• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
and also odd that they would bother

a) to worry about the 3rd VIII

- no disrespect from me but it's widely known that Shore holds this category so contemptible that it doesn't award medals to winners in this division at its own regatta

and

b) do so when they still would not emerge the winners?

what was the point?

and how was there no equivalent backlash for the 2nd VIII race? Riverview could have been declared winners!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Their Year 10s are pretty good. I'd also point out that in pure terms Riverview won the 2nd eight race and Joeys improved which points to a potentially very thrilling contest next week with Scots back and a full authentic lineup of crews. The Joeys crew looked different? not familiar with their names so I'd have to go back over results lists but some lighter bodies there?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
What of the goss I just heard at SIRC that Shore entered a protest in 3rd eight race regarding Kinross and Scots not being authentic 3rd eight crews? If Shore pulled the same strategy in the 2nd eight race then it seems a bit absurd and disingenuous!

And unless there was a masterful foxing performance by Shore in the 1sts - in other words, deliberately coming 2nd - I think that 4 second margin says it all for next week.
Pretty sure there wasn't a protest about the 3rd VIII. What I did hear was the GPS sports masters conferred to judge the race between the three legit 3rd VIIIs from Kings, Shore & Joeys. Looks like Joeys walked away with the beer tankards.

I've banged on about this last year with Kinross entering this event. They've even got the race callers convinced with platitudes sounding off about how great it is to see them rowing etc. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone, that they're not some hokey poke yokels from the sticks with teeth missing and wearing overalls. They're a pretty slick rowing machine albeit don't have quite the depth as GPS. They've pretty much got a top class 1st IV and their VIII would fit more to 2nd VIII standard if not 1st VIII standard if they focussed on it..

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Regardless, their Yr10 VIII is a very good crew. Rowers to watch over the next 2 years.

Joeys unbackable favourites. 4 seconds too bigger margin and Shore wouldnt be foxing.

MR
Much tighter at the 1000m this week between Joeys and Shore with the dominating final 750m from Joeys that seems to chew up crews. All things considered I think if they are more revved up next week in the first 1000m then only a breakage will stop them - their finish is too strong.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Hear Scots was training on the Nepean doing some last minute secret River training.... DJ was NOT happy about yesterday's result. Seems their race today maybe a moot point if they claim NSW Schoolboy 8 title. Probably a good colour piece for the Shore newsletter.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Their Year 10s are pretty good. I'd also point out that in pure terms Riverview won the 2nd eight race and Joeys improved which points to a potentially very thrilling contest next week with Scots back and a full authentic lineup of crews. The Joeys crew looked different? not familiar with their names so I'd have to go back over results lists but some lighter bodies there?
Don't think the crew changed. More often than not rowing convenors just block book entries with names. There's always going to be a boat entered in whatever GPS event (unless they run out of rowers!) Doesn't make any difference as to grade scores like it does at club level.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Shore in yesterday's first eight race had a pretty convincing lead from the get go, they only fell behind at around the 1500 mark due to what i can only describe as the three seat falling off his seat or something similar, possibly a broken wheel, I think they'll take it out next week
Geez..... If you call a little over a second at the 500m and 1000m (a third of a length) a convincing lead that's a big call! Sure you were watching the same race or did the timers get it completely wrong??

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
I think Sat race was a repeat of every race this year. Joeys held until the 1500m and then take over. Be surprised if changes this Saturday though hopefully they get a scare and are made to earn it. Shore, Riverview and Scots need to pull something out of the bag. DJ indeed not happy abt Saturday and wants more from Shore this Saturday.

L

LBA

Please sir can I have some more ?

You cannot get blood from a stone. I truly believe that each young man would be giving of their very best. David Jennings or David Jones or Mickey Mouse cannot extract more out of anybody unless torture is involved. Don't think GPS condones that ?

After a weekend at SIRC - it would not be the rowers not trying their very best that would worry me. It would be the venue - was I the only person watching the Umpire boats constantly removing weed from the props ?? A sculler went swimming and I heard - that it was because he caught a significant clump of weed and it unbalanced him.

If a rudder caught weed or any blade - precious time could be lost. If memory serves me correctly last year at Nationals Lane 1 was closed due to weed. I think the venue has a never ending battle to control it. There is one water mower I think? The grounds people do an amazing job trying their best but they are up against it. If I had a water mower I would be hiring it out at a handsome rate to mow mow the course so the rowers and row row the boats.

Edgar Ijmuiden

Stan Wickham (3)
Pretty sure there wasn't a protest about the 3rd VIII. What I did hear was the GPS sports masters conferred to judge the race between the three legit 3rd VIIIs from Kings, Shore & Joeys. Looks like Joeys walked away with the beer tankards.

I've banged on about this last year with Kinross entering this event. They've even got the race callers convinced with platitudes sounding off about how great it is to see them rowing etc. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone, that they're not some hokey poke yokels from the sticks with teeth missing and wearing overalls. They're a pretty slick rowing machine albeit don't have quite the depth as GPS. They've pretty much got a top class 1st IV and their VIII would fit more to 2nd VIII standard if not 1st VIII standard if they focussed on it..

