• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Are there any implications as far as the QFs go for Aus? Top 4 from each pool go through. How are they matched?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Are there any implications as far as the QFs go for Aus? Top 4 from each pool go through. How are they matched?
Looks as though NZ will qualify 1st in the group so the big implication is that if Australia finish third and both make it through to play each other from home quarters, the semi will be in NZ.

If oz finish 2nd or 4th then its home games all of the way through.

The big game now is Sri Lanka to avoid NZ in the semi or India/SA in the quarter

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Boult gets MOTM & not knocking the guy, he bowled fucking awesome but I'll take a lot of convincing that Vettori's spell wasn't the more important: when he came on we were getting smashed all over the shop, IMO he tied up an end & allowed Boult to do his stuff, which he obviously did & did very well, but would he have been able to do it with Southee or say Anderson leaking runs at the other end? I think not.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Boult gets MOTM & not knocking the guy, he bowled fucking awesome but I'll take a lot of convincing that Vettori's spell wasn't the more important: when he came on we were getting smashed all over the shop, IMO he tied up an end & allowed Boult to do his stuff, which he obviously did & did very well, but would he have been able to do it with Southee or say Anderson leaking runs at the other end? I think not.
Pretty strong argument that Stark bowled better than both of them, but got to give it to the winner I guess

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
McCullum's captaincy and batting was far more influential in the opinion of both Chappelli and Pfitzy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looks as though NZ will qualify 1st in the group so the big implication is that if Australia finish third and both make it through to play each other from home quarters, the semi will be in NZ.

If oz finish 2nd or 4th then its home games all of the way through.

The big game now is Sri Lanka to avoid NZ in the semi or India/SA in the quarter
Isn't the biggest implication that we are now a strong chance of finishing 3rd in the pool and could face South Africa who will probably finish 2nd.

It's certainly not likely to be an easy run to the final.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Isn't the biggest implication that we are now a strong chance of finishing 3rd in the pool and could face South Africa who will probably finish 2nd.

It's certainly not likely to be an easy run to the final.
Still in their own hands though (I think!) Beat Sri Lanka, and they should finish second and avoid all of the difficulties mentioned.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^ didn't wanna deprive you of the opportunity to say it outright :)

Poms going along nicely, should get 280 - 300 & set up either a really, really good run-chase or a batting implosion of West Indies proportion...............

Jaysus, some of the England supporters look like they just finished a shift at a Vivian St "Gentleman's Club"

Wicket! Poms 161/4 but if Root stays there for another 5 - 10 overs the 300 is still on.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Malinga rattles Butler's cage, welcome to Wellywood, old son. Actually missed the helmet altogether, hit his ear. That's gonna hurt. Root still there, 300 is on. Butler takes some time to regather his thoughts but looks OK.

Pulls the next ball for 4 he's defo OK.

Looking at the Table I think Aus probably want Eng to win this, would leave SL & Eng with 2 losses, Aus just the 1 plus a No Result. Can't see you losing to Sco or Afg so beat SL next week & you should finish 2nd in your Pool.

Hearth looks to have Root lbw. Poms review it but looks pretty out yo me. Serves him right for changing to a left-hander's stance mid-delivery. One of my pet hates, that, bowler can't change hand or side of wicket without notifying the batsman, I see no reason why the batsman should be able to "switch hit". At the very least, if he does then the pitching outside leg & struck outside the line of off-stump lbw defences should no longer apply.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SL will have to chase 310.

I can vaguely remember Aus getting the first-ever 300+ score at the MCG & thinking how impossible it was gonna be to chase down (& it was, Lance Cairns' 6 x 6's notwithstanding), these days anything under 300 seems like a minor win to the bowling side........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yesterday's game was a massive statement of intent from both teams for mine. The batting was at times brilliant and diabolical but the bowling was the big story. Both teams effectively said that if we get any kind of defendable score, look out. That was supremely high quality fast bowling at crucial stages yesterday, with fielding to match it. All the other teams in the comp should be very worried.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting Stat just flashed up that reinforces how cunning the Kiwis have been in the buildup to this CWC.

ODI played Since Jan 2014
Australia P25 W18 L6 T0 NR1 %won 75
New Zealand P29 W19 L 7 T1 NR2 %won 70.4
South Africa P27 W18 L8 T0 NR1 %win 69.2
India P31 W 12 L11 T1 NR 2 %win 58.6
Sri Lanka P42 W 24 L17 T0 NR1 %win 58.5
West Indes P22 W10 L12 T0 NR0 %win45.5
Afghanistan P21 W9 L12 T0 NR0 %win 42.9
England P33 W12 L21 T0 NR0 %win 36.4
Bangladesh P20 W6 L13 T0 NR1 %win 31.6
Pakistan P20 W6 L14 T0 NR0 %win 30
Zimbabwe P19 W4 L15 T0 NR0 %win 21.1

Ireland and Scotland have not played >10 ODI,

Compared to ICC ODI Rankings as at today (Changes since 12 Feb in brackets):
1 Australia
2 India
3 South Africa
4 Sri Lanka
5 New Zealand (up 1 since 12 Feb)
6 England (down 1)
7 Pakistan
8 West Indies
9 Bangladesh
10 Zimbabwe
11 Ireland (Up 1)
12 Afghanistan (down 1)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wellywood has one of the biggest expat Sri Lankan communities on the planet, looks like 98% of them are at Westpac Stadium & most brought the family over from the Old Country for it......

Sangakkara completes his ton just as Foxtel crashes.

Not that it matters much but winless Pakistan are now 58/3 v 1-win Zimbabwe in today's other game. Well I'll be forked, Umar Akmal is only 24, seems like he's been around a lot longer than any other 24yo in the history of the game.

England look to have given this up as a lost cause & with good reason.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sri Lanka 288 - 1 with centuries to both Sangakkara and Thirimane. Cruise Control activated. 22 from 31 balls with 9 wickets in hand. Go the Tonk.

Soap Dodgers couldn't bowl even if they were captained by a bloke called Drake and he was in Plymouth waiting for a couple of Spanish ships to arrive.

Can't catch a cold either.

Now 300-1 needing 10 of 24 ballls. 200 run partnership (163 balls) for 2nd wicket.

Status
Not open for further replies.