• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
So now we are even firing the marketing team? Get a grip. They aren't promoting the game to 'us', they are aiming the marketing to 'them'. 'Them' being the part time or casual supporters that don't follow the game. They are doing fine.

Where in any place did I say: 'fire the marketing team'?

The core messaging I objected to clearly comes from the top brass of the QRU and the marketing team just abide and implement. As marketing professionals the QRU marketing group do a good job - it's what they're instructed to do, the line they're instructed to take, that I believe is off key and wrong.

Re the 'them out there' your refer to. I think you may find it's 'them' that are increasingly declining to attend Reds matches, as recent crowd numbers would tend to indicate. How you consider recent crowd trends and the broader Reds fan base - based in part on the casual fans you mention - are 'doing fine' is beyond me.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I agree with reds happy, whilst marketing doesn't rely On the product, a good product does help. a PR release that states that they acknowledge what's going on, rather than put the blame on something else, will ALWAYS Bode better with fans.

This is a hard time to reds PR (who, of all of the superxv teams have the best marketing team) because the Broncos are playing exciting football. Armchair fans would prefer to swap to a winning league team than a losing Union team.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
5 Wallabies on the bench! I'm pumped!

If we win, we win. If we lose we get the excitement of an entirely new excuse from HRH RG.

Browning at 7 might be an excuse against some teams, but not against the Lions especially when you have an All Black 7 at your disposal.

The selection of Chris Kurindrani/Nadolo/Nasiganiyavi over several Wallabies also means the BS has to stop now.

B

Bobby Sands

5 Wallabies on the bench! I'm pumped!

If we win, we win. If we lose we get the excitement of an entirely new excuse from HRH RG.

Browning at 7 might be an excuse against some teams, but not against the Lions especially when you have an All Black 7 at your disposal.

The selection of Chris Kurindrani/Nadolo/Nasiganiyavi over several Wallabies also means the BS has to stop now.

I agree with most of this.

However I think the numbers on our backrow will be just that, and not necessarily indicative of the role they will play.

Curtis is probably the least likely bloke to play a ruck-to-ruck seven style of game. He will be used as a battering ram a pass wide I would imagine with Adam and Jake staying closer to the ruck both offensively and defensively.

I really want to see him move some bodies though. It is a part of his game that I think he could become quite elite at, and is something that we are very short of Australian rugby. As that old bloke on here who knows a thing or two says, let's see the man shift some pianos.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree wholeheartedly with you Bobby. With Thomson in the row he has been playing a fairly 7-ish role with Gill up until now and I expect that to continue. On D he's usually in the ruck or one or two bodies next to it, he will be hard on the ball every chance he has a sniff.

The thing with getting Browning to play 7 is that it fits with what RG has been trying to do with Gill; that is use him as a ball runner one pass wide of the ruck and he's not been very effective in that endeavour. Playing this set up, we have two established players that can keep going about their work, and Browning comes in and can play ball runner as Gill has been without needing to also be hard in the rucks on D as Thomson has that covered to a degree.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I can see some logic in it. Something I haven't seen in the Reds for some time now! Thumbs up, team!

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
The thing with getting Browning to play 7 is that it fits with what RG has been trying to do with Gill; that is use him as a ball runner one pass wide of the ruck and he's not been very effective in that endeavour.

That should be Schatz's job. Can't understand how he maintains his spot at the moment, esp when compared with the other Aussie 8's in the comp who are all going well ball in hand. For mine, a 6. Browning 7. Gill 8. Thomson back row is nicely balanced and has a good blend of hard on ball defence and ball running skill.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I agree wholeheartedly with you Bobby. With Thomson in the row he has been playing a fairly 7-ish role with Gill up until now and I expect that to continue. On D he's usually in the ruck or one or two bodies next to it, he will be hard on the ball every chance he has a sniff.

The thing with getting Browning to play 7 is that it fits with what RG has been trying to do with Gill; that is use him as a ball runner one pass wide of the ruck and he's not been very effective in that endeavour. Playing this set up, we have two established players that can keep going about their work, and Browning comes in and can play ball runner as Gill has been without needing to also be hard in the rucks on D as Thomson has that covered to a degree.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I can see some logic in it. Something I haven't seen in the Reds for some time now! Thumbs up, team!

We have a plan now:D

If the plan has not been followed then the changes should have been made prior to Gill being suspended. Nothing wrong with dropping a player who does not do what is required.

For me Gill has been awesome this season.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We have a plan now:D

If the plan has not been followed then the changes should have been made prior to Gill being suspended. Nothing wrong with dropping a player who does not do what is required.

For me Gill has been awesome this season.

Yeah I was hesitant to write that. ;)

Gill has been awesome this season. He has tried very hard but his ball running just hasn't been effective. I'm not saying that's his fault either.

He's taking balls at first receiver and then charging into the defensive line, usually only to be met by two forwards who bash him backwards. I don't know whether that's a 'thing' that RG wants from his 7, or that he thinks Gill is a better ball runner than he is, or more likely still, Gill has identified that if he wants to compete with Hooper, he could do worse than to become a stronger ball running option to add another string to his bow?

Anyway my point is that 'the plan' is being followed; it's just not been working.

Reactions: gel

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The fact is that you must have the players to fit the plan and vice versa.

A simplistic plan is belt 'em up front, demolish their scrum then to the backs to score a try on evry play.
Simple yes, achieveable unlikely

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

I think this is why I get so carried away and frustrated with RG sometimes because he has a penchant for some unusual decisions and tactics that just don't seem to make sense (and often don't end up working). They are often very different to how other coaches do things, and contrary to what most perceive as the player's strengths. Judging by a lot of the older comment threads over at the western force forum when he was coach there, there were a lot of the same sorts of thoughts back when he coached them as well.

It makes me wonder if he is the Arnold Rimmer of the coaching fraternity and ultimately his brain just wont let him succeed. Perhaps the game plans are not working because the players are having trouble interpreting four hundred lines of "I am a fish."

(I am not a coach, and certainly do not proclaim to know all that is right and wrong on the rugby field, but his long term record would suggest that in general he has done a lot of things wrong in the past - it isn't all down to bad luck and injuries).

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Nice reference gel, very apt. Had me going for Google though. I am not a Red Dwarf fan but might Netflix the hell out of it now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.