• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Blues, Saturday 28 March, Round 7 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So I went to the match last night with about 10 work colleagues many of whom weren't rugby union fans, firstly the crowd was disappointing which created a lacklustre atmosphere compared to the Brumbies match last week, and then the game wasn't much to write home about, I enjoyed it but it definitely didn't convert the other non rugby fans that we brought along.. The error rate was just to high creating a stop/start match..

Hopefully they were at the bar for the last 5 minutes of the first half and missed the 5 minute scrum.:)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dismal Pillock will love this: http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2015/rugby/story/260701.html

Seems that Kirwan is singing from the same songsheet as Richard Graham!
It is standard template stuff.

The 4 steps to sack a sports coach
Step 1. Team starts losing. Convenient excuses are found - usually injury crisis, or "full credit to the opposition. We have a few things to work on at training this week".

Step 2. Coach denial. "We can still make finals", "I'm not going anywhere soon" etc but CV has been circulated.

Step 3. Full support of the Board. "We are not looking for a new coach. Coach x has the full support of the board, and they will be seeing out their full contract." The process is irreversible at this stage, and it is just a matter of time until we see step 4. The Board is reviewing CV's and contacting potential replacements.

Step 4. Coach sacked. "The Board regrets to announce that we have reached an arrangement with Coach x to release them from the rest of their contractual obligations and we wish Coach x all the best for their future endeavours."

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It is standard template stuff.

The 4 steps to sack a sports coach
Step 1. Team starts losing. Convenient excuses are found - usually injury crisis, or "full credit to the opposition. We have a few things to work on at training this week".

Step 2. Coach denial. "We can still make finals", "I'm not going anywhere soon" etc but CV has been circulated.

Step 3. Full support of the Board. "We are not looking for a new coach. Coach x has the full support of the board, and they will be seeing out their full contract." The process is irreversible at this stage, and it is just a matter of time until we see step 4. The Board is reviewing CV's and contacting potential replacements.

Step 4. Coach sacked. "The Board regrets to announce that we have reached an arrangement with Coach x to release them from the rest of their contractual obligations and we wish Coach x all the best for their future endeavours."
You left out the step where the coach quotes various statistics to show that they should have, in fact, won a number of games, but the opposition happened to score more points.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Next up then must be the Grant Fox statement that Surgeon Kirwan has the full support of the Blues Board.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was a very harsh call, I agree. Refs blinded by the blood, which was clearly from an accidental head clash. Questionable that it was even high and penalty-worthy as Dennis ducked at the time too.

It wasn't really a head clash. Kaino's shoulder hit Dennis' eyebrow.

I think it was a high tackle and certainly a penalty. A yellow card was probably a little harsh.

Dennis didn't really duck into it. His head position dropped slightly but Kaino was way too high for a legal tackle.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
No high tackle just a good honest shot. Play on.

Best description yet. Dennis fell into the hit, and a nasty head clash! No grounds for a yellow card at all.

Felt almost sorry for Mr Kaino, then i went and got a beer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The SMH article is suggesting that SANZAR sent Cheika a please explain and he explained and then they issued him a warning.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The SMH article is suggesting that SANZAR sent Cheika a please explain and he explained and then they issued him a warning.

I'd like to see that 'please explain' notice and the actual explanation especially when the penalty count swung so much after their talk INCLUDING that ridiculous yellow card to Kaino.

I find it unbelievable that Cheika didn't know that he couldn't go into the the refs room OR that Peyper himself didn't know.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly Cheika planned the Kaino high tackle and subsequent yellow card with Peyper at half time.

The yellow card was over the top but it definitely warranted a penalty. If your shoulder connects with someone's eyebrow you've probably tackled them too high.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
penalty count first half: 8-1 Blues
Coach Chieka illegally breaks into refs room at halftime
penalty count second half: 9-1 Waratahs.

kim-jung-un_zps1fb5cdb7.gif

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Clearly Cheika planned the Kaino high tackle and subsequent yellow card with Peyper at half time.

The yellow card was over the top but it definitely warranted a penalty. If your shoulder connects with someone's eyebrow you've probably tackled them too high.

1. If Kaino had possession of the ball, run it up at Dennis and had hit Dennis as a tackler in exactly the same way, is it still a yellow card? A penalty? His shoulder still connects with an eyebrow so why not card or penalise the ball-carrier?

2. Cheika didn't plan it obviously but it seems he was keen to get the ref to see his way on things.

If you can't see how bad this looks, there's not much I can say really.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. If Kaino had possession of the ball, run it up at Dennis and had hit Dennis as a tackler in exactly the same way, is it still a yellow card? A penalty? His shoulder still connects with an eyebrow so why not card or penalise the ball-carrier?

2. Cheika didn't plan it obviously but it seems he was keen to get the ref to see his way on things.

If you can't see how bad this looks, there's not much I can say really.

Of course it wouldn't be a penalty if Kaino was the ball carrier. The law refers to a tackler not tackling a player above the line of the shoulders. Kaino's shoulder hitting Dennis in the eyebrow would suggest that the tackle was too high.

I don't agree with the yellow card because Dennis did drop slightly into the tackle. If you're a defender and you're relying on the ball runner not dropping the slightest bit into contact to ensure your tackle isn't high you're going to be caught out regularly though. The onus will always be on the tackler, not the ball carrier.

I can definitely see how bad this looks. It seems fairly certain though that if it was as bad as it looks, more action would have been taken. Do you really think if Cheika had bailed up Peyper in the rooms and physically or verbally intimidated him it wouldn't have been taken further?

I think it's definitely out of the ordinary and the rule exists because it isn't appropriate but I think the reaction afterwards indicates that there's nothing further to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.