• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Well other schools should care about conforming to the GPS system because events such as the Schoolboy 3rd VIII or Schoolboy third or fourth IVs only exist because of the GPS sporting system. It's not a random event generated by a club or the brilliant minds at Rowing NSW. The GPS has a tradition stretching over 100 years and have in parallel developed a graded racing system originally suited to their school's common athletic associations in rowing (and other sports). It may be the minority system in rowing now but it is the most structured. Over the years, It has also ebbed and waned due to popularity of the sport and cohort sizes (introduction of 3rd VIIIs, for example). On this forum people have observed this lack of competitive structure in the girls schools as noted. Simply, if you're racing in 3rd VIIIs it's because you are rated between the 33rd and 40th best rowers in your school. If you're in the top 16 you're in the senior eights. GPS don't stack fours over eights (although it has been alleged) but that's the principle. Indeed it is hard to compare a top IV (from Kinross, for example) with the 1st IV from the GPS who are your 17th to 20th best rowers. This is the bone of contention when non-GPS schools swan into events best suited for a win rather than an evenly graded sporting contest.

L

LBA

Only GPS coaches and some parents would know the GPS structure - I sincerely doubt you are ever going to get other schools to conform to a minority system. They would not care - and if GPS schools attend Non GPS Regatta's - all in together this fine weather !! It would be up to the coaches to nominate the event the rowers would enter.

So it gets back to - two sets of rules and grading structure. GPS and Rowing NSW / Rowing Australia.

I am not going to dismiss over 100 years of AAGPS Tradition and all the sports as well as rowing that come under the GPS umbrella. But everything has to be kept in perspective.

What ever pond you paddle in - I do believe rowing is a wonderful life long sport. If get a medal or a beer tankard or big kiss from your Mum for doing your very best it is all very special.

Wishing every young man on Saturday and every young woman on Sunday great racing. Good held starts if you at the 2km, no weed, coxes who steer straight like an arrow and water like glass.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
You miss the point. We all know which are GPS regattas and which aren't. It's about the events. To enter a SB 3rd grade VIII should imply you have two VIII crews above that level. At a Rowing NSW event whoever can enter whatever crew they like to suit their ambitions and qualify for Juniors etc. BTW where do you get the Nationals draw? Inside knowledge, Barry?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
LBA, interestingly enough you've reached 'Sydney Middleton' status who not only captained the Wallabies on tour in the UK in 1910 but also represented Australia in the 1912 Olympics in rowing. He was also a member of the crew from the AIF that won the 1919 Peace Regatta the trophy of which is now the King's Cup. There's tradition for you!!

Let's look forward to good fast racing...

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I am not going to dismiss over 100 years of AAGPS Tradition and all the sports as well as rowing that come under the GPS umbrella. But everything has to be kept in perspective.
Correct. Everything has to be in perspective including wins in the 3rd VIIIs if not genuine 3rd VIIIs!

Joeys to take out the big one (I hope!)

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
With regards to the 3rd eights, while Kinross has received a lot of ribbing, how did Scots avoid any scolding. They entered not one but four '3rd' eights at the Sydney Rowing Club regatta. Kinross may be able to claim naivety of 'GPS' rules, but Scots would have been well aware of the rules.
Correct. Just as bad. They should've been at H&C. Though as other forums here have gone into great length, for Scots the 'rules' are more like guidelines!

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
If anyone is interested
Newington -
Shore -
Scots -
Would assume kings/grammar will be up tomorrow, not sure if ignatius or high are making one

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
If anyone is interested
Newington -

