• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
ARU shouldn't entertain signing the likes of Inglis if we are losing the likes of Quade, Kepu and Foley.

Get your own house in order first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For every difficult situation, there is a simple, easy, solution which is totally wrong,

The ARU does not operate in a vacuum, it is responsible for the promotion of a minority sport which has had to make the transition from amateurism to professional status, in a very competitive environment. Not only that, but demographic and other changes are working against it.

For every complex situation, it is always easy to promote a simple solution. The "house" that the ARU needs to "get in order" is a small, under-funded place, subject to huge and dangerous challenges.

I personally would not go chasing Inglis, but there is a shed load of free publicity to be gained, whether or not he signs with the ARU.

Free publicity is about all the code can afford. Bums on seats, eyes on the box, that's what it's all about these days. It makes commercial sense to recruit from other sports because there are some very good athletes in those sports, particularly league, players who either came from our sport or who, like Inglis, grew up in an environment where it was not a realistic option for him as a junior. Commercial success means that, in turn, the code has a chance of surviving as a relatively serious sport in Australia, and that the diminishing grassroots supply of young players, or some of them, can be offered the chance of a career in the game.

T

TOCC

For every difficult situation, there is a simple, easy, solution which is totally wrong,

The ARU does not operate in a vacuum, it is responsible for the promotion of a minority support which has had to make the transition from amateurism to professional status, in a very competitive environment. Not only that, but demographic and other changes are working against it.

For every complex situation, it is always easy to promote a simple solution. The "house" that the ARU needs to "get in order" is a small, under-funded place, subject to huge and dangerous challenges.

I personally would not go chasing Inglis, but there is a shed load of free publicity to be gained, whether or not he signs with the ARU.

Free publicity is about all the code can afford. Bums on seats, eyes on the box, that's what it's all about these days. It makes commercial sense to recruit from other sports. Commercial success means that, in turn, the code has a chance of surviving as a relatively serious sport in Australia, and that the diminishing grassroots supply of young players, or some of them, can be offered the chance of a career in the game.

Free publicity? It would cost the ARU $1.5million to secure this 'free publicity', for what exactly?, a 29yr old centre who has never played rugby union. It would take 12 months for him to understand the game properly, he is then 30yrs old and probably looking towards retirement.
Alternatively that money could be used to retain the likes of Quade, Kepu or Kurtley whose on-field efforts and winning performances could contribute to this 'free publicity'.

ARU could sign Inglis, or they could invest that $1.5million into publicising the NRC and in turn generating sponsorship and more revenue for NRC teams... One investment will continue to produce dividends for years to come, the other will deliver a short boost in marketing and publicity. I know which I'd prefer...

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Free publicity? It would cost the ARU $1.5million to secure this 'free publicity', for what exactly?, a 29yr old centre who has never played rugby union. It would take 12 months for him to understand the game properly, he is then 30yrs old and probably looking towards retirement.
Alternatively that money could be used to retain the likes of Quade, Kepu or Kurtley whose on-field efforts and winning performances could contribute to this 'free publicity'.

ARU could sign Inglis, or they could invest that $1.5million into publicising the NRC and in turn generating sponsorship and more revenue for NRC teams. One investment will continue to produce dividends for years to come, the other will deliver a short boost in marketing and publicity. I know which I'd prefer.

Get inglis to play in the NRC and you kill two birds with one stone!

(He would never play a single game would be?)

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I think Inglis played as a schoolboy. Iirc there was an interview where he said he would have proffered to play rugby when he left school but there weren't enough professional opportunities - increased Super Rugby team numbers helps, but it's one of Rugby's biggest challenges, being able to keep players with professional ambitions in the code. Our 150 odd professional contracts compares with 15 Aussie NRL teams, Q Cup, NSW Cup, NRL U20s, numerous district leagues with players paid a reasonable amount. Then throw in AFL and a similar professional development path and it's a wonder we have any players.

