• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National 7s Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You'd think that this the National Rugby7's championships would be at the culmination of a pathway involving local, Regional and State level Rugby 7's tournaments. Variations of this model should also occur at Open Grade, Colts, Open School age (u18), and U17 and U15 off the back of the Junior Gold Cup and that there would be male and female of these competitions, where practicable.

There doesn't seem to be such a logical progression of such in the Rugby 7's world. It all seems to be a little too ad-hoc to me. If it isn't, then the actual Rugby 7's pathway and the tournaments on it could do with a little more publicity.

T

TOCC

7's pathways are a work in progress, you already have successful independent tournaments throughout the country and they all have varying eligibility criteria and no consistency in terms of teams participating. I think in time natural selection will determine those clubs who are willing to back 7's teams.. Like Sunnybank Rugby etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not sure about their current situation, but there used to be a very strong and competitive provincial Sevens competition, across the ditch.

For the first few years of the Hong Kong Sevens, New Zealand was represented by its champion Sevens province.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I guess the National 7s is a start. It would be good to see it get some recognition. Perhaps that will occur over the next week or so. It would be good to know who is playing etc

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure about their current situation, but there used to be a very strong and competitive provincial Sevens competition, across the ditch.

For the first few years of the Hong Kong Sevens, New Zealand was represented by its champion Sevens province.

It's still going.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The junior national 7's is on this weekend at the same ground. There is a girls and a women's event too. I actually think the pathway is looking clearer. I the future I think they will be looking to hold the event towards the end of the year so as not to impact so heavily on the XV's programs.

Steve Stammers

Bob McCowan (2)
You'd think that this the National Rugby7's championships would be at the culmination of a pathway involving local, Regional and State level Rugby 7's tournaments. Variations of this model should also occur at Open Grade, Colts, Open School age (u18), and U17 and U15 off the back of the Junior Gold Cup and that there would be male and female of these competitions, where practicable.

There doesn't seem to be such a logical progression of such in the Rugby 7's world. It all seems to be a little too ad-hoc to me. If it isn't, then the actual Rugby 7's pathway and the tournaments on it could do with a little more publicity.

Hugh: worth checking out these articles if you want to learn a little bit more about the tournament..

http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News...-to-toe-at-National-Sevens-Championships.aspx

http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News...lenge-at-Youth-Boys-Sevens-Championships.aspx

http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News...ick-off-with-Boys-and-Girls-Youth-Events.aspx

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Steve S, This thread is being used to discuss the National 7's championships. There is already a thread up to cover the National Age Group 7's championahips. Here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/aru-7s-age-championships.14870/page-4

In the anarchy that is Gaggerland, the Queensland Youth 7's squads were posted as below:

Queensland Youth Boys Sevens squads selected to contest National Championships

Queensland Rugby Union today announced the two teams that will travel to the Australian Youth Boys Sevens National Championships at Narrabeen, running from Friday 27 to Sunday 1 March.

The two teams, Queensland Red and Queensland White, were selected following a number of training sessions held at Ballymore since December 2014.

2014 Queensland Schoolboy representative Reece Hewat will line up for Queensland Red.

Red Squad
1. Reece Hewat
2. Martin Koortz
3. Sam Wallis
4. Liam McNamara
5. Jayden Ngamanu
6. Clifton Setu (c)
7. Sam Edwards
8. Geoff Roberston
9. Dylan Riley
10. Tiaotin Raoren
11. Kris Verevis
12. Liam Moseley

White
1. Jamison Quirk
2. Rodney Pita
3. Marcel Yonker
4. Reuben Wall
5. Eli Pilz
6. Matt Abrahams
7. Andrew Ramsden
8. Kailab Coventry
9. Quillan Pritchard-Malakai
10. Ben Simpson
11. Jordan Lenac
12. Jakeb Roir

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/14564/Queensland-Youth-Boys-Sevens-squads-selected-to-contest-National-Championships.aspx

NSW Boys teams were (No Blue/White breakdown)
NSW players for the coming 7s are

Tim Anstee – Sydney Metro
Dylan Pietch – Sydney Metro
Lach Anderson – Sydney Metro
James Armstrong – Sydney Metro
Tom Wright – Sydney Metro
Will Terry – Sydney Metro
Simon Kennewell – Sydney Metro
Tyrone Taukamo - Sydney Metro
Fraser Toohey - Sydney Metro
Luke Osbourne - Sydney Metro
Nick Brown - Sydney Metro
James Hawkins - Sydney Metro
Bailey Dalton - Sydney Metro
Dimitry Chipizubov - Sydney Metro
Riley Angles Corke - Sydney Metro
Alex Pohla – Sydney Metro
Taulogo Lalaga Country Juniors
Jack Morrison – Sydney Metro
Josh Noonan – Sydney Metro
Eamonn Molenaar – Country Juniors
Sepesa Loga-tarogi – Sydney Metro

I think there are 3 more players to be added

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/374/ArticleID/14648/State-7s-Championships-unleashes-next-generation.aspx

