• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hugh 7,000 likes I thought Reg was good with 4,300 - did you start posting when you were 12?

How Jets has 2,000 like I do not know and I'll never ever narrow my gap with the Filth at 700 v my 200.

I'd say that the Trainer GB will have me covered by mid season if Norths string a few wins together - interesting trial result v Souths. What were the relative strengths of the trial side?

I play to the crowd TT. It's pretty simple just give you a hard time and wait for the reaction, people love it. ;)

I'm looking forward to the season this year, I have no club involvement and will spend a bit more time at St Lucia than I have been able to do in the past.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Norths v Souths Trial was very scrappy from both sides.
The 3rd quarter was probably the better rugby of the game.
Being a Tues night, it took both teams a while to settle down and play rugby. But overall - a scrappy affair with some good open rugby.
Souths fullback - Milne? was probably the best player on the paddock. Very busy and got involved as often as he could.
Souths also had a very solid scrum and will test some packs this year for sure. Lacked a bit of height through the middle though, although, everyone looks tall to me.
Probably about 25-28 players used by both sides.
No injuries from what I could see, although David Feao looked like he may have picked up a rib or shoulder injury. Was hard to tell but he looked like he was in a bit of pain. He played on though. Tough bugger.
Game was played on the #1, and considering the whole field was under water about 72hrs prior to kick off, the ground held up well.
A big thanks to the volunteers who were there on Monday afternoon cleaning it up!!!

Norths play Wests this weekend in a full club trial at Shaw Road.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I have heard good things about the North’s backline. However I received mix reports on the forward pack. However being pre-season this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt as its just as likely for the forwards to be the jewel lint he norths crown and the backs to be the erratic.

TrainerGB can you confirm or deny that Norths backline is looking crisp this year and people should be wary?

T

Tigers Tale

We might get a bit of a form line for the Rnd 1 Norths v Easts game with the Tigers taking on the Magpies at the Yeronga Nest tomorrow.

T

Tigers Tale

Don't know why but seems that every time of recent years the Souths v Easts trial is played at the Nest.

T

Tigers Tale

A Norths cricket mate of mine tells me that he sees a lot of guys wearing GPS clobber turning up to Hugh Courtney training.

Will be interesting to see the respective impact on both clubs in 2015.

Big Dog/TGB is that what you are hearing?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
TT - Our training t-shirts this year are incredible hulk green.

He may be confused?

We like to mix things up.

Next year we are looking at magenta and aubergine.......

;)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unless there has been some mass exodus in the lower grades then I think only about 2-3 blokes who would be considered Premier standard fled Yoku for Shaw Rd.

The impact of players leaving has actually been minimal at this stage I believe, not as many gone to Souths or Norths as people first imagined. The fact that all GPS current Reds stayed with the club is also a good sign.

Retirements and full-time life are having a bigger impact on the club at the moment from all reports.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sunnybank seem to be struggling for numbers this year which is odd. They only had 16 players available for a 2nds/3rds squad trial yesterday.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I see Thor made his Brothers debut today. Any reports? Did he play colts or grade?

Played Prem Grade. His scrumaging was quite good against a uni pack which lost their hooker just before kick off and a prop about 5 mins in. But still had a reasonable front row.

His work around the park was alright, he was stopped in his tracks most times by good uni defense. Once or twice he got a bit of a roll on.... one powerful fend. No more than 5 meter runs I'd say but I was watching from behind the posts.

I was quite impressed with his brother as well. Made plenty of tough yards.

It pains me say it but the Filth could be pretty sharp this year. Their piggies look big and powerful. Backs were OK.... a good backline would have torn up with the platform their forwards laid.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Results yesterday

Colts 2: Brothers
Colts 1: Brothers
Premier Colts: University
3rd Grade: University
2nd Grade: Brothers
1st Grade: Brothers
Premier Reserve: Brothers
Premier Grade: Brothers

(results need double checking)

I missed Premier Grade, but I heard Taniela played well. Brothers managed two penalty tries due to push over scrums and the Uni loose head received a YC due to repeat infringements at scrum time.

A good day for Brothers, but it is a trial, and University will be their usual strong selves this year.

Brothers forwards pack is looking enormous at the moment.

It will still be a very competitive year, University definitely didn't have on their strongest side.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I was at the game. Uni was a little under strength but Brothers were still very good.

Thor scrummaged well and his carries were effective despite being heavily marked. We had one glimpse of his power when he rag dolled his opposite number.

His brother was mighty impressive too. Good skills and ran from the scrum base to good effect all day. I suspect he'll feature at NRC this year

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sunnybank seem to be struggling for numbers this year which is odd. They only had 16 players available for a 2nds/3rds squad trial yesterday.
Sunnybank probably will not run a 3rd grade this year.
Extra $100 in fees due to QRU levy hits hard in an area where youth unemployment is the highest in Australia.
Also the club has 12 players on stand down to support QRU 7s program.

T

Tigers Tale

Easts 33 def Souths 28 in an interesting trial where both sides had periods of ascendancy. Easts back row, #10(not Brandon who will start in round 1 v Nths) & Eliott Hagan(??) @ #15 looked good.

Should be an interesting encounter at Norths this Saturday.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Increase in the fees has also had a negative impact on playing numbers at Norths.
Unfortunately its just too expensive to play rugby nowadays... and that is a massive shame.
Imagine all the talent amongst the poorer socio-economic communities that are missing out because of this.
Insurance levies are a joke. ARU fees are pathetic. AND we wont see the full impact of this move by the ARU for another 5+ years when its "where's all the raw talent nowadays?" because the game can only be played by those who can AFFORD to play as opposed to those who CAN play.

QRU needs to run its own format. Take the bill from the ARU and put it in File 13.

ANYWAY - Wests played really well. Tim Smith looks like he will have another fine season. Byron obviously wasn't playing, but will end up on the back of a very solid backline. Tyron at centre was strong and carried the ball forward well. They may lack a little depth around the #10 jersey, but as its only trials... who knows!! A few players were missing from both sides.

Forwards were ok. Good athletic lineout with good calling at the right place on the field.

Looking like a good season ahead for the Bulldogs with good playing numbers right through to 2nd grade.

#QPR2015 starts this weekend!! WAHOO!!!! :D

T

Tigers Tale

Easts side will be something like:

1. Paraka
2. Ready
3. Sanday
4. Moore
5. ???
6. Barker
7. Gunn (if released by QRU U20)
8. Fox
9. Mullins
10. Brandon
11. Wilder
12. ??
13. White
15. Elliot Hagan

That's not a bad side - it will win more than it loses.

TGB what will the Norths side look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.