• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, round 4, Saturday 7 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Think the only changes to your team will be Pickle to 10, JOC (James O'Connor) to 15 and Turner to wing,

I was disappiointed with our whole reserve front row last week. Daley and Sef will get smashed again. Sef will get better as he is just a kid in the toughest position on the field. Daley has been around forever and has never shown a bit of scrummaging ability in the several years at the Reds.

Glad to see Taps back.

Hopeful that Horwill comes back with a vengence and brings real controlled agression to the pack. The battle up front will be huge.

According to Wayne Smith in The Australian yesterday, JOC (James O'Connor) is to maintain the No 10 spot. This from RG.

Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Daley is a mystery to me. He's supposedly a gym junkie and works hard, but he's just never progressed in his scrummaging ability. I don't know if it's just some technique problem that he can't overcome or some other reason, but he's just not up to this level with his scrummaging ability.

Which is a shame, as he has a great built for a prop, he is busy around the park and he is a good ball carrier.

He is also being coached by arguably the best scrum coach in the country.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Which is a shame, as he has a great built for a prop, he is busy around the park and he is a good ball carrier.

That's odd, I think that's the reason he's poor, he doesn't look like a prop at all, needs to get fatter/bigger.

T

TOCC

Paddy Ryan vs Ben Daley, the scrummaging battle of the black sheep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

a lot of people, myself include think JOC (James O'Connor) should remain at 10, he isn't the best but at least he has experience in controlling the game from 10 something which Frisby doesn't have. Reds need some stability and direction int he backline given the shuffling of players which has occurred since trial matches.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With a game under his bely, I think JOC (James O'Connor) will run the ball even better this week, but he still doesn't look like he can control a game and manage his outside backs the way a No 10 should. Will give Foley a few headaches though I suspect.

B

Bobby Sands

Daley is a mystery to me. He's supposedly a gym junkie and works hard, but he's just never progressed in his scrummaging ability. I don't know if it's just some technique problem that he can't overcome or some other reason, but he's just not up to this level with his scrummaging ability.

Mates of mine played junior rugby with him in rep sides and said he just didn't understand rugby that well. Would just pick and go regardless of what was going on outside of him. I know this is a small sample, but I don't think he focused on scrummaging at all as a youngster, and it just means that it is probably too much for him to correct as a senior player. Has really plateaued, and I don't think it will be long before Paraka owns that jersey.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
On paper the Tahs should win this convincingly, however you can never say that in a NSW/Qld confrontation, and a controversial win by a point will do me just fine (in fact, a controversial win is always a bit of fun afterwards, with all the ref bagging, what-ifs and 'you didn't deserve it!).

One thing interesting about this clash is the number of players opposing some-one of a totally different style, eg Gill v Hooper, Palu v Schatz, Potgeiter v Thompson, Foley v O'Conner and Faainga v Beale. Should be fun to watch, I can't wait!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

By the time he gets on he will be scrummaging against the second worst reserve front row in the comp. This week he should not have to worry too much even though he is part of the worst reserve front row in Super Rugby.

T

TOCC

By the time he gets on he will be scrummaging against the second worst reserve front row in the comp. This week he should not have to worry too much even though he is part of the worst reserve front row in Super Rugby.

So you're claiming the Reds have the worst reserve front row in super rugby and the Tahs have the second worst?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So you're claiming the Reds have the worst reserve front row in super rugby and the Tahs have the second worst?

Currently at least. Reds will clearly improve when Holmes returns.

I don't know if I definitely agree with Hawko but that's what he's saying.

The Force's reserve front row is currently a basket case and the Smith twins at the Brumbies not very good at scrum time.

I'd have to think a bit about the reserve front rows from NZ and South Africa before deciding on their various merits.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Unless the Reds forwards get the team on the front foot with strong carries and quick ruck ball and the backs provide some options with their running and support lines, whoever is at 10 is going to struggle. If those things happened JOC (James O'Connor) would be best placed at 15 or wing. Frisby can distribute and kick as well as JOC (James O'Connor) right now I'd reckon. 10 is not the real problem that the Reds have, and the debate is masking the real issues.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I sense an ambush. Reds by 10-15. And no, I'm not claiming any underdog bullshit status or trolling. I think the Reds will go up a gear, and the Tahs don't look like they're gelling too much yet.
But my tipping is so shit, I haven't even joined a comp this year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
With the players we have we are simply a game plan away from winning a heap of games. At any moment, we could devise a game plan, any plan, and our various oppositions will simply become insignificant specs that can only hope to slow down our relentless but inevitable surge onward to championship glory.

We just need a plan. Anyone got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.