• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Alas no results. I didnt see any senior A and havent talked to anyone about it yet. All I can say is that I felt sorry for some aff teams on that topic as it probably requires a good deal of general knowledge about the current system and the extent to which it is already deregulated to effectively counter the obvious 'oh but HECS' line from Neg. After all HECS is actually quite a good system where its main flaws are in uncapped fees/places. And all the equity points of aff are easily dealt with in SQ with equity scholarships anyway.

What I do have is next weeks matchups:
Round 3
Group A
St Josephs v Grammar
PLC Sydney v MLC
Brigidine v Tangara
Wenona v Trinity

Group B
Pymble v Redlands
Knox v Barker
Kincoppal v Stella Maris
Queenwood v Loreto Kirribilli

Group C
Roseville v Abbotsleigh
Ascham v St Aloysius
St Andrews v Monte
Shore v Kambala

Group D
Kings v Ravenswood
Scots v St Catherine's
St Augustine's v Riverview
Cranbrook v St Luke's

Edit: Topic area is general. Sports is week after. Thinking politics or law and order for Snr (I know we had politics for Int. but that round wasnt exactly themed either).

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
I too agree with A192S Assessment of last weeks topic.:
I felt sorry for some aff teams on that topic as it probably requires a good deal of general knowledge about the current system and the extent to which it is already deregulated to effectively counter the obvious 'oh but HECS' line from Neg. After all HECS is actually quite a good system where its main flaws are in uncapped fees/places. And all the equity points of aff are easily dealt with in SQ with equity scholarships anyway.

Many of the topics leave a lot to be desired in terms of their giving or dealing with only one side of a contentious issue. They seem to be quite hackneyed; regurgitated with minor amendments from season to season. Point in case: the deregulation of university topic rehashed 3 times last year with ease of argument towards one side

I haven't heard any of the results of last Fridays debate but It would be interesting to hear the number of wins by the negative teams in this topic.

Max_Power128

Frank Row (1)
I have to disagree with some of the sentiments towards Friday's topic. It obviously had a neg bias, but there's nothing unreasonable about expecting senior teams to have a good knowledge of HECS-HELP. Surely background on HECS and university fees should be at the top of teams' priorities coming into an education round? If anything, I feel the topics we've had so far this year have been overly simplistic. Why was the debate on free education when deregulation is the current issue?

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sure, most teams would have an understanding of HECS and I would expect that but even where people know the flaws of HECS in its limits at larger numbers, its still easy for a neg to limit those harms and still claim some degree of benefit as well as claim aff benefit in form of equity scholarships, which is a limited form of free education. Id imagine most matter prep would have been HECS vs Dereg. Anyway, I know Shore beat Roseville from Neg and i believe that Trinity lost to Brigidine from aff, though not certain on that.

Though I do agree that topic variety could be better and some like the compulsory voting for 9/10 were surprising for that level

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone have the results from last night? There seems to be a paucity of information flowing through.

Topic for Seniors last night was : That Western liberal democracies should sanction countries that violate free speech.

DRH

Bob McCowan (2)
Can confirm SGS won in 1sts both last week and this week, from aff and neg respectively.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sorry for the quiet on this front for a while.

I have a few results, I'll update if I hear of anymore.

Group A
Grammar beat Joeys.
Trinity beat Wenona.

Group B
Loreto Kirribilli beat Queenwood

Group D
Kings beat Ravenswood
Scots beat St Catherine's
Riverview beat St Augustine's

RE: Topics - I think they've been quite good, no complaints here. Looking forward to what the future brings.

What's happening in FED/Eastside land? Nothing around the net on that front, I'd be interested in hearing more about them.

Also, has Premier's started? If so, who's looking good? Any tips?

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
2 weeks until first round of PDC is supposed to be done. I can't comment on any year 12 groups, though Manly has a solid year 11 side. Though I suspect most selective schools would, esp as most now have some coaching.
No word on FED. Haven't seen anyone from that comp recently.

Edit: Round 4 draw
Group A
Grammar v Wenona
MLC v Brigidine
Tangara v PLC Sydney

Group B
Pymble v Knox
Barker v Redlands
Queenwood v Kincoppal
Stella Maris v Loreto Kirribilli

Group C
Abbotsleigh v Shore
Monte v St Aloysius
Ascham v St Andrews
Kambala v Roseville

Group D
Ravenswood v st Catherine's
Kings v Scots
St Luke's v Riverview
St Augustine's v Cranbrook

Topic area is sports.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Banter on the old forum is peaking thanks to Debating Dashy.

