• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015S15 Saffer derbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers and Bulls won tough closes weekend. Stormers now two away derbies, Bulls their first win for the season.

Stormers still high running after their 2014 CC trophy and with an excellent Duanne Vermeulen who lead a pack of youngsters by example.

Cheetahs vs Bulls & Stormers vs Sharks coming up.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Matfield's interference with the Sharks huddle was classic. He really got into their heads. The old man seriously shut his critics up this weekend. Even me. I thought he looked like it was a season too far but he was fantastic. Bismarck lost his cool and afterwards Kankowski came to shake Matfield's hand. It was hilarious.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I still think Cat Killer will prove to be your weak link, Paarl. He sits so far back in the pocket, he may as well be on your couch back in Paarl.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Katrikilis is only part of the problem. The Stormers have had enough possession to score three attacking bonus points easily; but they still cannot attack well enough to score tries. They will be found out when they get to tour Australia and NZ. Good defence only takes you so far. If they get a ref who doesn't give away penalties easily they could record the first 0-0 draw in the history of Super Rugby.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Stormers do not have the back line coaches to change the way they attack. Same guys for five years or more and every year they have the same problems. Coetzee and Fleck have been horrible considering the talent they have.

Jobs for mates, just like in Pretoria. As with Ludeke they could blow up the whole stadium and not lose their jobs. In Aus, NZ and Europe for that matter Coetzee and Ludeke would both have been fired back in 2013.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Stormers do not have the back line coaches to change the way they attack. Same guys for five years or more and every year they have the same problems. Coetzee and Fleck have been horrible considering the talent they have.

Jobs for mates, just like in Pretoria. As with Ludeke they could blow up the whole stadium and not lose their jobs. In Aus, NZ and Europe for that matter Coetzee and Ludeke would both have been fired back in 2013.
We got Gert Smal. Coetzee is history, the news probably havent reach Pretoria yet. Oh sorry understand Slaptjips maybe one of the favourates to take over from AC. :confused:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Katrikilis is only part of the problem. The Stormers have had enough possession to score three attacking bonus points easily; but they still cannot attack well enough to score tries. They will be found out when they get to tour Australia and NZ. Good defence only takes you so far. If they get a ref who doesn't give away penalties easily they could record the first 0-0 draw in the history of Super Rugby.
The scoreboard read the Stormers had two away wins. Look at the log positions, if you get away wins, why worry about single bonus points for four tries?

http://www.sport24.co.za/rugby/super15/logs

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gert Smal is a forwards coach. Good luck with that.

You will end up continuing the forwards and defensive based plan under him. He coached like that in Ireland, It is what he knows.

Please take slaptjips. You can have Ludeke as well.
Yeah you won away with no bonus points. Like lasy year. And the year before. And the year before.

Nothing has changed to suggest to me this team can come from behind and win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't believe the Stormers won that game. They were pretty awful and were behind for almost the entire match.

Also surprised the Lions kept going for the win after the siren when the draw was on offer. I guess when you're not going to make the finals you may as well have a crack at the win than play the percentages and take the draw.

I had money on the Stormers so I was pretty happy. Can't believe I got away with it!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
They only won because the Lions imploded. Taking Jantjes off cost them the game.

I can pull my hair out watching the Stormers. It's awful rugby.

They are so easy to defend. They do the same thing over and over. Ruck, first receiver, pass to a forward in the backline, who hits it up. Rinse and repeat. I don't think a first received passed it to another back for about an hour.

This was their undoing in the last few years and it's the same again. The most simple drift defense stops them every time.

They have great outside backs but they never get put in space.

The lack of pace in the inside backs doesn't allow them to play in any other way and a basic requirement of a coach is that he should actually have a brain.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cheetahs v Bulls, Bloemfontein - 17:05
Cheetahs
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Michael van der Spuy, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Joe Pietersen, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Jean Cook, 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Boom Prinsloo, 5 Francois Uys (captain), 4 Carl Wegner, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Torsten van Jaarsveld, 1 Danie Mienie
Substitutes: 16 Stephan Coetzee. 17 BG Uys, 18 Maks van Dyk, 19 Tienie Burger, 20 Steven Sykes, 21 Tian Meyer, 22 Willie du Plessis, 23 Johann Sadie

Bulls

15. Jesse Kriel, 14. Bjorn Basson, 13. JJ Engelbrecht, 12. Jan Serfontein, 11. Francois Hougaard, 10. Handre Pollard, 9. Rudy Paige, 8. Pierre Spies (captain), 7. Lappies Labuschagne, 6. Deon Stegmann, 5. Victor Matfield, 4. Jacques du Plessis, 3. Trevor Nyakane, 2. Adriaan Strauss, 1. Morne Mellett

Substitutes: 16. Callie Visagie, 17. Dean Greyling, 18. Marcel van der Merwe, 19. Grant Hattingh, 20. Hanro Liebenberg, 21 Tian Schoeman, 22. Piet van Zyl, 23. Jurgen Visser
Stormers v Sharks, Cape Town - 19:10

Stormers
15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Johnny Kotze, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Duane Vermeulen (captain), 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Manuel Carizza, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Neil Rautenbach, 17 Alistair Vermaak, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Jean Kleyn, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Louis Schreuder, 22 Kurt Coleman, 23 Huw Jones
Sharks
15. SP Marais, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. JP Pietersen, 12. Frans Steyn, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Patrick Lambie, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Ryan Kankowski, 7. Willem Alberts, 6. Marcell Coetzee, 5. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4. Lubabalo Mtyanda, 3. Matt Stevens, 2. Bismarck du Plessis (captain), 1. Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16. Kyle Cooper, 17. Dale Chadwick, 18. Lourens Adriaanse, 19. Marco Wentzel, 20. Renaldo Bothma, 21. Conrad Hoffmann, 22. Andre Esterhuizen, 23. Jack Wilson

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Special clip for you.

With skills like that he should try out for Barcelona or Real Madrid. But this is rugby, and the primary skill a fly half needs is in his hands. Only in SA would this be seen as a positive for a fly half - where rugby is a ten man game and the other five are just kick-chasers.

Not one SA province (except maybe the Cheetahs) would have Bernard Foley in their Super squads, yet he is the current test fly-half here. That is a direct result of the current SA philosophy. Its sad because the potential for SA to be number 1 in world rugby is huge, but the way the game is played stifles the life out of of that potential. I've watched great players from the JWC have all their skills trained out of them by Super coaches who only know one way. Pollard is just the last in a long line.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
On another note, Matt Stevens must the WORST Super Rugby signing in history.

He makes Roodt at the Tahs look like a world beater.

Frans Steyn is in good shape. Best I have seen him in years. Pity he is still a PRIZE dickhead.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Play Schalk at 10 I reckon.
I love quoting myself. Chalk looked great at 1st receiver when he came on. Suddenly the Stompies had some zip.

Cat Killer is still walking back to Cape Town he was that deep again.

Status
Not open for further replies.