T

TOCC

THE National Rugby Championship is set to be played for at least six more years, with the competition’s future all-but secured in the ARU’s new broadcasting deal.
The inaugural season of the NRC yielded mixed results last year, with the third-tier competition producing good rugby and eleven Super Rugby debutants but only modest TV audiences for major financial backer Foxtel and Fox Sports.
Speculation subsequently emerged the pay-TV company would not renew its $2m-a-year funding deal at the end of this year, thus threatening the competition’s existence.
The Daily Telegraph understands, however, that Fox Sports are set to take up the option of a five-year extension as part of the new ARU broadcasting rights deal, meaning the NRC can continue until at least 2020.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...il-at-least-2020/story-fni2fxyf-1227248256811

This is great news for the NRC, if you read further into the article it mentions they might look at changing the draw or altering it in some other ways which i agree needs to happen anyway.. A reduction in teams to 8 is on the cards from 2016 with one of the Sydney teams likely to be cut/merged into another team. T20 BBL is the format that Foxsports will apparently attempt to replicate.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This is great news for the NRC, if you read further into the article it mentions they might look at changing the draw or altering it in some other ways which i agree needs to happen anyway.. A reduction in teams to 8 is on the cards from 2016 with one of the Sydney teams likely to be cut/merged into another team. T20 BBL is the format that Foxsports will apparently attempt to replicate.

Overall it's great news for Australian rugby. The NRC needs to work and needs time to find its feet. It will pay off down the track if supported well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Now we just need to get the media and everyone else referring to the competition as the NATIONAL RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIPS, not the third tier NRC. Don't see the National 7s Championship referred to as the N7sC. Others have posted that the comp shouldn't be referred to a a third tier competition if we want to attract new viewers and followers,and I agree. It should be promoted as our Australian Championships with an emphasis on it being at the top of the domestic rugby tree.

Disappointing then to see the Tele calling it the third tier competition in its article.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Now we just need to get the media and everyone else referring to the competition as the NATIONAL RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIPS, not the third tier NRC. Don't see the National 7s Championship referred to as the N7sC. Others have posted that the comp shouldn't be referred to a a third tier competition if we want to attract new viewers and followers,and I agree. It should be promoted as our Australian Championships with an emphasis on it being at the top of the domestic rugby tree.

Disappointing then to see the Tele calling it the third tier competition in its article.

I've been saying this for ages as well.

Hard to criticise the newspaper when the ARU and rugby people in the media keep calling it the third tier themselves.

T

TOCC

I see where you are coming from, though I'm not sure I see it as a major concern...

There's two ways of looking at it, one is that it devalues the competition as 'third rate', another way is that it's the tier that links with the grassroots, though I don't think that it is marketed effectively if that was their intent.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think it depends on where you're talking about. I thought the Spirit games were pretty well supported, especially the one I went to at McGillivray (great day that was).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

This is probably one of the most important long term wins for aus rugby we have had for ages

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I see where you are coming from, though I'm not sure I see it as a major concern.

There's two ways of looking at it, one is that it devalues the competition as 'third rate', another way is that it's the tier that links with the grassroots, though I don't think that it is marketed effectively if that was their intent.

It could be looked at like that. Or as the top level of domestic rugby.

But what it's consistently referred to as is the 3rd tier. Why would anyone pay to see something promoted as third level? You're not even giving yourself a chance calling it that.

The thing is the same theory is true of the 2nd level. Thankfully the ARU and rugby media don't consistently refer to Super Rugby as 2nd tier.

T

TOCC

I

But what it's consistently referred to as is the 3rd tier. Why would anyone pay to see something promoted as third level? You're not even giving yourself a chance calling it that.

Plenty of people in Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne and Canberra paid to watch the 3rd tier, basically it was fairly well supported everywhere but Sydney and regional areas...

Yes I think there were some massive marketing failures for this comp, do I think the term '3rd tier' was one of them, possibly but it's certainly not a major marketing failure of this comp.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Plenty of people in Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne and Canberra paid to watch the 3rd tier, basically it was fairly well supported everywhere but Sydney and regional areas.

Crowds for Perth, Melbourne, QLD Country and Canberra were pretty comparable with the Sydney teams minus the Stars.