• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Manly 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anybody have a update on when the MMM's are playing trails ?? 3 weeks until the comp starts and I'm not hearing to much about the pre season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
MMM vs Gallopers Trial - 14 March

COLTS - LATHAM Upper Field:
• 3rd Colts @ 10.40am - 2 x 35 mins
• 2nd Colts @ 12 noon - 2 x 40 mins
• 1st Colts @ 1.30pm - 2 x 40 mins

GRADE - LATHAM Lower Field:
• 1sts @ 3pm
• 2nds @ 1.25pm
• 3rds @ 12 noon
• 4ths @ 10.45am

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Good performance today from Manly in 1st grade. Won trial by about 8 tries to 4. Forward pack dominated Randwick all over the field. Scrum was very, very good. Liked the look of 9,10 and 12 (Lane I think was 10 and Reece Hodge was 12) for Manly.

From what I heard they won the lower grade games as well. Don't know how Colts went

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Less than a week to go, a couple of coaches making a comeback & pulling on the jersey in round one.
CAGpYVMVIAEPF1p.jpg

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting picture Dave, Is this a possible starting side ? A couple of players not included Sigg / Lewis or are they carry injuries.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interesting picture Dave, Is this a possible starting side ? A couple of players not included Sigg / Lewis or are they carry injuries.
I believe it is, I noticed those to missing as well - i think;
Lewis carrying injury
Sigg on the fence for this year at the moment, hoping gets itchy feet and returns soon

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1610898_956288247715373_1687557570403139822_n.jpg

Rugby, Craft Beer, Meat Pies. The MMM have it all.

Awesome if we could get to see Nomad product on sale at home games.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
This weeks side posted on the MMM's web site, A different looking back line to last year with Vaevae and Treweek in seconds. Also I notice Lewis's name in seconds as well , he must be caring a injury?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agreed - a number of names can be added to those squads. Unfortunate to hear about Greer's injury - hope he returns soon, was expecting him to have a huge year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
How good is it - rugby is back.
7 from 7 round 1.

4's
Long trip out to death valley and missed 4's - guessing at 39 - 5 it was a bonus point win with a good defensive effort.

3's (31 - 7)
I enjoy a dominant forward display, which creates the go forward to enable open attacking rugby. Caught most of the game, 3's included a number of last years colts stepping up to grade - and they stepped up. It was the forwards dominating and then also backing it up with some open attacking rugby.

Best example of that was when Uili opened them up and it was Brand backing up in support with some white line fever. Carolyn had a number of strong carries, and Smart distributed some great ball to a relatively new back line.

2's (13 - 11)
I think 3 changes to the team late in the week, and we had a game that i think was ruined by the ref - hate to think what the whistle & the penalty count was.
We had the team to take the ref out of the game, and instead of that he frustrated us and distracted us from rugby.
Hard to pick players that stood out in a game that was marred by the ref - Daniels, Treweek, Chesters, Attwater.

1's (54 - 20)
First 20 minutes was a tight tussle, opportunities were created and a number of times the passes just weren't sticking. If they stuck it could have been another 20.
Then all of a sudden they started sticking and the 15 minutes before the break we crossed for some great tries, Bergelin had already crossed for his hatrick before oranges.
The try's kept flowing after the break, enjoyable to have good rugby back.
Parra crossed for a few try's late in the game.
First game as captain, Kotoni had a strong game, DA had a huge work rate, and it was great seeing Sam Lane in charge of the back line (and nailing 7 from 8).

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
First big test this weekend for the MMM's . looking forward to see what side is select in 1'st grade.
Does Lucas step straight back in at 9? Is Lewis over his injury and has Sigg done enough to be selected?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Can't wait, and TV game as well.
Lucas got 1/2 a game last week, both halves played well.
Lewis has been playing and is keeping the selectors honest.
Best D in the comp last year - new year and a new bench mark needs to set.
Defensive chatter and structure - my last trip to Woolarah - would like a better result. Full 80.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interesting to read that Manly junior Rory O'Conner has gone to the Rats.

Real shame - he was a gun that came through the junior system - and through colts and pulled on the U20 Wallaby Jersey in doing so.
Right or Wrong - and in the eyes of who - thoughts and no doubt Rory's difficult decision was balanced on a knifes edge and is just as hard for him as sharing thoughts. A young man who has had 2 years in the Aust U20's and wants to take his rugby to another level what would you do?
Well my thoughts –
·I think there was a bee’s dick between our 3 first choice LHP and with either of the starting our 8 would be very strong (I say the same for our THP) unfortunately they all can’t start.
·For me it would come down to opposition and game plan – you see I’d have no problem putting Rory up against a fit 80 minute team like Uni, but may lean a different way against a team like Easts, comes down to the way I’d structure a game against specific opposition.
As you can see my thoughts are club based, but at the same time yeah I’d want to push and assist our Juniors onto higher honours as they are our nursery. So it also comes down to the very very very difficult skill of which I suck at and that is man management – so easy to share my view behind a keyboard – so moving on;
Manly has a wealth of knowledge in the front row department – Tim Fairbrother and Turtle have spent many years in this department, plus training & competition for position no doubt lifts levels.
I think Rory would have benefited under their guidance, worked hard, and would have still reached all his goals, and I still hope he does (plus returns to the Marlins).
Not saying he won’t elsewhere either – great seeing young men with goals that are working hard to achieve them with some very tough decisions being made along the way.

Would I have liked to see a different outcome? – shit yeah – I would have like to see Rory finish the season at Manly owning the LHP because he earned it and his form chose him. My selection would be based on form so he'd have to earn it!

Beginning of 2012 Jordy was a fresh colt playing second grade - year end he had a contract.

H.

Status
Not open for further replies.