• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rugby Heaven said "Hunt paid $1100 for 3.5 grams of cocaine on four separate occasions in September and October last year, the court was told"

I think the dates of the admission may be crucial, he wasn't even an ARU/QRU employee in September and October 2014

He wasn't even a AFL player at that time either, as he was let go in the end of August

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wonder if the ARU will apply the Wendell Precedent. I mean, I know that was in-season, this is out, but some might argue "semantics".
Not that I am wishing that on him by any means, but they would be a tad hypocritical to gloss over 12.5g of the stuff, which I'm pretty sure was a lot more than Wendell did.
But it is the ARU.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Still the man now has a criminal record. That will follow him for the rest of his life. It's unlikely he'd ever be able to work in the UK or Europe again, despite no conviction being recorded. But I presume he's taken al of these matters into account before making this decision.

Isn't the whole point of the no conviction recorded that he doesn't have a criminal record?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More like 4K.

I was going off Sydney standard prices which are the most expensive in the world but like BH81 said given he was buying from high up in the chain it was probably higher purity stuff and costs more.

BDA, I don't think he'll have any Visa issues, the whole point of no conviction is no criminal record. Of course the whole thing is public however.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK for the Lawyers here,

If he stays in rugby, what effect does a guilty plea to possession of a Class A drug mean in terms of international travel and visas for NZ, SAF, ARG and Europe?

none, no conviction was recorded, he can fly to Vegas tomorrow

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
No. I've dealt with a number of clients over the years who have minor drug convictions and have been refused visas in the UK and USA. I've made submissions for people before, on much more minor charges than Hunts (with no convictions being recorded). unless things have changed in the last 5 years, I think its unlikely he'd get a visa in either country for at least the next 5 years (that's probably the length of his career)

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
How do you know it was ludicrous? Have you got a copy of the brief? I would suggest that the CCC would have ticked of the proofs fire primary faci car before laying the charges. The DPP does their usual work avoiding thing and seeks a plea deal, sorry "negotiated facts" as plea bargaining is not allowed as it's unethical and fraught with dangers of its own.

They had phone intercepts, not him hanging out on a street corner with his coke bagged for sale.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wonder if the ARU will apply the Wendell Precedent. I mean, I know that was in-season, this is out, but some might argue "semantics".
Not that I am wishing that on him by any means, but they would be a tad hypocritical to gloss over 12.5g of the stuff, which I'm pretty sure was a lot more than Wendell did.
But it is the ARU.

Wendall was caught for having shit in his system on game day, Hunt has been caught using before he was an employee

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I pleaded guilty and the magistrate said no conviction recorded. I don't have a criminal record, do I?

No (with some exceptions), but you have still been charged with breaking the law and you have still been convicted, because a conviction means that the court has found you guilty or the court has accepted your plea of guilty.
  1. generally, you can say you don't have any convictions
  2. if you're answering questions about whether you have any criminal history/criminal record, make sure you fully understand the question
  3. you could be asked questions about whether you have ever been charged with breaking the law, or whether you have been found guilty, pleaded guilty or been convicted. These questions are different from asking if you have a conviction recorded
  4. for some types of jobs/applications (e.g. Blue Card), even if you don't have a conviction recorded you still have to tell the person asking about being found guilty/pleading guilty in a court
From Legalaid Qld website.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wendall was caught for having shit in his system on game day, Hunt has been caught using before he was an employee
I know. I was just wondering how they approach it. There was an air of righteous affront when Wendell got done. He's bloody lucky to get 12.5g bought over <2 months called "possession" I reckon. Anyway, after the masterful ARU management of last year's dramas, I'm curious to see if they have got any better at public relations!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Assuming this won't effect his ability to travel to play there's every chance he'll cop a token ban from the aru (maybe even time served given the games missed). This having happened before his contract with them they might not be able to punish him in anyway unless he let's them. They may negotiate behind closed doors whatever penalty he won't fight and issue that, so as to be seen to be doing, even though they have no power.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
BH - just as an example, have a look at section 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (USA) which relates to working visas. It provides that anyone convicted of an offence (that's Hunt) in relation to a controlled substance, is inadmissible. Consular officers can actually waive inadmissibility though having regard to the nature, recency and severity of the offences. Trust me when I say, he wouldn't get a Visa in the US this side of 2020. (not that he is planning on working there)

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Oops maybe this won't be the end of it if he had a little op his pep me up left.

Mr McDougall said Hunt had undergone a drug test but the results were not back yet.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Glad this got sorted on the day. Seems like Hunt's going to get off the "easiest" compared to the rest of the cartel. I'm guessing he'll be ready to play the Brumbies next weekend (what the fuck is with that scheduling? We played them 3 rounds previously).

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would rehab serve any purpose for someone who's not a habitual user (based on known facts)?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Isn't the whole point of the no conviction recorded that he doesn't have a criminal record?

My language was a bit loose there. I should have said "criminal history" rather than "criminal record" but the difference is splitting hairs. The fact is if an employer or any government department apply for a copy of Hunt's criminal history it'll show he's been convicted of possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.