• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Champione! Champione!

Just dominated today. Couldn't have asked for much more from the men in gold! Superb! #GoGold

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bloody good effort from NZL to go from 7th ranked ODI team to make it to the final.

They have had a solid and largely unheralded buildup to this tournament as they have quietly got on with the job at hand.

Home ground advantage helped then during qualifying, but them's the rubs. Someone has to be at home and it was their turn this time.

The way they played, you'd have to think that they would still have been in the final, or semi finals regardless of where the tournament was played.

As often happens in World cups, the final fails to live up to all the hype, and the "best" games are often in the pool play or early knock out stages.

IMHO, the best games of the tournament were the AUS v NZL game at Eden Park, and SAF v NZL semi final.
Superb examples of ODI cricket.

Best moment of the tournament for many would be the confirmation of ENG's minnow status as they exited the tournament before the knockout stage.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Congrats Australia, clearly the better team on GF day, but still pleased with the way NZ played their games in NZ & not sure it would've made any difference had we played any Pool matches this side of the dutch..........

Great tournament, hopefully ICC relents on the "no Associates" format or at least makes everyone go through some kind of qualifying process.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Great bowling performance all tournament. That no team could score more than 233 in 7 innings in this day and age is pretty remarkable.

Edit - I missed Sri Lanka 312

Had a quick flick through some of the old tournaments, no one has ever restricted their opposition to such low totals. Best bowling attack in WC history?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
is that right? Incredible considering how much it has developed into a batsman's game.

great stat pick up.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
is that right? Incredible considering how much it has developed into a batsman's game.

great stat pick up.

Edit. Of course I forgot one -Sri Lanka's 312. So nope, not right

No guarantees but I think so! Slightly ruined by the kiwis 9 for 152, but I think every other WC champ had at least one higher score.

Closest is probably Pakistan 1992 who had similar stats in the 8 rain effected pool games but they let the kiwis put 262 on them in the semi

vegascane

Chris McKivat (8)
And this is what pisses Kiwi's off about Aussie sportsmen, particularly your cricket team. Classless. Don't know how to win and don't know how to lose, and you want your boys to grow up and be like these role models. Ridiculous.

Yesterday you won fair and square, you were the better team and kicked our butts, but have some class when you do.

Back to the Rugby.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...in-cricket-world-cup-final-for-being-too-nice

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hell you have to congratulate the Aussies, were superb in the final, bowling was too good. Anyway I not down in the dumps, was never expecting us to win ,so just went along for the ride. As I said Aussie were too good.
Lol HJ, glad you noticed we got through to finals with home ground advantage, and no one else did, or have home ground advantage in final!! Actually both NZ and Aus appeared to be unable to win away from home huh??;)
Anyway I pretty happy with how BCs went, a bit further than I thought, and now they can get off the bloody rugby fields so we can concentrate on RUGBY!!!:D

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
And this is what pisses Kiwi's off about Aussie sportsmen, particularly your cricket team. Classless. Don't know how to win and don't know how to lose, and you want your boys to grow up and be like these role models. Ridiculous.

Yesterday you won fair and square, you were the better team and kicked our butts, but have some class when you do.

Back to the Rugby.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...in-cricket-world-cup-final-for-being-too-nice
Lot of kiwis have missed the joke on these comments. He's clearly taking the piss.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not the greatest game of cricket ever but very happy with the result. Thought New Zealand were fantastic all tournament. Unfortunately they ran into an Australian unit that were disciplined, ruthless, and faultless. As a few of the commentators said, the fielding was exemplary and Starc's first over really set the tempo of the game. 183 was never going to be enough on that wicket, I kinda wish McCullum had been abit more respectful and given himself time but I reckon he figured you live and die by the sword. Apart from Elliott the rest really struggled against the pace onslaught.

What can be said about the Aussies? Easily the most brutal bowling attack and most all-rounded XI in the tournament. Steve Smith is a sensational prospect and it was interesting to note that they had the youngest squad in the tournament. You'd think they will be a huge contender again in four years. Farewell to Clarke and Haddin who leave the ODI game as world champions, and deservedly so.

My tournament XI would be:
Dhawan (IND)
Guptil (NZ)
Smith (AUS)
Sangakkara (SRL)
De Villiers (RSA)
Maxwell (AUS)
Vettori (NZ)
Starc (AUS)
Morkel (RSA)
Shami (IND)
Boult (NZ)
12th: Taylor (ZIM)

Awesome tournament and I'm glad the good guys were in the showpiece event but it carried on a couple weeks too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.