Which teams are currently undefeated?

To my knowledge Grammar, Riverview, Kirribilli, Scots, and Barker are. There are probably more. Let me know, I'd be interested to know.

Wallaby97

Stan Wickham (3)
Congratulations to The Scots College for winning the 2015 GPS Debating Championship in Senior A after defeating Sydney Grammar tonight. This is the first time since 1987 that The College has held the Rutledge Shield.

All involved should be extremely proud of such a fine achievement.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The question on most people's minds is whether they can back it up tomorrow against the Blue and White.

Anyone got the list of the other matchups on tomorrow night?

Spraggon

Frank Row (1)
Is anyone else really annoyed by debates running really late? It seems teams continually turn up to prep late (some of them are visibly out of breath, suggesting they ran some distance to make it on team), debates start late as the juniors run over time, and then to compound matters coaches give feedback at all hours of the night. Really annoying in my opinion.

Wallaby97

Stan Wickham (3)
Is anyone else really annoyed by debates running really late? It seems teams continually turn up to prep late (some of them are visibly out of breath, suggesting they ran some distance to make it on team), debates start late as the juniors run over time, and then to compound matters coaches give feedback at all hours of the night. Really annoying in my opinion.

Yeah I'm with you buddy, it's an absolute joke in my opinion. These speakers and coaches need to wake up and recognise that debating is far bigger than them as individuals. They need to start taking things seriously and stop using debates as some sort of vanity trip, otherwise they just should not be there. It's people like Seb Rees who've treated these debating competitions without any respect and now the younger speakers are following in his footsteps.

This kind of thing never would have happened twenty years ago. It's an absolute disgrace.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah I'm with you buddy, it's an absolute joke in my opinion. These speakers and coaches need to wake up and recognise that debating is far bigger than them as individuals. They need to start taking things seriously and stop using debates as some sort of vanity trip, otherwise they just should not be there. It's people like Seb Rees who've treated these debating competitions without any respect and now the younger speakers are following in his footsteps.

This kind of thing never would have happened twenty years ago. It's an absolute disgrace.

10/10

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ah, sorry everyone. I'll post up lists from last friday's draw and this weeks one tomorrow.

couple tidbits of info. In Group C. Aloys/Monte and Abbotsleigh/Shore went head to head in round 4, the first time any school saw one of the other three and also all Im told were undefeated. Monte def. Aloys. Abbostleigh def. Shore. Both won from aff on that fan behaviour topic. Which should make the Shore/Aloys and Abbotsleigh/Monte matchups ones to watch in that pool, and likely on track to all make octos.

As for the lateness thing. It hasnt been too bad in my experience this season. Most schools Ive been to have also been quite good at pushing teams into prep on time. Far far better than GPS last year. That was a shocker for all those problems. I think though all schools should be told it is an expectation for teams to bring themselves down from prep to the debate room by the required time, and do so themselves. I feel that teams are too ready to rely on someone to come and get them and in the logistical chaos, it doesn't always happen (and they know it). But this other sort of thing like students coming to prep late and such problems are actually unfamiliar to me in ISDA. Maybe its more specific to a certain type of school...

Wallaby97

Stan Wickham (3)
But this other sort of thing like students coming to prep late and such problems are actually unfamiliar to me in ISDA. Maybe its more specific to a certain type of school.

Certainly, schools like Riverview and - in particular - Newington have shown a consistent and flagrant disregard for other speakers and the ethos of competitive debating itself.

Brerma

Frank Row (1)
I'm a long-time follower of this forum, but I heard some news which I thought I'd run by you guys: there's been quite some talk about an upcoming social event in celebration of a Sydney high school debater's 18th birthday. I've noticed that the guest lists of these social gatherings are often based on the debating hierarchy, and have often seen myself left out in the past.

Also, opinions on the NSW squad? As in years previous, some good Year 12s have been unfairly left out to make way for developing younger years. I imagine they won't be too bitter though - most of them have a full schedule already (MUN, School Captaincy, Youth Politics etc.). It's mostly a loss for the NSW team of 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.