• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Brumbies Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Carter just has to be effective at doing his job.

I like him as he gets in and just does his work for long minutes, and his work is the unfashionable rock lifting and pushing.

I tend to think that's not good enough though. It seems to me like Simmons will have that role (assuming he doesn't struggle all year with injury) and we can't have both our locks just being relied on to do that. One of them needs to be more physically dominant like Dan Vickerman etc.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Rebels will get the wooden spoon agian if they keep making unforced errors and poor decisions . Scott Sio has a great future i reckon looked very strong . Did no one else see the swingin right arm from the Brumbies number 8 which smashed Luke Jones nose when he was going for a try ?
To his credit Luke came back on with the " Hannibal Lector " look as the commentators called it ,, entertained us all .
Also entertaining ( for once ) was half time when the wind nearly blew the 3 in the middle into Richmond , big cheer when they abandoned the unbrella and just got wet ,, first class entertainment !!

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Involvements and effectiveness.

He's made plenty of tackles but also missed more than he should. He's dropped the ball far too many times for my liking.

He's not making nearly enough run metres. If he can't make run metres at Super Rugby level he's going to make even less at test level.

As I said, I'm judging him fairly harshly because he's one of our two incumbent starting locks. It's a little worrying that Carter is not really standing out so far this season in my opinion and Simmons hasn't played a game yet.

Don't get me wrong, Carter is still one of the better performing Aussie locks, but he needs to be a real standout. He was doing that far more last year than he has in the three games so far this year. Obviously it's early days but this is the weakest part of the Wallabies and we need these guys to improve.

Richie McCaw looks shit at this stage too.

It's all about when he hits his straps.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Did no one else see the swingin right arm from the Brumbies number 8 which smashed Luke Jones nose when he was going for a try?

Everyone in the stadium except Steve Walsh who was about a metre away. Walsh was letting high shots go all game though so I wasn't too surprised he ignored it.

Reactions: daz

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did no one else see the swingin right arm from the Brumbies number 8 which smashed Luke Jones nose when he was going for a try ?

Looking at the replay and Vaea's arm doesn't make contact with Jones' face............

Vaea's arm goes for the ball around Jones' chest, and I think Jones hits his face on one of the other Brumbies' players in front of him...............

* It's likely that Jones smashes his nose on White's arm who comes in underneath to hold him up.

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
Wasn't it Vaea who knocked Digby out a few years back with an unintentional swinging arm? He isn't dirty but he has some history there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Skelton seems to be improving on the areas he is weak at (scrummaging and fitness) but in his two games has also been less impactful running the ball and hasn't had the offloads we became accustomed to last year (which is perhaps due to poorer support play as much as anything).

May be that opposition defenses are now learning how to tackle him. In any case, I am much happier that he is now scrummaging properly and he will be seriously in contention come test time.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Did no one else see the swingin right arm from the Brumbies number 8 which smashed Luke Jones nose when he was going for a try ?

If you watch a replay IMHO it looks like it was more just bad timing and circumstance. Vaea does go high, but it was chest high (I think legal but close to borderline) as you would in that situation to try dislodge the ball and try keep the player upright. Just as the arm come across to wrap around at chest hight, it looks like Jones, to power towards the line leans forward and puts his head down lowering his head position just as the arm was coming in. Half a second later from Jones and it would have missed his face. Clumsy and unfortunate I think.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's really a whole lot of nothing, because Vaea didn't make contact with Jones' face............

As mentioned above, his arm caught him around the chest.

Jones' nose got busted in contact with one of the other Brumbies players............

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
After Jones bust threw the initial couple of tacklers I feel like he would have scored if he'd tried to get low and dive towards the line (he may have also got smashed).

He instead stayed upright and tried to keep powering through and ultimately got held up.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I was watching Sio, Alexander, Weeks and PAE closely to see how they went in the scrums, but really couldn't work out what was going on. Not sure Walsh could work it out either.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It seemed to be battle of the strong looseheads, which led to the see-saw dominance.........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The scrums were very willing affairs. A few times it looked like the Rebels were moving forward but the Brumbies countered with a second shove, mstly causing the Rebels' scrum to back pedal or collapse. Haven't seen the Brumbies' tight five bested yet this season, but the Rebels and the Chiefs were close. Carter/Arnold in the second row is looking very solid.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's really a whole lot of nothing, because Vaea didn't make contact with Jones' face....

As mentioned above, his arm caught him around the chest.

Jones' nose got busted in contact with one of the other Brumbies players....

He did. Watch it again. He swings his arm down and across, clocks Jones' face on the way through. Again, I'm not saying it was dirty but it was a bit reckless. A swinging arm to the face, whether it's deliberate or not, should be looked at by the refs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've watched it again at work, frame by frame at 25fps............

It shows quite clearly that Vaea doesn't make contact with his face and gets him around the shoulder/chest where he's holding the ball...........

It appears that Jones likely busted his nose going to ground on White's arm.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I was watching Sio, Alexander, Weeks and PAE closely to see how they went in the scrums, but really couldn't work out what was going on. Not sure Walsh could work it out either.

They all had their moments really, which I guess is encouraging on one level.

I think we can safely say Weeks is better than Ryan at this point though. Putting himself in the conversation for the third TH spot.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I've watched it again at work, frame by frame at 25fps....

At first, from the camera slightly above on Jones' left side it looks like he's connected with him, but the last replay angle (from the side Vaea came in on) shows quite clearly that Vaea doesn't make contact with his face and gets him around the chest where he's holding the ball.....

It appears that Jones likely busted his nose going to ground on White's arm.

uDZeLSd.png

Forearm straight across the face. Anyway, it's probably one of those ones where we're both seeing what we want to see.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think from that angle it doesn't look good. The other side shows his hand getting him high on the chest, maybe neck, but it doesn't impact the nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.