• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, round 4, Saturday 7 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Provincial caps yes, but going by Super Rugby Caps I think he's still got a few more to go.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
With the players we have we are simply a game plan away from winning a heap of games. At any moment, we could devise a game plan, any plan, and our various oppositions will simply become insignificant specs that can only hope to slow down our relentless but inevitable surge onward to championship glory.

We just need a plan. Anyone got any ideas?

I know you are tongue in cheek but more than a plan I recon we need a forward pack that kicks serious arse. Against the Ponies we didn't show up and against the Clan we were beaten to the breakdown time and again and we got sloppy ball.

We belted the Force and looked the goods. Any backline look like stars when the pack is carrying them forward. We need that Force brutality every week and when we play the Kiwi sides we need speed to the breakdown and to counter ruck like we did under Link.

Once the forwards perform each week maybe what ever gameplay Woody is trying to get us playing will become apparent.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think we have the forwards to do the job, we just need to get them all on the paddock at once.
Slipper, Fainga'a, Talakai, Horwill, Simmons, Thomson, Gill & Browning will do the job. Don't know much about him but I'll be keen to see what Tui might add at 8 also once he arrives.

EDIT: sorry for going slightly OT. Thought I was in the Reds thread.

Reds by 12 :)

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Daley is a mystery to me. He's supposedly a gym junkie and works hard, but he's just never progressed in his scrummaging ability. I don't know if it's just some technique problem that he can't overcome or some other reason, but he's just not up to this level with his scrummaging ability.

Which is a shame, as he has a great built for a prop, he is busy around the park and he is a good ball carrier.

He gets help from the rugby version of Victoria's Secret, aka shoulder pads. He looks bulkier than what he actually is and I think he's a small prop by Super Rugby standards. I'm sure he can move some heavy iron, but doesn't mean sh*t if his scrum technique is not up to scratch.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The battle up front needs to be won by the Reds - from the getgo.

We can then win the game.

If the Tahs win the upfront battle their backs will cut us to pieces.

Think it will be a great contest with match ups right across the park.

Queenslanders love playing those southerners so expect the unexpected

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He gets help from the rugby version of Victoria's Secret, aka shoulder pads. He looks bulkier than what he actually is and I think he's a small prop by Super Rugby standards. I'm sure he can move some heavy iron, but doesn't mean sh*t if his scrum technique is not up to scratch.
That's a bit rough mate. In terms of dimensions he is comparable to most of the other props getting around. 1.84m and 112kg according to Google. Which makes him the same as Benn Robinson and plenty of other decent Super Rugby props regardless of whether he wears shoulder pads.
Your criticism of his scrummaging technique is fair but it has been well discussed. The rest of your post is a bit wide of the mark I reckon.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Both Benn and Ben have similarities. Both have 2 arms and legs are about the same size and wear headgear.

The major difference is scrummaging ability.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Both Benn and Ben have similarities. Both have 2 arms and legs are about the same size and wear headgear.

The major difference is scrummaging ability.

and workrate, one does a good load of work around the field, the other can scrummage

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Your not doing that thing where you claim underdog status to not hex yoir team?

In any number of clashes over the years, in nearly all sporting codes, the NSW team has been red hot favourite but yet they have constantly failed to bring the bacon home from an expedition to Brisbane. This is to such an extent that anyone thinking that Queensland don't have an equal or better chance of winning on Saturday night has not really studied history, nor do they understand the QUEENSLANDER psyche.

As much as one hopes it will be a cake walk for the Tahs, this is a traditional banana skin game for them, pun intended. Obtaining interstate bragging rights is never an easy task, and the Tahs need to bring their A game which they will need to execute with precision, speed and vigour to have any hope of gaining a victory.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In any number of clashes over the years, in nearly all sporting codes, the NSW team has been red hot favourite but yet they have constantly failed to bring the bacon home from an expedition to Brisbane. This is to such an extent that anyone thinking that Queensland don't have an equal or better chance of winning on Saturday night has not really studied history, nor do they understand the QUEENSLANDER psyche.

Says the NSWmen. Regardless of form, team sheets, what the bookies think, history, ground location, the weather forecast or any other arbitrary discriminator you can come up with, you'll struggle to find a QLDer that in the cockles of their hearts (maybe in sub-cockle area.....) don't have QLD as the favourites against NSW. This in particular will be true of the 23 blokes that will be wearing Red on Saturday. They know they can win and to them, they need to win, just because it's NSW. I know that's what you were saying in your first para, but I just wanted to make a slightly finer point of it HJ.

There are greater things at play in a QLD v NSW game. The Reds fans will know what I'm talking about.

Reds by 12.

Reactions: gel

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tahs by 30+

From a Qld badgeholder as well.

What did @Scoey just say about your mob in the post directly above yours?

All sorts of reverse psychology, and anti-jinxing strategies in place here as the supporters desperately seek the underdog title.

It's not going to work.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Anyone aware of any injuries being carried by any of the Tahs main squad from the Rebels game that may impact selections heading north of the border, or is it just expected to be a Palu in, Hoiles to Bench, Cutch out - rest stays the same type scenario?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

All sorts of reverse psychology, and anti-jinxing strategies in place here as the supporters desperately seek the underdog title.

It's not going to work.
No one has written a stirring piece of prose to get me fired up yet. It's the only thing that's getting me going these days (come this Saturday though.........I'll feel very different for sure)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Anyone aware of any injuries being carried by any of the Tahs main squad from the Rebels game that may impact selections heading north of the border, or is it just expected to be a Palu in, Hoiles to Bench, Cutch out - rest stays the same type scenario?

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) sat out some of the training this week so there is apparently some doubt over his participation.

If he doesn't play, Horne will play 13 and Betham on the wing. I tend to think he'll play though.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

It's not going to work.

Tahs by 40+.

Status
Not open for further replies.