• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Well Jets what will the UQ side look like then?

Will Randell be in the #2 jersey for Uni?

I think you will find that Sam Fatal & Sam Cox will be in the Bond side.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TT I have little to no rugby involvement so far this year. This weekend will be my first chance to get out and watch.

I'm keen to see how Hedger has Bond going. I rate him highly as a coach and from all reports he is enjoying his time on the GC.

T

Tigers Tale

From what and who ran out against Easts in a trial the other week - anyone who underestimates Bond will do so at their peril.

Pity they aren't playing at home in round 1 because they may well have ambushed Uni at home, but playing at St Lucia against the Premiers - Uni would have to start favourites.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I was at the game but decided to watch a video replay of the Souths v Easts trial from Saturday. The score was 5 tries each and I think that one conversion was the final difference. Once again I couldn't see where Tigers Tale gives the big wraps to the Easts front row and tight five. Three second half tries to Souths were as a result of the disintegration of the Tigers tight five in five metre scrums. I think three of the put ins when the scrum was demolished were Easts put ins. The Tigers were very lucky not to have a penalty try awarded against them for repeated scrum collapses, but Souths scored anyway.
This is a very telling sign because Souths didn't use possibly their strongest scrummager in Davey Feao. There were a number of other players not available; NRC player James Turner the 2014 captain and also ITM Cup player Andy Muirhead. It's not looking too bad for the Magpies but still a lot of work to do before the opening fixture against traditional rivals, Sunnybank.

T

Tigers Tale

Warhorse apparently the score was 33-29 which is probably what you were saying - I don't think I begrudged Souths for their effort in the trial!!

My actual words were:

Easts 33 def Souths 28 in an interesting trial where both sides had periods of ascendancy. Easts back row, #10(not Brandon who will start in round 1 v Nths) & Elliott Hagan(??) @ #15 looked good.

Despite what happened with the scrums I think you will find that Paraka, Ready nor Sanday were on the pitch when Souths exhibited their scrum ascendancy - in any event it was a trial match in which both sides showed some good and some bad. Both clubs will be better for the run!!

I agree put Feao, Muirhead & Turner in any QPR side and they will be a better outfit.

The Souths v Sunnybank game is always a difficult one for me - I hope it is a nil all draw!!

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Numbers are down on previous years but there are sufficient for two teams. As most clubs experience from time to time the number of teams can be cyclical. Souths have fielded three Colts teams for the last four seasons so hopefully next season will see them back to three.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Warhorse apparently the score was 33-29 which is probably what you were saying - I don't think I begrudged Souths for their effort in the trial!!

My actual words were:

Easts 33 def Souths 28 in an interesting trial where both sides had periods of ascendancy. Easts back row, #10(not Brandon who will start in round 1 v Nths) & Elliott Hagan(??) @ #15 looked good.

Despite what happened with the scrums I think you will find that Paraka, Ready nor Sanday were on the pitch when Souths exhibited their scrum ascendancy - in any event it was a trial match in which both sides showed some good and some bad. Both clubs will be better for the run!!

I agree put Feao, Muirhead & Turner in any QPR side and they will be a better outfit.

The Souths v Sunnybank game is always a difficult one for me - I hope it is a nil all draw!!

While I am not totally familiar with every member of the Tiger's front row and their reserves but when I was watching the game live and in the video, the Easts front row that I saw in lots of trouble, bore a strong resemblance to Paraka and Sanday.

T

Tigers Tale

With respect Warhorse if you want to throw stones - get you facts right.

Maybe you need a trip to OPSM/Specsavers before the season starts because:-

Paraka didn't play on Saturday;

Sanday on the park??
Whilst I didn't see the whole game - I left early into the 3rd quarter - not long after Sanday left the field at which point the Easts scrum started to look a little fragile in his absence;

Ready??
I doubt Ready would have still been on the pitch later in the game because the QRU would have restricted his game time.

Proof will be in the pudding in 2015 but better judges of a scrum than you or I rate these guys very highly:

Paraka - started NRC final for Brisbane (scored two tries) - Feao was on the bench I think - and Paraka also sat on the bench in 4/5 Reds games last year;

Ready - is the No.3 hooker at the Reds behind two Wallabies;

Sanday - if he stays fit may well play for Fiji at the RWC15.

They are all QPR Premiership winners something which your blokes don't have at this stage of their careers - so a bit of respect please.

And again Warhorse - it was a trial match so neither side had their full compliment out there.

I don't think the second rowers who will start in round 1 for the Tigers ran out there against the Magpies on Saturday either.

But if you want me to concede that South won the scrum on Saturday I am happy to do so!!!

All I will say is that the Tigers look in better shape than I thought they would for 2015 but they will just fly under the radar thanks.

They will look to emulate the 1999 Tigers who took out a premiership two years after the tigers first in 1997 - ironically with a new coach in Adrian Thompson ('99) after Grant Batty left for the Breakers at the end of the 1998 season.

Lets hope for the Easts fans that Tim Sampson can do the same in his first year in charge of the Tigers.