Kinross' "3rd VIII" is made up of rowers from the 1st Yr 9 quad and their 2nd Yr 10 quad. They should have entered the Yr 10 eights, where with 6:33 they are in the ball park, particular with four Yr9 rowers

Edgar Ijmuiden

Stan Wickham (3)
Please sir can I have some more ?

You cannot get blood from a stone. I truly believe that each young man would be giving of their very best. David Jennings or David Jones or Mickey Mouse cannot extract more out of anybody unless torture is involved. Don't think GPS condones that ?

After a weekend at SIRC - it would not be the rowers not trying their very best that would worry me. It would be the venue - was I the only person watching the Umpire boats constantly removing weed from the props ?? A sculler went swimming and I heard - that it was because he caught a significant clump of weed and it unbalanced him.

If a rudder caught weed or any blade - precious time could be lost. If memory serves me correctly last year at Nationals Lane 1 was closed due to weed. I think the venue has a never ending battle to control it. There is one water mower I think? The grounds people do an amazing job trying their best but they are up against it. If I had a water mower I would be hiring it out at a handsome rate to mow mow the course so the rowers and row row the boats.[/quote
I think Sat race was a repeat of every race this year. Joeys held until the 1500m and then take over. Be surprised if changes this Saturday though hopefully they get a scare and are made to earn it. Shore, Riverview and Scots need to pull something out of the bag. DJ indeed not happy abt Saturday and wants more from Shore this Saturday.
Riverview did a great job I thought, confidence boost from going yellow in the Sydney Uni Empacher and only 0.5sec behind Shore. I doubt they'll get Joeys though

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
No such thing as punching above your weight in a graded regatta - of course, you can actually punch below your weight as Kinross did. Sorry, there were School eights divisions and they were clearly not competing in the right class.

It's just as bad as the girls' schools which suddenly find an eight boat and eight girls to race it at the pointy end of the season after Normanhurst, Kirribilli and PLC have slogged it out all season. Not in the spirit of the competition.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well said, Bazza. If Kinross can't fit into "Sydney-accepted" classes because of numbers, bugger it, let 'em row. All the more the merrier, I say.

PS. bts, the rowing environment at country schools is considerably different to Sydney schools who can whistle up an eight at short notice with support from a local rowing club. We should cut Kinross, and others from across the GDR, some slack. What country girls schools have pulled this swifty?

Edgar Ijmuiden

Stan Wickham (3)
No, a Yr 9 and a Yr 10 quad crew have been joined in an eight, which has been entered as a SB3rd VIII. They did a 6:33. They also rowed at the State Champs, where the MU17 8+ and SB 3rd eight race have been merged. That's how they know how fast they were going. Travelling from Orange they optimise the number of events they are going in, although it often doesn't fit into the GPS rowing terms from 1892. In regards to the deviation from the GPS in this forum, this thread started because the non-compliance of Kinross and others with the GPS standards. I am also wondering, State Champs and NSW SB HotR are no GPS run events, at least officially.

L

LBA

Long time no hear from Barry !! I hope you are well.

Thank you for those figures Barry - 28 different schools for SB HOR hosted by Rowing NSW and 29 for SG HOR this weekend. That clearly proves that GPS school rowing is a part of a much bigger pond. Which proves that God did the right thing to change the name to 2015 School Rowing.

Edgar if you were to read previous post's you would find that this big race on Saturday that the GPS parents are all excited about - you would know the 1st VIII of my adopted GPS school St Joseph's College will most probably do less then six minutes for the 2km race down the course.

BTS - I think every rower "slogs it out" it out - early morning training both off and on the water through out the season. It would be insulting to say that boys or girls who train in boats other than an VIII are doing it easy.

How do you know Kinross have VIII's to train in - they might only have IV's that can be rigged to a quad. They have might have to borrow VIII's when they travel down.

I am sure if you spent the money on holiday you would want to pack in as much as possible - visiting all the tourist places, personal points of interest. Kinross packing up and travelling to Penrith like Edar said want to enter as many races as possible. Punching up or down - who cares these young adults can row and have big hearts - they did not say OMG I cannot row in 3rd VIII race because I am in Yr 9 or whatever - they got in and did their very best.

If you can row - get in and have a go I say!

What I will say is I think the coaches need to be careful that the young adults they select for crews are not really out classed. Please do not attack me for being a hippocratic - you need to know if the crews you are entering a going to be competitive.

If they are going to enter and actually race - not paddle down and hold up racing because the time difference between the first crew crossing the line and the last crew is significant. Coaches need to do their job - study the results - time their crews and then make the decision - yes I will enter them and they will be competitive.

My last comment would be if Kinross and Queenwood are winning - perhaps Lorretto should follow their recipe. Winners are always grinners and if it is not broken do not fix it !!

AAGPS HOR is on Saturday for 2hrs - then another Regatta SG HOR on Sunday for the whole day hosted by Rowing NSW. Again proving GPS is part of the rowing world.

I wish everybody racing on the weekend all the very best - it will not be long until the Masters like me - take over SIRC for yet another Regatta. I hope my coach does not out class me for my race entries - I perhaps could out race them with a bottle of red after racing but !!

Oooopppsss am I starting up another rowing thread - old rowers !! Naughty me.

Status
Not open for further replies.