• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
About time a Tahs supporter saw the truth of the matter. Get on the Gill bandwagon BH, you just know Poey will be injured again soon.

But then if Poey is injured you've got Hooper.........

And if Hooper's injured there's Hodgson.......

And if Hodgson's injured you've got Butler, or Sean McMahon...............

And there's always the obligatory SOS to George Smith..............

;)

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Slim, as a personal favour can you please stop filling every post with ellipses? I am worried I'm going to have an aneurysm if I keep seeing it. I'm also worried about the time cost of each additional period you have to type.

But back to the rugby. Liam Gill has been playing extremely well and always seems to be one of the most influential forwards on the park. That hasn't been seen at test level yet in my opinion though, whereas Hooper and Pocock have both had incredible impact there. I think Liam will make the most of his next chance but it's up to fate to give it to him. I think it is fair to consider him above Fainga'a, Butler and McMahon (for 7) at this stage, but they're no slouches either. We're pretty well stocked for openside talent.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Slim, as a personal favour can you please stop filling every post with ellipses? I am worried I'm going to have an aneurysm if I keep seeing it. I'm also worried about the time cost of each additional period you have to type.

But back to the rugby. Liam Gill has been playing extremely well and always seems to be one of the most influential forwards on the park. That hasn't been seen at test level yet in my opinion though, whereas Hooper and Pocock have both had incredible impact there. I think Liam will make the most of his next chance but it's up to fate to give it to him. I think it is fair to consider him above Fainga'a, Butler and McMahon (for 7) at this stage, but they're no slouches either. We're pretty well stocked for openside talent.
Good luck with that. It's an affectation that is here to stay, I think.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interestingly, or actually not interestingly, some of my first few posts from years ago were directed at the same thing. Some also mentioned rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is.......... This.......... Thread......... About......... Openside.......... Flankers......... Or......... Ellipses..........?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pushing the laws of the game or pushing the rules of punctuation. Both are artforms I suppose, but happy to go with rugby.

I have to say that even as an ardent believer in Pocock as the potential world's best and a huge Gill fan there is something undeniable about Hooper. How do you drop him? I couldn't go without both him and Pocock in the squad if available, regardless of the bench split.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I have always wondered if the bulk muscle Poey has puts excessive load on tendons and cartilage. Any gurus here comment?

On Hoops vs Pocock, clearly Hoops is the incumbent, but injuries aside I see Poey eclipsing (not ellipsing...8D) Hoops, particularly for RWC.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
No. We won't do a physiology lesson, but bear in mind there are plenty of people his height who are much heavier who play just fine.

There are also large numbers of athletes in the world who are larger and more powerful and operate at higher outputs (read NFL).

And don't forget that he has the advantage of well qualified S&C coaches whose knowledge is greater than ours in these matters.

What would they let that happen if it is something lay people could figure out?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Probably saving his first full game for the Tahs game. Looking forward to that one.
I thought he'd actually trimmed down a bit. Didn't look as big at the meet the players day.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well he's skipping the Force who he did his knee against and he also did it against the Tahs too..

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone know if Pocock is expected to play this week or is he still out?

Last week during the Brumbies/Rebels game the commentary team were talking about Pocock returning in 3 or 4 weeks. I reckon he'd be targeting the Tahs game. Poey will have one eye on the RWC. He knows what he has to do to reclaim the no.7 jersey and he know who he has to impress.

Personally I'm skeptical whether he'll make it back until after the bye in round 7. I don't profess to know what I'm talking about, but I understand those ankle injuries are a bit like a hamstring injury in that you can't rush them and often take longer than you would think to heal. Isn't it the same injury that kept Sio out of the wallabies last year? I remember him getting the injury in the first week of training, and he just never returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.