• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes v Rebels

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
i'd argue he is too slow at time and we lose momentum. Agree he needs to get Jack working to align the backs more quickly and get some front foot ball. This one-up shit will drive me to drin.oh wait.

I don't think he has the decision making yet for ball distributing to the pigs, yet that is his primary role at the Rebels.

Seems the coach is trying to minimise losses not win, you could see the same approach inflicted on the Wobs when he was there - keep it tight and close to the ruck attempts to limit the defensive transition issues the Rebels get.

You would think with a big boot like Jack has, field position and a good chase would be used more.

Stirzaker has the ability to provide quick service on the advantage line, with Harris they have a solid 2nd playmaker, two big whole running centres, with Timani & Jones locking, they have a mobile set of pigs, yet they continue to just truck it up until they lose the ball

Have a go lads

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(Mark Hammett is looking for a job and John Kirwan will be looking for one soon too.
vegascane, Yesterday at 8:53 PM )
Lol vega, you realize that one of reasons got Canes job in first place was to stop him going to Rebels as assistant coach when they started!!
PS gotta cut and paste cos reply doesn't work for me!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway to add it a nice feeling being a Canes man at moment, it may or may not fall apart later in season (we have had lower ranked teams up to now), but bugger it all I going to enjoy the ride while I can!!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Seems the coach is trying to minimise losses not win, you could see the same approach inflicted on the Wobs when he was there - keep it tight and close to the ruck attempts to limit the defensive transition issues the Rebels get.

You would think with a big boot like Jack has, field position and a good chase would be used more.

Stirzaker has the ability to provide quick service on the advantage line, with Harris they have a solid 2nd playmaker, two big whole running centres, with Timani & Jones locking, they have a mobile set of pigs, yet they continue to just truck it up until they lose the ball

this i really don't understand. Last year when we had a 10 with a pop gun kick, the game plan was to kick long and rely on defensive pressure. The Rebels defensive structure was poor, so two out of two elements to the plan were missing. Now we can have Debreczini kick long and have an improved defence, the plan is to run it at the opposition crashing against a wall until they break (not often) or we fuck up (often)

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Hurricanes offside all night. Got away with murder. Inman clearly scored a try that was disallowed while the hurricanes clearly knocked a ball on and got awarded a try. Can't win

Perenara got binned for a "Mabo, the Vibe" "penalty", so the Rebels did get some love from the ref.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Perenara got binned because it was 4th or 5th penalty in a row defending the line by Hurricanes and they were warned after previous penalty. Don't see that as a "Mabo, the Vibe" "penalty ".

In any case Rebels weren't good enough to take advantage of extra man and didn't seem to see ball for next 10 minutes after turnover.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Perenara got binned because it was 4th or 5th penalty in a row defending the line by Hurricanes and they were warned after previous penalty. Don't see that as a "Mabo, the Vibe" "penalty ".

It was a 'vibe' penalty cause it didn't actually break any law, the ref just thought it didn't look right.

TJP was onside, the ball was out, there was no knock on - exactly what was the penalty for?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
TP came through the ruck and swatted the ball out of the halfback's hands. That's been consistently penalised in recent years, and given that it was the umpteenth cynical penalty in those phases and immediately after a final warning, a card was the appropriate option.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
TJP actually came through the ruck legally I thought, and hit ball down , what gets penalisede supposedly is when it hit out of HBs hands before he has cleared it from the ruck/ground. Anyway I think perhaps vibe penalty may sum it up in a way, but not being to critical of ref, there were repeat inrfingments beforehand so was probably a little on edge for another one. I tend to think overall the ref did a pretty good job, as I don't really recall sitting there wincing at any decisions.
And anyway the good guys won so I happy anyway!!

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
TP came through the ruck and swatted the ball out of the halfback's hands. That's been consistently penalised in recent years, and given that it was the umpteenth cynical penalty in those phases and immediately after a final warning, a card was the appropriate option.

Well no, he came through the ruck when the ball had been cleared.

Refs do penalise players who are in the ruck when they do that - as they're effectively profiting from being in an otherwise offside position - but TJP wasn't in the ruck. He waited till the ball had been cleared (note, not just in the halfback's hands, but actually out of the ruck).

It's not that big a deal, but if you analyse it closely it wasn't actually illegal. As Dan said, they were on a warning so the ref isn't gonna have much patience with marginal situations and he just made a mistake IMO.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yeah not illegal, but not in the spirit of the game either and in the context was always going to be penalised and a YC.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
yeah not illegal, but not in the spirit of the game either and in the context was always going to be penalised and a YC.

I've been hugely impressed by Perenara's play this season, he outplayed Smith the other week. He does seem to thrive of that sort of annoying...not niggle, but perhaps...annoying, type of play around the base of the scrum & ruck. Which works for him, but he should know when to reign it in. And when your team is on a warning, that's the time.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It was the kind of thing you look at and can't find a law that says its illegal, but its fairly cynical/kills the play, so you're content to see it penalised against your own team (at least I hope I would).

Perenaras been excellent this season, and looks to be a big part of why you guys are playing so well. Think he should be right up there competing for Black 9 jersey.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Too true Swingpass, there are not too many of them that you wouldn't want to give a clip under the ear. I think that was way back when I played they were considered pretty fair game for all illegalities, tended to think the Refs let us get away with a few shots on them, well I know I did!!

Status
Not open for further replies.