No one has posted teams for the other youth squads or any of the Girls squads.
Some further banter on the National Youth Sevens at this thread:
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/aru-7s-age-championships.14870/page-4

Steve Stammers

Bob McCowan (2)
@Steve S, This thread is being used to discuss the National 7's championships. There is already a thread up to cover the National Age Group 7's championahips. Here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/aru-7s-age-championships.14870/page-4

In the anarchy that is Gaggerland, the Queensland Youth 7's squads were posted as below:

NSW Boys teams were (No Blue/White breakdown)

No one has posted teams for the other youth squads or any of the Girls squads.
Some further banter on the National Youth Sevens at this thread:
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/aru-7s-age-championships.14870/page-4

Nice one.. there'll be two or three stories on rugby.com.au this week too on the Men's and Women's Sevens Championships next weekend...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nice one.. there'll be two or three stories on rugby.com.au this week too on the Men's and Women's Sevens Championships next weekend.

Hi @Steve Stammers, apologies for not welcoming you to Gaggerland earlier. It is good to have you aboard especially if you are Steve Stammers the ARU Communications Advisor as your avatar indicates you may be (thanks google. I thought I recognised the name).

It is good to have a link with the Ivory Tower. Much of what is said on here (once you sift through the interstate sniping, agendas and bias)
is constructive and worthy of consideration in the War Room in the St Leonards Bunker before being dismissed as outright lunacy or adopted for further consideration, even if it is in a modified form. We Gaggerlanders do not always have access to all the facts and figures before we unleash our keyboard missiles but they are generally well intentioned.

Before you get too comfortable with Gaggerland, you need to be made aware that a number of fellow Gaggerlanders are keen students of grammar with an eye for detail and a keenness to promote and maintain the highest standards of such from professional wordsmiths.

A thick skin is needed at times, and I'd encourage you to use the report button at the bottom of any post that you find objectionable, so it can be dealt with by the moderators before it becomes an issue that may jeopardise the relationship between G&GR and the ARU.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, great to have you here Steve. Keen to see your passion on the board and hopefully you can continue to provide some insight into shortened variety of the game.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Hi @Steve Stammers, apologies for not welcoming you to Gaggerland earlier.....

Before you get too comfortable with Gaggerland, you need to be made aware that a number of fellow Gaggerlanders are keen students of grammar with an eye for detail and a keenness to promote and maintain the highest standards of such from professional wordsmiths.

HEY! I haven't unleashed for MONTHS!

;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
More info about this event here:
http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/Arti...pionships-all-set-for-lift-off-in-Sydney.aspx

3 days to go, or until liftoff as they say in the trade.

QLD Red back to defend their 2014 crown in the Women's division and this is the inaugural National Mens Championship.

ARU web site news item has a few teasers of the final team lists with seven of the contracted Rugby 7's players released from National Duties for the tournament:
Mens NSW Blue
Michael Wells, Alex Gibbon and Paul Asquith

Mens NSW White
Peter Schuster

Mens QLD Red
Brad Wilkin and Tom Lucas

Mens National Indigenous
Shannon Walker

The National Women's programme has released Mollie Gray for the Australian Services team, and Nikki Etheridge and Dom Du Toit will be turning out for Qld Red.

Pools are:
Men
Pool A: Queensland Red, National Indigenous, New South Wales White, Tasmania
Pool B: New South Wales Blue, Western Australia, Queensland White, Northern Territory
Pool C: ACT, Victoria, South Australia, Australian University

Women
Pool A: Queensland Red, South Australia, New South Wales White, Australian University
Pool B: New South Wales Blue, National Indigenous, Queensland White, Northern Territory
Pool C: ACT, Western Australia, Australian Services, Victoria

Steve Stammers

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi @Steve Stammers, apologies for not welcoming you to Gaggerland earlier. It is good to have you aboard especially if you are Steve Stammers the ARU Communications Advisor as your avatar indicates you may be (thanks google. I thought I recognised the name).

It is good to have a link with the Ivory Tower. Much of what is said on here (once you sift through the interstate sniping, agendas and bias)
is constructive and worthy of consideration in the War Room in the St Leonards Bunker before being dismissed as outright lunacy or adopted for further consideration, even if it is in a modified form. We Gaggerlanders do not always have access to all the facts and figures before we unleash our keyboard missiles but they are generally well intentioned.

A thick skin is needed at times, and I'd encourage you to use the report button at the bottom of any post that you find objectionable, so it can be dealt with by the moderators before it becomes an issue that may jeopardise the relationship between G&GR and the ARU.

Wasn't expecting that grandiose intro @hugh. Haha. Personally I work more across the Sevens program (since Jan 2014) but I'm not arrogant enough to ignore any thoughts/suggestions from any readers from the G&G community. What can we do better, what's good or what's bad etc..After all, we all want the same result don't we.. For Australian Rugby to succeed and prosper..

Status
Not open for further replies.