• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Bloody hell, games flat out gone soft. Every bloke under the sun woulda been suspended for life if they cared about this stuff in my day! I remember a game against Randwick where it kicked off big time, every name under the sun. All in brawl, then full time blown and both sides went head to head in about 5 boat races. Sticks and stones you bloody gen ys!

Ah the good old days when men were men, women knew their place was in the kitchen, ethnics kept out of the way, and those degenerate queers kept their deviant lifestyle choices to themselves. A better time, a simpler time.

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Ah the good old days when men were men, women knew their place was in the kitchen, ethnics kept out of the way, and those degenerate queers kept their deviant lifestyle choices to themselves. A better time, a simpler time.
Haha something like that. No wonder society is goin down the bloody drain. Ya try to teach kids a bit of resialliance at school then something like this happens... Dont agree that the language is right, but to make a media event out of it is wrong. Shoulda been dealt with privately or the comments just ignored for mine...

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
So we don't deal with matters in a calm dispassionate way according to the evidence, we pick good guys and bad guys and let the media run with it?

?? are you serious?! Pots was being a bigot, and Pocock called him on his bullshit. it's pretty clear cut mate.

Perhaps you can better explain the point your trying to make. To try to compare this to the Hunt scenerio is pretty silly

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Strange. Pocock handled this well I thought. A word to the ref without finger pointing or evocative accusations at the time. ARU also seemed to have handled this well. If they are serious about stamping out homophobia, they will need to make examples of those who breach the standards. Can't see any residual problems here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Strange. Pocock handled this well I thought. A word to the ref without finger pointing or evocative accusations at the time. ARU also seemed to have handled this well. If they are serious about stamping out homophobia, they will need to make examples of those who breach the standards. Can't see any residual problems here.

Yeah, this has actually been dealt with quite well, and in the public eye Australian rugby gets a boost from having high profile players denouncing this kind of behaviour on the field............

The ref cam video of Pocock and Moore complaining about homophobic slurs has had more network coverage than anything else rugby related for a while...........

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I think stamping remarks like this out of the game is a great thing. But is 20K really an appropriate fine when put up against some other offences we've seen lately?

Aside from that, it seems that there is a false dichotomy developing because people are speaking at cross-purposes. Just because you think it could be handled differently, doesn't mean you support the use of the word.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Pocock did make more of it than you say. Pocock's words to Joubert from yesterday's Herald: "You heard that sir ... you can't say that, there could be gay players out there." Pocock continued: "That's fine, but after that their captain said: 'That's rugby'. That's not right."
So he did make some accusations - he told the ref what players can't say on the field: he said that the teams could include gay players and implied the language was against the ARU's code: and he made a value judgement about the Waratah captain's remarks.
All evocative accusations in my mind.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pocock did make more of it than you say. Pocock's words to Joubert from yesterday's Herald: "You heard that sir . you can't say that, there could be gay players out there." Pocock continued: "That's fine, but after that their captain said: 'That's rugby'. That's not right."
So he did make some accusations - he told the ref what players can't say on the field: he said that the teams could include gay players and implied the language was against the ARU's code: and he made a value judgement about the Waratah captain's remarks.
All evocative accusations in my mind.

Clutching at straws here.........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
?? are you serious?! Pots was being a bigot, and Pocock called him on his bullshit. it's pretty clear cut mate.

Perhaps you can better explain the point your trying to make. To try to compare this to the Hunt scenerio is pretty silly

Where on earth did you get the idea that I was even alluding to the Hunt scenario????????:confused:

T

TOCC

I'm not interested in any sportsmen's views about anything other than the sport that they play. Why some people that that because someone is good at throwing a ball around or hitting it long distances they have greater moral authority than anyone else is a mystery. The same goes for celebrities.

You say you're not interested but you have critiqued his comments extensively and have been one of the most vocal in this thread...

Lets just clarify that this incident wasn't Pocock standing in front of the crowd holding a banner supporting gay marriage pushing his agenda, this was a player taking exception to another player who was making derogatory and homophobic remarks and Pocock asked the referee to put an end to this.. If that gives you the impression that Pocock thinks has some form of greater moral authority then that issue lies with you.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You say you're not interested but you have critiqued his comments extensively and have been one of the most vocal in this thread.

Lets just clarify that this incident wasn't Pocock standing in front of the crowd holding a banner supporting gay marriage pushing his agenda, this was a player taking exception to another player who was making derogatory and homophobic remarks and asking the referee to put an end to this.. If that gives you the impression that he thinks has some form of greater moral authority then that issue lies with you.

Now you've lost the plot completely. Time for me to sign off.

T

TOCC

Anyway... the ARU's response to the homophobic remarks have been swift and firm, there is a silver lining to this whole epidsode which is that hopefully other members of Australian rugby now reconsider the content of their own on-field heckling.. The ARU has laid down the law at the highest level that homophobic comments have no place in Australian Rugby...

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Bit of a concern, we now cant say;
man up.
you blouse.
who wears the pants.
have to stick with "harden up", so nobody has hurt feelings, well i hope no tear is shed.

No I don't agree with racism, sexism, etc - what next the TH, will get upset because the hooker is cuddling the LH as well.

Sort it out, deal with it appropriately, move on - it was a great game of rugby.
I really detest this sort of, exaggeration, designed to make the shit thing that was said seem like it was nothing.
Casual homophobia (along with casual racism etc) is almost a bigger problem than direct homophobia.

The fact that Pocock was criticised first by many and in some cases exclusively, highlights beautifully that there are many out there that simply do not get it, which is why, what Pocock did was so important.

People that use these types of words need to be called out. The fact that there may not be malicious intent matters not. Using sexual orientation as an insult is fucked, however it occurs.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You know that do you Scrubber?
Or is it just bound to be the case because he plays for the Tahs!
I guess it wouldn't matter what he said or did, you've made up your mind and that's it.

Mate honestly nothing to do with the Tahs. The issue transcends borders.

Everybody who gets caught is remorseful in public - everybody.

Go to a Magistrates Court for a day and it forms part of the classic Submission made for drug, drink driving, stealing and domestic violence offences.

I'm happy the bloke fessed up, has been dealt with (quite harshly I think), he apologised.

Time to move on

Status
Not open for further replies.