Not a bad effort by some young filmmakers who not only had to shoot and edit but row and train. With references to Kenneth Brannagh's 'Henry V', this 'cinema verite' film is also in the tradition of Lawrence of Arabia and other great epics of the Golden Age of Hollywood. It has the gravitas and demonstrates the hard yakka and solidarity synonymous with the great school that is Newington. Rousing and inspirational, the filmmakers had their work cut out for them especially when they had to row and hold the camera at the same time.
Shore -
Short, sharp, dark and incredibly creepy. Drawing upon the works of Wes Craven, Gilliam's 12 Monkeys and Dario Argento, I couldn't sleep after seeing this video. The idea of Shore snaking their way upriver in the darkness (Apocalypse Now?) ready to 'terminate' Col. Kurtz (Joeys) sent shivers up my spine. Great use of ultra slow-mo and nicely edited, this film is a powerful portrayal of a crumbling empire desperate to fight it to the very last.
Scots -
In the tradition of James Cameron's 'Titanic' and 'True Lies', this film goes for the big budget effects that only SCBC can afford. Complete with dazzling aerial shots, I understand several helicopter pilots and crew were lost in the making of this film. What they retrieved from their watery graves is nothing short of spectacular and an honour to their great work. It has established new production values to rowing videos that will set the bench mark for years to come. Covered in multi-cam with great use of eight-seven different GoPros, this film was shot in over twenty five locations in over twenty different countries. The camerawork is sharp and well positioned covering all angles of the rowing stroke.

Would assume kings/grammar will be up tomorrow, not sure if ignatius or high are making one
They have their work cut out for them if they do! Great efforts all round, I REALLY like watching rowing videos! Being a bit partial to Joeys, someone else should review that one!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
SBRow I may have misjudged you, they were some pretty amusing comments. Regarding Kinross, Queenwood et al, this is a moral issue unrelated to the GPS. If you have a senior eight, you must enter them fairly. In a club regatta, you may choose your C and D ranked events. If you enter a SB8+ then by definition you have two other eights ranked higher. This is not a contact sport, your rowers will not sustain injuries. They may come last like High and Grammar. Suck it up.
In girls' rowing, Queenwood has a senior 1st eight which as acknowleged on this forum has outclassed all others at Nationals. Yet despite having the boat and having the crew, they do not enter eights races throughout the long season. Great message to send the girls: only enter when you think you can win.
I agree with fpiglet that we should stop thanking Kinross for turning up to Sydney regattas. Third Eight, my arse!

Tomorrow's Joeys/Scots wins will make a change from Shore/Shore anyway.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm curious to know, bts, how many Sydney regattas over the season do Kinross compete in?

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
It would seem that rowing is the new rugby for Joeys. Huge day including a 1.27 third 500 in the big race!

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Congrats to Joeys. Best crew this year and deserved victory. Well done.

Changing of the guard perhaps with Joeys and Scots taking honours ? Hopefully Shore respond. Their Yr10 1st VIII look to be a good crew (size equal to this years 1st VIII) though what is certain is that this race doesn't equate to 1st VIII success anymore with most schools running near professional programmes for the senior crews that largely means they have equal preparation, something that Shore had a lead on the others before.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
From what I saw today, I think we are entering an era where the top places will be more crowded and change more frequently than before. Scots, Joeys, Shore, View - even New - will all be up there next year. The age of blond dominance from North Sydney is over and an exciting phase lies ahead.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
As a country kid who went to Joey's for the last two years of school, I loved the rowing programme (never rowed before I got there and just loved the whole experience). In 1998 I rowed in the 2nd IV and we did our best but got spanked by Newington and Shore. It's great to see that there is a level of interest out there for the GPS (and other) regattas and also to see Joeys get up. Newington and Shore have been dominant for years and a changing of the guard is always good news.

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
What happened to the results in the 2nd VIII?? some funny business going on there... One minute online it shows new clearly ahead of iggies like on the grandstand TV then changes to show equal 3rd and theres no photo online??

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thats good no funny business:) , would be good to see the photo for posterity and if only for the iggies boys who missed out on the podium ceremony when now online it shows them equal third.

Armstrong

Stan Wickham (3)
let's not forget about nationals, i hear shore reselecting?

They aint got long together to train as a different crew 18 days before the heats!! they can't change too much in a boat that is already entered, a Four can change 50% of crew entered, not sure if it is the same for an Eight at Nationals, Draw already up on Regatta Central

Status
Not open for further replies.