• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It was a bizarre performance by India and particularly Dhoni, totally agree. I kept wondering when hit was going to hit the jets but he never did. Anyway, fuck 'em.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SF1 was a deadset classic & a hard act to follow but, still, that was a seriously underwhelming effort by India last night: if on Sunday our blokes are chasing ~330 I'd like to think they'll give it a crack rather than seemingly trying to keep the loss to within 100.........

MSD has said he'll announce his ODI plans after the T20WC next year, frankly if I were chairman of selectors I'd be making it known that it's not his call. Great player & all but when it's time to move on, it's time to move on.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Batting tip to Finch from an armchair cricketer. Stop trying to hit the leather off the ball with every stroke and try playing into gaps to keep the strike turning over. One in every 6 or 7 big shots seems to get through the field, the rest go pretty much straight to the fielder. If Smith had been given more of the strike, he could have finished with 150+ the way he is playing.

Must say that I wasn't impressed with a few of Clarke's decisions as captain also, and I am a big fan of his. At the time (and not with hindsight) I thought he brought Faulkner into the attack too soon and should never have kept him on for a second over in his first spell either (despite the showing confidence bullshit argument too). Why Hazelwood wasn't kept on a another over or two during and after the power play escapes me. And I don't think he (Clarke) showed sufficient attacking nous with his field placings for new batsmen as well.

But all in all, a very good game from the Aussies, and looking forward to Sunday.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
MSD has said he'll announce his ODI plans after the T20WC next year, frankly if I were chairman of selectors I'd be making it known that it's not his call. Great player & all but when it's time to move on, it's time to move on.

You seem to be new to Indian cricket. It isn't the chairman's call - they're probably a bigger bunch of fawning bitchez than their commentators.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A Kiwi mate sent me this link to try to "prove" that NZ (represented by the Kiwi) can prevail the Australians (represented by the possum).

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
81 of them sufficient enough?

I knew you would take the bait. I also commented that he was fighting well at the start of his innings, did you ignore that on purpose?

Even the most one-eyed Finch fans would agree that he was under pressure going into last night. I am glad he played well, far more pressure last night than against an english side that was shown to be very poor. Maybe he isn't a flake after all, but more consistency is needed.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I knew you would take the bait. I also commented that he was fighting well at the start of his innings, did you ignore that on purpose?

Even the most one-eyed Finch fans would agree that he was under pressure going into last night. I am glad he played well, far more pressure last night than against an english side that was shown to be very poor. Maybe he isn't a flake after all, but more consistency is needed.

Someone had to, it was a pretty good cast.

To be honest I wasn't following this thread while the game was on so I must have missed it.

His role in the team seems to have changed significantly in the last 6 months. There seems to be a lot more patience and structure to his innings, almost as if he's under instruction to ignore his natural game and bat out as many overs as possible.

Just an observation but whenever he or Warner makes it to the 30th over we tend to score over 300. Warner seems out of touch and I wonder if he's been given the McCullum role of late.

Steve Smith looked to be batting on a completely different pitch yesterday.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
My apologies cricket supporters but in terms of rugby. Assuming that the Wallabies are going to win the WC.

It would be better if the Wallabies are the only Australian world champions this year?

I say this in terms of marketing and the reluctance of the Australian Media about rugby. When the Tahs won the Super Rugby last year, they had not the repercussion that they deserved.

If Australia beats NZ in cricket, I fear it will be the workhorse of the Media throughout the year, and even a Wallaby victory against ABs in Twickenham couldn't compete against it, when it's harder to win NZ in rugby IMHO.

My fear is that the League and AFL media use that to overshadow a Wallaby victory in England this year, rugby needs ALL the help in terms of broadcasting and marketing

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
After watching last nights game at Suncorp I'm not quite sure my liver could handle it if we lost tomorrow.

NZ are worthy winners but there would be no better way to sign off the summer of cricket than to walk away with the World Cup.

By the time RWC rolls around our cricketers will be off in the IPL and there will be no cricket coverage in the press.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Has it been confirmed yet that tomorrow will be Clarke's last ODI match?

After the adversity the team went through early on in his tenure, the unrelenting back injury and the Phil Hughes tragedy this summer, a world cup final at the MCG against the Kiwi's is the best possible stage to finish up.

If we win I'd be surprised if he sticks around for the Ashes next year.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
MHCS, welcome to the 21st century. The media operate in soundbites and headlines and have the attention span of a 3yo. Two days after either Cup victory everyone will stop caring until 3 months before the next one. This is especially true for cricket than rugby as there are several formats and big tours, an Ashes trumps all.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Is this really the best time for the team to be announcing it? The day before the final? Couldn't have waited another day?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My apologies cricket supporters but in terms of rugby. Assuming that the Wallabies are going to win the WC.

It would be better if the Wallabies are the only Australian world champions this year?

I say this in terms of marketing and the reluctance of the Australian Media about rugby. When the Tahs won the Super Rugby last year, they had not the repercussion that they deserved.

If Australia beats NZ in cricket, I fear it will be the workhorse of the Media throughout the year, and even a Wallaby victory against ABs in Twickenham couldn't compete against it, when it's harder to win NZ in rugby IMHO.

My fear is that the League and AFL media use that to overshadow a Wallaby victory in England this year, rugby needs ALL the help in terms of broadcasting and marketing
Can't really agree with this. What we want is a repeat of 1999 where Australia wins everything. CWC, RWC, Davis Cup, Netball - you name it we won it 1999, or it seemed like it anyway.

2015 could start heading in that direction if we get the job done tomorrow after the Socceroos Asian Cup win in Jan. Wallabies might even take a bit of confidence out of watching other Aussie teams win big matches.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Biggest one day game in 4 years and now it is all about Clarke. Definitely not a fan of sportsmen doing this.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah, can't say I'm too happy about that announcement being made now.

IMO there would have been nothing wrong with letting the team know about it in the sheds prior to the game but giving it to the media a day out will really put the spotlight on him tomorrow.

I wonder if he would have been better off announcing it before the tournament, it's not like most people weren't expecting it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.