• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby News - New Zealand Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
WOB, I know you were not giving the Chiefs much credit preseason, but I think they looking pretty good, got a decent amount of depth in forwards as well as backs. I actually think the Blues haven't been all that bad, although 3 losses not getting thrashed, though not sure they will recover to be far from bottom, which I believe is a sign of how good this comp is.
And too top it off, the Mighty Canes have bye, so after 3 wins we get at least one more week of having our hopes up, before it all goes off the rail!!o_O

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@Dan, to be fair I did say that the NZ Conf would be a Chiefs/ Crusaders shootout but that I doubted the Chiefs had the tight 5 strength-in-depth to take them all the way. Let's see how they go without Brodie for 6-8'weeks & see what happens (must say Symons has impressed me far more than last year, tho).

The NZ I gave absolutely no show is currently & inexplicably on top but as you allude to, it can't possibly last :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If Surgeon Kirwin is only contracted until the end of this year, I would expect that a Board, acting responsibly, has already initiated a search for someone to coach the team in 2016. It is too late to start this process in September 2015, as anyone of quality that would have been remotely available will have been locked in by then, including the incumbent.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ elsewhere Keane is quoted as saying he's committed to this year's Makos ITM campaign which kinda suggests JK getting the chop mid-season (in the minds of those fuelling the rumours, anyway). Also the tenor of the Board's comments are that they have full confidence etc for this season & aren't contemplating a mid-season change........

Most likely there's nothing in it but this is the strongest suggestion of an NZ Super Rugby coach getting the mid-season arse that I can recall.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure an evil dictator could pull the Blues into line. So much talent but why can't they pull it together? Serious question because many have tried and not pulled it off.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Blues deserved to lose that. Played like a bunch of dickheads. Taking those quick taps showed a lack of respect to the Lions.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Blues v Hurricanes:

Blues: lolagi Visinia, Frank Halai, Charles Piutau, Francis Saili, Melani Nanai, Ihaia West, Jimmy Cowan/Jamison Gibson-Park, Steven Luatua, Luke Braid (c), Brendon O'Connor, Patrick Tuipulotu, Josh Bekhuis, Charlie Faumuina, James Parsons, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Angus Ta'avao/Sam Prattley, Hayden Triggs, Akira Ioane, Jamison Gibson-Park/Bryn Hall, Simon Hickey, George Moala

No Kaino, failed a concussion test.

Hurricanes - Nehe Milner-Skudder, Matt Proctor, Conrad Smith (c), Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Victor Vito, Ardie Savea, Brad Shields, James Broadhurst, Mark Abbott, Ben Franks, Dane Coles, Reggie Goodes. Reserves: Motu Matu'u, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Chris Eves, Jeremy Thrush, Blade Thomson, Chris Smylie, Rey Lee-Lo, James Marshall.

No Cory Jane, sitting this one out as part of NZRU's post-EOYT/ pre-RWC player resting programme.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Apart from maybe their front row reserves, that is a seriously fucking good lineup the Hurricanes can put out. The Canes' chances rose with Kaino's ommission, but Eden Park is an unforgiving place for travelling teams.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Canes sneak home by 7 points -> 30 - 23.

Crowd about 10400 at the Palmerston North Speedway track.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez that was a bit entertaining to watch, I thought a few of the boys thought they still playing ITM cup!!
Was a bit impressed with how busy Savea the younger is, and by gee Conrad does so many smart little things in a game, the lines he runs in defence at times just cuts down so many options thye other team has.

Still WOB, that's another week the Canes have kept my hopes up!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ I may have mentioned this before but I've been following the Warriors for roughly as long as you've been following the 'canes so believe me, I know exactly how you feel right now. Enjoy it while it lasts, mate.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez Osborne is a great one to hold for the Clan, I wouldn't be too upset at him being looked at for ABs, seems to have a good all round game, and is prepared to go and find a bit of work. There certainly appears to be a few good wingers wandering around in NZ at moment.
Also think Wheeler is another good hold, he really seems to suit the Clan culture/style.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ if something were to happen to Savea I'd be more than happy for Osbourne to come in as the power winger (& was brought into AB camps last year in similar circumstances). Wheeler for mine is one've those hard grafters who're probably never gonna crack the AB but provide a benchmark for players coming up through the ranks. Lengthy Super Rugby career then off to NH as a "journeyman".

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ yeah, some seriously good wingers are gonna miss out on RWC squad, esp if they take SBW as a midfield/ wing (which I suspect they will in order to accommodate Conrad, Ma'a & Fekitoa) and Beaugan or Slade as a 10/ 15 (& in Slade's case wing as well) in order to accommodate Carter (which provided he's got 2 arms & 2 legs they will 'cos he's Dan Carter).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hurricanes v Highlanders:

Hurricanes: Nehe Milner-Skudder, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith (c), Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Victor Vito, Ardie Savea, Brad Shields, Blade Thomson, Jeremy Thrush, Ben Franks, Dane Coles, Reggie Goodes. Reserves: Motu Matu'u, Ben May, Chris Eves, Mark Abbott, Callum Gibbins, Chris Smylie, Rey Lee-Lo, James Marshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.