• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Good game of footy" - Some one must have actually made a one on one tackle, or maybe a team passed the ball more than once on the 2nd or 3rd tackle before running straight into the 3 man group cuddle commonly referred to as a tackle.

Rugby League - A simple domestic game with no international relevance that is played by people with extensive tattoo collections in parts of Auckland, Sydney, Brisbane and the North of England. It is fighting for its very survival even in traditional strongholds as evidenced in poor crowd attendance, constant hyperbole from a fanboy media contingent desperate to drum up support to justify the hugely overpriced TV rights deals they have paid, with unprofitable clubs, bathed in constant negative publicity of alcohol abuse, recreational and performance enhancing drug use, inappropriate behaviour and domestic violence issues. The peak body is continually changing the rules, inflating the dwindling participation figures, misrepresenting P/L figures through extremely optimistic rounding up, and has such an opaque internal justice system that the head of their judiciary has recently quit in disgust at the lack of natural justice. The game has a history of being financially propped up by the Tobacco, Alcohol and Gambling industries.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Indeed - this from Monday night's game. I hear it was about 10,000. Must be fucking awful there with only that many.

It's not that long ago that there were Waratahs games with crowds of similar sizes.

The first home game in 2013 against the Rebels was played in front of 11,000 people.

It's quiet enough that you can hear the rugby crowd adjusting their monocles and the networkers swapping business cards.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
It's not that long ago that there were Waratahs games with crowds of similar sizes.

The first home game in 2013 against the Rebels was played in front of 11,000 people.

It's quiet enough that you can hear the rugby crowd adjusting their monocles and the networkers swapping business cards.

Unfortunately I don't think there were too many networkers left at that time :/

A positive thing from a data point of one though, is that I've noticed a lot more of my young professional friends being interested in going to Tahs games this season. Quite a few mid to late 20s women as well, which I think is a good omen, as that young professional crowd is the one that was turning out in abundance during the good old days, circa 2005

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bloody kids these days - just hopping on the bandwagon. ;)

Admittedly, I didn't have much time to go to Tahs games with a younger family before 2014. I decided (after the old man passed away) that it was time to stop farting around and go do stuff I wanted. When the family wasn't enjoying the games like I was, then I decided I'd go by myself!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Bloody kids these days - just hopping on the bandwagon. ;)

Admittedly, I didn't have much time to go to Tahs games with a younger family before 2014. I decided (after the old man passed away) that it was time to stop farting around and go do stuff I wanted. When the family wasn't enjoying the games like I was, then I decided I'd go by myself!

Life isn't a dress rehearsal

Micky D

Frank Row (1)
Just wanted to drop by to note something for all the fucking knuckleheads that bang on about no FTA killing rugby and how fucked the ARU are for signing a Pay TV deal. Even though there was no interest from FTA anyway.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...ock-programming-upheaval-20150318-1m28og.html

Makes 100,000 viewers for Super Rugby on a service that has about 33% market penetration look not too bad in comparison.

The only problem is now 7 and 10 have shown interest in showing the sport instead

Seven..
http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ch...ng-aleague-and-socceroos-20150318-1m21ak.html

And Ten.
http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ne...-aleague-socceroos-games-20150319-1m32pm.html

No one seems to be interested in showing super rugby live.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Further: I realise not many people are going to get to a Monday night game, particularly if its the NRL. Logistically - particularly with kids - its a big ask.

But the age old fight between bums on seats and eyes on screens is one the NRL hasn't addressed yet. Its so busy shitting blood over what its next TV deal will be, and how its salary cap is going to work in a world where a French billionaire could buy a whole club just for a laugh.

I see a future where all NRL games in Sydney will be played at the SFS or ANZ, because suburban grounds just can't be supported any more. The AFL is already moving to this model - some would say they've effectively reached it with Docklands/MCG.

The difference is, the AFL, despite having a large TV deal and a dedicated channel, still get big crowds.

Good on the AFL, perhaps you should starting putting more support into the AFL since you appreciate that game so much.

Rugby League does not have the religious attendance culture of the AFL, it also plays far more games in unfriendly time slots like Monday night which the afl tries to avoid. The AFL play the GF which is sold out well in advance still during the day to appease the hardcore and attending culture instead of chasing the ratings at night.

No doubt the AFL is a better business then rugby league, and a far far better business then the ARU, I mean it even has kids in GPS/CAS schools playing AFL for their school on weekends now. But any notion/innuendo that the strength of AFL is to the detriment of league and not union well is wrong.

The proof is in the pudding. Look at where the AFL has some presence in Sydney, look at where rugby union has some presence in Sydney. The AFL is eating unions market. It wants to eat everyones market like any business but it is successfully eating unions at the moment.

IMO the game isn't as enjoyable as league but that's me, I am sure you think differently.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
"Good game of footy" - Some one must have actually made a one on one tackle, or maybe a team passed the ball more than once on the 2nd or 3rd tackle before running straight into the 3 man group cuddle commonly referred to as a tackle.

Rugby League - A simple domestic game with no international relevance that is played by people with extensive tattoo collections in parts of Auckland, Sydney, Brisbane and the North of England. It is fighting for its very survival even in traditional strongholds as evidenced in poor crowd attendance, constant hyperbole from a fanboy media contingent desperate to drum up support to justify the hugely overpriced TV rights deals they have paid, with unprofitable clubs, bathed in constant negative publicity of alcohol abuse, recreational and performance enhancing drug use, inappropriate behaviour and domestic violence issues. The peak body is continually changing the rules, inflating the dwindling participation figures, misrepresenting P/L figures through extremely optimistic rounding up, and has such an opaque internal justice system that the head of their judiciary has recently quit in disgust at the lack of natural justice. The game has a history of being financially propped up by the Tobacco, Alcohol and Gambling industries.
That is certainly a positive view of rugby league.;) Did Todd Carney piss in your mouth? What would be interesting would be a bit of a bio as to your background/environment that gave rise to such an opinion?

I personally think of it as a physically demanding simple game. Where one team tries to stop one side from getting any yards or scoring their six tackles and the other side tries to get the most yards and score in their six plays.

As for the popularity of rugby league, like a lot of sports not everyone loves it, but if you only supported sports that everyone was a fan of wouldn't we all just be supporting soccer and basketball?

As for the culture of rugby league, I think it has a relatively humble culture and a family orientated one. It certainly has its bad parts like any sport from the AFL to union to NFL. Like all things there are good and bad parts.

Anyhow, I do hope you get something positive from your hatred.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The only problem is now 7 and 10 have shown interest in showing the sport instead.

No one seems to be interested in showing super rugby live.

Neither of those articles suggested 7 or 10 would show A-League games live either.
7 and 10 would be very interested in showing Super Rugby and A-League games live. It will just come down to price.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Neither of those articles suggested 7 or 10 would show A-League games live either.
7 and 10 would be very interested in showing Super Rugby and A-League games live. It will just come down to price.

You mean, if it is cheap enough they might be interested if they can cherry pick one game a week in prime time?

How would this be viable? It would require financial sacrifices by either the ARU or Fox Sports, surely.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Shute shield on 7two 16k

Thanks Jamie for the tip on this one. Looks like we'll get ratings info on Shute Shield all year (and hopefully they go up from there)

Status
Not open for further replies.