• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nothing wrong with that. He could be very valuable having played in the Premiership for the last 2 years. Not like we're stacked with lock talent atm and he's playing real good footy atm.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
He would be the only player behind Simmons with international line out calling experience. He'd have to have improved quite a bit to offer anything more. Still it's a bit more depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I havent seen him play for ages, but do remember him as a fairly unimpressive test player. Surely he's not a genuine option at lock.

even as a 6/lock surely there would be a bunch of blokes who would be preferred

We are quietly building our lock stocks. Simmons to come back from injury, Skelton playing a full 80 and jumping in the line out, Dennis getting harder each game, Arnold nearly on a par with Sam Carter, Luke Jones building experience, Coleman shedding his rookie status.
We'll be OK. Not Retallic or Thorn-like yet though.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

But McCalman, who plays for Western Force, is understood to be in negotiations with the ARU about a deal that would allow him to play a season in Japan but return to play next year’s Super Rugby tournament with either the Force or NSW Waratahs, who are chasing his signature as a replacement for Palu.

Pleaseeeeee

So, Lopeti Timani would have a HUGE opportunity at 8 next year

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some big decisions ahead for the ARU. To what extent are we to embrace the increasing internationalism of the game?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I don't think the status quo is realistic.

In soccer (not just Australia), players play for clubs all over the world and the best available are selected for the national team regardless of where they play at club level.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
but the A-League is getting bugger all ratings, and crowds are mostly smaller than ours (correct?).

The FFA are losing money despite the buckets and buckets of cash it got from the Govt (and various Westfield p'ships).

And the Australian team has basically no national identity within their country. Did you know they just played two 'test matches' (yeah, I know, they are friendlies) overseas? I didn't. Fresh off the back of their Asian Cup victory and they are back to playing pretty anonymous internationals.

I wouldn't be holding up football in Australia as the ideal model.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Outside of the Graft, Corruption and Backhanders World Cup event, when do they play Soccer matches between various Country of Origin All Star Invitation teams that are not called "Friendlies".

Friendly is probably useful term in their world because the round ball community take their GGB World Cup pretty seriously with the Honduras and El Salvador going to war over a World Cup qualifier. El Salvador won and about 2000 people were killed in the War.:eek:

I think someone was murdered in South America in Colombia or Equador after they scored an own goal. The Eritrea team defected in 2009, and I'm pretty sure that Iran or Iraq or North Korea teams have got in trouble over their World Cup performances.