• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bow seat

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know (first hand but not for rowing) - but why the marketing if you're not going to get them to play for you????
to the extent of sending talent identification people to events
Well firstly I think we have to clear up that they're "bonus points", they're not, all it is, is that certain universities will lower the entrance mark for a course ( not all of them mind you ), if you have performed well in the sporting arena.

It's purely a recognition of the time and effort you have put into a sport that could've been spent studying. There is no forced sporting requirements that come with it.

If you're talking about the US however, well that's a different kettle of fish completely if we were open to that particular discussion?

Armstrong

Stan Wickham (3)
Well firstly I think we have to clear up that they're "bonus points", they're not, all it is, is that certain universities will lower the entrance mark for a course ( not all of them mind you ), if you have performed well in the sporting arena.

It's purely a recognition of the time and effort you have put into a sport that could've been spent studying. There is no forced sporting requirements that come with it.

If you're talking about the US however, well that's a different kettle of fish completely if we were open to that particular discussion?

My knowledge is of NSW unis and institutuons only, not sure about other states,

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
BOSTES and UAC do call them Bonus Points. That's exactly what they are.

Your ATAR is whatever you earned; that remains the same. The bonus points can be used to gain entry to a course which you might not otherwise qualify to enter.

These are at the university's discretion and change from year to year. Obviously the extremely popular and sought-after courses like Combined Laws do not offer bonus points as they can fill the places twice over with students who got all band 6s and ATARS above 99.85.

As far as I am aware from the vast number of students I have known to use bonus points, it has nothing to do with recruitment of athletes to tertiary institutions. That takes place separately and is much more about tailoring study/training combinations to individuals.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
BOSTES and UAC do call them Bonus Points. That's exactly what they are.

Your ATAR is whatever you earned; that remains the same. The bonus points can be used to gain entry to a course which you might not otherwise qualify to enter.

These are at the university's discretion and change from year to year. Obviously the extremely popular and sought-after courses like Combined Laws do not offer bonus points as they can fill the places twice over with students who got all band 6s and ATARS above 99.85.

As far as I am aware from the vast number of students I have known to use bonus points, it has nothing to do with recruitment of athletes to tertiary institutions. That takes place separately and is much more about tailoring study/training combinations to individuals.

Sydney University puts it quite well: "The Elite Athletes and Performers Scheme (EAPS) is for applicants who are able to demonstrate that they are elite athletes or performers, and have had training, competition and/or practice commitments which have significantly affected their results."
Several popular Sydney Uni courses do not allow the bonus points to operate, such as Psychology and Combined Medicine.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sydney University puts it quite well: "The Elite Athletes and Performers Scheme (EAPS) is for applicants who are able to demonstrate that they are elite athletes or performers, and have had training, competition and/or practice commitments which have significantly affected their results."
Several popular Sydney Uni courses do not allow the bonus points to operate, such as Psychology and Combined Medicine.

They were offering bonuses for playing in the NSW School's Cricket carnival - with notable exceptions the kids playing in that would do the same amount of training as kids playing 2nd XI.
and none of them do as much as a school's 1st VIII

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
here on the UAC page is a different story.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 8.32.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 8.32.35 pm.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 331

Edgar Ijmuiden

Stan Wickham (3)
Well, that belongs in the OMG files, under the heading "Holy Crap!!!"

Good on Nudgee for shaking it up. What a gutsy row.

Shore did what they've done all season, took it out too hard and faded.

Joeys did what they've done all season, settled in and then burst through; but this time they had opposition who were on to them and they probably regret allowing Nudgee such a big opening margin.

As for Scotch: well, even invincibles have their moments of stupidity and failure. The sight of that cox with his hand up in forlorn hopes of the race restarting will stay with me..as will the glorious sight of the Nudgee coxswain throwing himself into the arms of the stroke after the win.

That's what rowing is all about.

Interesting NSW School Boy/U19 results at Nationals

I agree that Nudgee had a great row. My view is that they can improve big time for how much water they are still missing at catch. As for Junior selections it could be possible, that they are going if they can mobilze the boys and get around school policies. Their coach Christian Orneto had the bronze winning double last year and knows what it takes to win medals at U19 worlds. Question is if Adam Bakker stays in the eight or goes for single. They have enough U19 potential in QLD floating around from Toowong to improve that eight as well.

2015 U19 qualification time for 8+ is 5:50, which Nudgee did, single is 7:09. Adam was with 7:11 close, I can't recall the wind conditions though during his race. Also, a Scots boy did well in the SB singles finishing 4th.

Other GPS folks: The coxed four, a Shore/Scots/Joeys composite started under Sydney flag and finished second behind Kinross in U19. They didn't look happy with Silver. This crew started at States already and they have rowed a bit together. Question is if they can get down to 6:29 qualification time. Who has seen a SB four going that fast?

The U19 pair, a St Augustines/Riverview combination starting under Mosman, won in a great race over Toowong in 6:55. Required time is 6:53, so they are close. This pair rowed in the AUS JM4- last year.

They also rowed in a U19 4- combination with two Kings boys and finished second behind Toowong. Their time with 6:32 was relatively slow compare to the U19 4+. Coach for pair and straight four is St Aug coach Matt UNgemach, who has the international experience and might try the same trick as last year with the JM4-. My bet is on the pair or he got some other rowers up his sleeve from the Mosman stable. Ungemach did a tremendous job with Prater (Uni) on the NSW Y8 as well, 6:42!

The SB quad, Kinross won, Scots Silver and Newington and Shore placed in the A Final. I don't know from which crew the GPS folks were, I assume some 2nd eights?

