• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
The forward pass was straight in front of me and oztimmy.

I have the match paused on exactly 21 minutes, the ball is half way between Jarrod Butlers hands and Tevita Kuridrani and I am trying to say it a fair flat ball but the lines on the grass tell me its not. Butlers hands don't go backwards and Kuridrani is already on the same line as Butler and the ball is still yet to reach him. I will say it's poor defense from Stirzaker who moves to the blind side that was already covered by Leafa.

Pat Leafa had his worse game ever in Rebels colors, don't think he had a clean bloody catch all night, his line out work is horrible and he seemed just plane lazy.

Worst was the captaincy by Higgenbotham last night, a few bad decisions not to take the points when on offer and did not talk to Walsh enough to sort out the scrum. We where getting penalized when we where going forward and he said nothing.

I really think we need to change one of the halves from the start if we are going to win games, Stirzaker is getting caught with the ball way to much and it seems that he and Jack needs another NRC before they are ready to play together at this level. Would start either Burgo/Jack or Stirzaker/Harris to have an experienced head there to lead the team. At the moment we are relying on Ellison and Harris to organize everything.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Fucking lineout throws. I'm not sure what Pat adds around the park that adds up for all the fucked lineouts he's delivered.

He also fucked up a few plays around the park too. If he is effective at the breakdown I'm not seeing it. I really think we need to throw Tom Sexton into the mix. This way we can sure up the set piece.

Brett McCurdy

Frank Row (1)
Is anyone able to enlighten me as to why Pat was playing in the centers ?
Perhaps he needs to get dropped for a week or two to get some mongrel back in him.

I'm really not trying to be overly one-eyed here, but the refereeing was appalling.
There are 2 other assistants out there on the field, how a forward pass like that escapes the 2 closest astounds me.

The team played really well. Still execution let us down, but I see improvement and I'm confident that if the refereeing was fair and even then we'll win more than we lose this year.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Back to the lineout. That's been one of the most disappointing areas as a fan. I can't count how many times we've had a great attacking position, momentum behind us, crowd going nuts, only to see the lineout fed poorly.

It's surely not that hard? KPI of a hooker should be in the set piece. Pat, for all his hustle around the park and in defence (which isn't actually that remarkable), consistently misses his mark in the lineout.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Back to the lineout. That's been one of the most disappointing areas as a fan. I can't count how many times we've had a great attacking position, momentum behind us, crowd going nuts, only to see the lineout fed poorly.

It's surely not that hard? KPI of a hooker should be in the set piece. Pat, for all his hustle around the park and in defence (which isn't actually that remarkable), consistently misses his mark in the lineout.

It's been happening since the Rebels came into the competition. Ged used to throw poor throws in key situations, the Shota did the same and now Pat is suffering from it.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
What does my head in is when you see them setting up a seven man lineout. You know they're going to try and throw it to the back, the opposition know they're going to try and throw it to the back, Marto probably knows they're going to try and throw it to the back, and then they try and throw it to the back and fail. It's like clockwork. Too high, too low, too short, too long, not straight, too soft... It's almost unbelievable the ways they find to get it wrong.

The Rebels are playing with two short locks, but Jones, Higgers, and McMahon are all explosive, fast-twitch, guys who can get up in the air in a hurry and have good hands. Surely in pressure situations the easy call is just a really quick simple set up, chuck them straight up at the front or middle and back your lifters to get them up faster than the oppositions.

It's the easiest set-piece by a mile and they suck at it.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Oh and another thing. Are there any backline moves other than an inside ball to Inman? It seems to be either that or fairless aimless shuffling the ball down the line while the defence drifts across. They don't run straight and hard enough to fix the defence in the way the Canes and Chiefs do, and then they don't have any second or third lines of attack coming through either.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh and another thing. Are there any backline moves other than an inside ball to Inman? It seems to be either that or fairless aimless shuffling the ball down the line while the defence drifts across. They don't run straight and hard enough to fix the defence in the way the Canes and Chiefs do, and then they don't have any second or third lines of attack coming through either.

There's the one where Harris joins the backline out wide and then throws a forward pass across the sideline.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
We have that move where a seagulling hooker either muffs the pass or throws it out. I thought props were the designated team seagulls?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

While I know you are asking for some variety, I thought it was quite successful against the brumbies.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Rebels lineout is painful to watch. The number of times they stuff up an attacking lineout is staggering for this level. I agree with Dumbledore...why oh why when you have a dodgy thrower do you attempt to go to the back on an attacking lineout? Surely they have done their stats & must realise Pat has a very low percentage in that area, so why keep attempting it when winning your ball 5 metres out from the opposition tryline is sooo important. Set up quick, hit 2 or 4 & get on with it. Short & sharp as my wife always says.

I was at a game last year with a mate who is not afraid to hold back when it comes to player criticism. After Pat had thrown yet another not straight he was giving him a decent spray when the lady sitting about 2 seats down from us mentioned she was his girlfriend. As I squirmed in my seat expecting my mate to apologise, he simply didn't give up. Told her he was a professional footballer & it was his job to get it right. Of course that was a little tough for her to hear but he was 100% correct. It is an absolutely critical part of the game & if he can't get it right, find someone who can.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So I just saw on ABC news an article about the increase in sports analysis and the proliferation of technology. Low and behold, guess who pops on the TV. you guessed it, the one and only Rebels.

Fast forward to 25min:

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/abc-news-vic/NC1520V054S00#playing

you wouldn't believe the first thing they are analyzing - The lineout throw. Oh fucking hell the irony of it all!

Still, more publicity for the Rebels is always a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.