or moved Slipper to THP and Daley to LHP with Holmes out rather than try untested players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A big part of that has also been forced. Talakai got several games at the start of the season because Holmes was injured and then Daley has been injured in the back end of the season.

Slipper also missed a game or two didn't he?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Slipper hasn't missed any Paraka has only played 4 games this season due to the injury to Daley. Not only the Rays but other Sydney based teams will need to find props or develop (with a long term vision) props who will be able to hold their own.

T

Train Without a Station

A big part of that has also been forced. Talakai got several games at the start of the season because Holmes was injured and then Daley has been injured in the back end of the season.

Slipper also missed a game or two didn't he?

Not really. At one time they have always had 2 of Daley, Slipper and Holmes available. They were never forced to use untried players with the exception of replacing Slipper during a couple of games due to injury. They have, and it has generally gone well (I think the 2nd Brumbies game and the Waratahs games were the only times they really struggled).

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Melbourne will want to hang onto Weeks and Metcher especially with PAE moving on at the seasons end. Gillespie will head back to the Rams but I can see Millar staying in Perth to develop having jumped Hoskins

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Bris City will have Super Rugby level props because they've put a lot of time into second string options like Talaki, Faagaase and Pareka. Keep in mind that the Reds entire starting front row will likely be with the Wallabies.
If Bruce Ross still floated around i think he'd jump in and correct you on Talaki, not sure on the other chaps

T

Train Without a Station

Correct me on what? That the Reds have put a lot of time into Talaki this year and backed his potential rather then taking the safe option of moving Slipper to THP temporarily?

If I recall correctly Talaki was only on the bench for City last year as well. Clearly he was underutilized.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Correct me on what? That the Reds have put a lot of time into Talaki this year and backed his potential rather then taking the safe option of moving Slipper to THP temporarily?

If I recall correctly Talaki was only on the bench for City last year as well. Clearly he was underutilized.

One season that isn't even complete yet, compared to many years of colts and grade. The initial post sounded like they were solely responsible for were he is today - I must have read it incorrectly.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Talakai played 7 NRC games last year before injuring his ankle (Started all but 2 games). Being injured for the start of Reds pre season, Syd Uni have groomed him well before moving north into a professional environment. 60+ 1st grade caps as a THP for Syd Uni starting out as a 20yr old 4 seasons ago is one way for a young kid to learn his trade. Possibly an avenue other clubs can take

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Talakai played 7 NRC games last year before injuring his ankle (Started all but 2 games). If anything Syd Uni have groomed him well before moving him up into a professional environment. 60+ 1st grade caps as a THP for Sydney Uni starting out as a 20yr old 4 seasons ago is one way for a young kid to learn his trade

thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.