For the youngsters in the Yr10/U17 eight only two NSW crews: Shore finishing third in a very fast race in 6:07! I must say that Melb Grammar looked very polished and so did Scotch. St Aug was the other NSW crew finishing in the minors, but still in a 6:20.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Interesting NSW School Boy/U19 results at Nationals

Question is if Adam Bakker stays in the eight or goes for single. They have enough U19 potential in QLD floating around from Toowong to improve that eight as well.

Other GPS folks: The coxed four, a Shore/Scots/Joeys composite started under Sydney flag and finished second behind Kinross in U19. They didn't look happy with Silver. This crew started at States already and they have rowed a bit together. Question is if they can get down to 6:29 qualification time. Who has seen a SB four going that fast?
I reckon Bakker will go the single myself. I think he's maybe flagged that.

The Shore/Joeys/Scots composite haven't quite rowed together that much. I think the Shore boy didn't row this time because DJ overruled it. Now it's all over they'll probably put some time in for the selection trials.

kickingtee

Allen Oxlade (6)
I reckon Bakker will go the single myself. I think he's maybe flagged that.

The Shore/Joeys/Scots composite haven't quite rowed together that much. I think the Shore boy didn't row this time because DJ overruled it. Now it's all over they'll probably put some time in for the selection trials.

Word from up here in Queensland is that Bakker will do the scull, with two Brisbane Grammar School boys selected along with 6 from the Nudgee eight in the Queensland Schoolboy Pathway Eight that will trial at national trials. One of the boys from the Nudgee crew is not an Australian citizen yet.

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
I am interested in views on what the best winter rowing program is to join for GPS school boys in Sydney?

I know of Sydney RC, where many Shore kids went and some from New, coached by JB, Carter & Co. Seemed to be run quite well.

UTS is back after the new boats shed has been build and coaches hired. There is obviously no experience with that program yet?

MRC did a good job in the past, fewer numbers, kids from all schools with a large contingent from View. They advertise again, I am worried about the location on Middle harbour. Perhaps better water but a logistical nightmare to get to school. The coaches who will actually run the program are not confirmed.

Drummoyne and Leichard might not have the top end coaches but run solid winter rowing as well, large Grammar group at Drummoyne.

Sydney Uni seem to have no winter rowing as such.

At MRC, Drummoyne and Leichardt I am concerned volunteer coaches will be assigned to raise funds, which impacts quality.

Could people share their experience with the different programs? I am interested in the value and looking for good coaching (technique development), scull to sweep convergence for Yr9/10 and small boat preparation Yr11/12.

Thank you

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Think you've hit the nail on the head and summed up the alternatives well. I'd go with SRC as the pro coaches are more onto it. Being part of a well run club is useful in showing the 'other side' of rowing. They have a pretty good track record assisting boys into their respective senior eights.

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
I am interested in views on what the best winter rowing program is to join for GPS school boys in Sydney?

I know of Sydney RC, where many Shore kids went and some from New, coached by JB, Carter & Co. Seemed to be run quite well.

UTS is back after the new boats shed has been build and coaches hired. There is obviously no experience with that program yet?

MRC did a good job in the past, fewer numbers, kids from all schools with a large contingent from View. They advertise again, I am worried about the location on Middle harbour. Perhaps better water but a logistical nightmare to get to school. The coaches who will actually run the program are not confirmed.

Drummoyne and Leichard might not have the top end coaches but run solid winter rowing as well, large Grammar group at Drummoyne.

Sydney Uni seem to have no winter rowing as such.

At MRC, Drummoyne and Leichardt I am concerned volunteer coaches will be assigned to raise funds, which impacts quality.

Could people share their experience with the different programs? I am interested in the value and looking for good coaching (technique development), scull to sweep convergence for Yr9/10 and small boat preparation Yr11/12.

Thank you

Best to assess coaches on how good they are, rather than what they are paid. Otherwise Sydney taxi drivers are some of the best drivers on our roads.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
They are good. JB has won quite a few 2nd VIII HOTRs at Shore as well as with Erik Horrie; Don Cech has had great results at regattas this year including Gold Cup, NSW State Championships; Narionals wins in 8s and 4s etc. DJ from Shore occasionally comes over in the off season to coach a crew.. LC.has coached quite a few Womens state crews. It generally goes without saying (but obviously has to be said here) good coaches do get paid. They don't draw their names from a barrel.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
They are good. JB has won quite a few 2nd VIII HOTRs at Shore as well as with Erik Horrie; Don Cech has had great results at regattas this year including Gold Cup, NSW State Championships; Narionals wins in 8s and 4s etc. DJ from Shore occasionally comes over in the off season to coach a crew.. LC.has coached quite a few Womens state crews. It generally goes without saying (but obviously has to be said here) good coaches do get paid. They don't draw their names from a barrel.

The fees may play a part in your decision. For example, North Shore is a lovely club with excellent coaches and a great vibe but annual fee is in excess of $600 and they have NO junior membership fee. So a 14 year old coughs up the same as an adult. Whereas SRC has a fee structure with greatly reduced junior membership, like $200. A big difference if parents have more than one rower to support.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Interesting, thanks Barry. Where are the results available? And can you enlighten as to the selection of each state crew? different from youth races at nationals?

GPSperson

Frank Row (1)
Hey, I read on a post that somebody had posted the results of the GPS time trials for the GPS 1st VIII, however I can't find the post where these times are listed. Would someone be kind enough to post the results again?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
The two lists are slightly different. Lawler is included on the yellow one but not on the official one from Boo R.

Also the order they are listed in is different.

AND - how long since there has been a GPS honorary 1st eight with NO representation from Shore? Anybody who has access to historic lists, please enlighten us.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Status
Not open for further replies.