Richard Graham (Captain & #15) and Tony McGahan (Rebels coach - played @ #12) were both members of that 1999 Tigers side.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With respect Warhorse if you want to throw stones - get you facts right.

Maybe you need a trip to OPSM/Specsavers before the season starts because:-

Paraka didn't play on Saturday;

Sanday on the park??
Whilst I didn't see the whole game - I left early into the 3rd quarter - not long after Sanday left the field at which point the Easts scrum started to look a little fragile in his absence;

Ready??
I doubt Ready would have still been on the pitch later in the game because the QRU would have restricted his game time.

Proof will be in the pudding in 2015 but better judges of a scrum than you or I rate these guys very highly:

Paraka - started NRC final for Brisbane (scored two tries) - Feao was on the bench I think - and Paraka also sat on the bench in 4/5 Reds games last year;

Ready - is the No.3 hooker at the Reds behind two Wallabies;

Sanday - if he stays fit may well play for Fiji at the RWC15.

They are all QPR Premiership winners something which your blokes don't have at this stage of their careers - so a bit of respect please.

And again Warhorse - it was a trial match so neither side had their full compliment out there.

I don't think the second rowers who will start in round 1 for the Tigers ran out there against the Magpies on Saturday either.

But if you want me to concede that South won the scrum on Saturday I am happy to do so!!!

All I will say is that the Tigers look in better shape than I thought they would for 2015 but they will just fly under the radar thanks.

They will look to emulate the 1999 Tigers who took out a premiership two years after the tigers first in 1997 - ironically with a new coach in Adrian Thompson ('99) after Grant Batty left for the Breakers at the end of the 1998 season.

Lets hope for the Easts fans that Tim Sampson can do the same in his first year in charge of the Tigers.

Richard Graham (Captain & #15) and Tony McGahan (Rebels coach - played @ #12) were both members of that 1999 Tigers side.

My goodness TT, very touchy this early in the year. Good luck to all teams for 2015.

T

Tigers Tale

And to your Magpies as well Warhorse.

Injuries and depth will play a big part as it does every year.

Prediction - watch for Ed Quirke to spend plenty of time in a Tigers jersey this year, despite the fact he'd rather be in a Red jersey I think you will find him spending plenty in the blue & gold.

It would be great to see Quirkie & Gunn v Beau Robinson when Easts play Souths at Bottomley.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
And to your Magpies as well Warhorse.

Injuries and depth will play a big part as it does every year.

Prediction - watch for Ed Quirke to spend plenty of time in a Tigers jersey this year, despite the fact he'd rather be in a Red jersey I think you will find him spending plenty in the blue & gold.

It would be great to see Quirkie & Gunn v Beau Robinson when Easts play Souths at Bottomley.

I admire your passion TT.

I hope that years from now when the Tigers are sniffing out the wooden spoon that you're just as passionate as you are today.

T

Tigers Tale

As you know SX - loyalty is not negotiable and when you support clubs like ours you fully appreciate that success is indeed cyclical.

That's why we love one point GF victories over Brothers like 2006 & 2008, and why you have to take your opportunity when they present - 17 years is a long time between Grand Finals.

One of the interesting things for me in 2015 will be to see if the GPS premiership window has closed given that a hell of a lot of their 2012-13 squads have moved on (e.g. the Smiths, the Thoulis Bros, Kite) and a large contingent of their 2015 squad will play more S15 than QPR this year.

And can Souths - 2 GFs & one premiership in 15 years - open a premiership window or will we just see continued mediocrity from the Magpies?

Will Norths and Wests have the same tenacity as they had in 2013-14?

My projections for end of H&A 2015:
1. Uni
2. Bros
3. Bond
4. GPS
5. Easts
6. Sunnybank
7. Norths
8. Wests
9. Souths

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - too early for that but what is the point of Brothers making the finals? - it's been a while since they won a finals game!

Was it the 2009 GF win over Souths?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
My projections for end of H&A 2015:
1. Uni
2. Bros
3. Bond
4. GPS
5. Easts
6. Sunnybank
7. Norths
8. Wests
9. Souths

Geez thats some big calls there TT. I'm unable to really comment as I haven't seen Bond or Souths play in 2015 but those are some pretty major rises/falls if your prediction comes to fruition!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Last final's win would be against University in 2011. (Semi Final)

I dare say that if Brothers played the same University and Sunnybank teams who featured in the regular season matches of 2012/13/14 - you would see different results. However, that's rugby and I'm not taking anything away from those clubs.

I hope 2015 is a better year for the Brethren. They are starting to get a lot of good cattle in the forwards, which I think will make a big difference.

T

Tigers Tale

Sorry Filth - I remember now - did you beat Uni in the Major Semi that year?

Big Dog - I might be guessing irt Bond and Souths for the wooden spoon might be a dig at Warhorse?

We'll all be better placed for making predictions after this weekend.

Sunnybank with McIntyre at the helm for most of the season will surely feature in the finals, so that makes the top 4 a pretty crowded space.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think McIntyre has done his knee. Has Mitch third left for the gc or is he back with the bankers?

Status
Not open for further replies.