• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Jim Tucker tracked down the Brumbies crowd on twitter. I think it ended up being 22,000 odd IRC.

Yes, and 19,199 is the 'official ' crowd for the Reds v Lions game. (I'd still say the actual numbers there looked much less to me, and others here seem to have that intuition too.)

What is of course notable is how completely the QRU has withdrawn its previous enthusiasm for putting the crowd numbers up in bold on the big screens towards the end of each game.

That non-statement of crowd numbers is in itself a statement as to how well the 'pre-billed as a great new 2015 season filled with stars and fresh hopes' season has actually turned out in reality. The 2015 crowd numbers are rapidly declining to 2009-ish levels (as I posted elsewhere after checking the 2009 Reds' home crowd levels)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't believe players have approached the Board. They are not that stupid.

Players will sit back and wait for the Board to arrive at their decision. I think Everybody knows the bloke will not be reappointed.

Board has taken a public stand for the foreseeable future and ANY player stupid enough to go against their wishes would be fucked off sooner or later

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's a worry that the board have circled the wagons and are preparing for a long drawn out process.

Big worry indeed QH.

A number of posters here have conjectured strongly that it's assured RG will be gone for the 2016 season.

I for one see not a jot of concrete evidence as yet to support that (highly appealing) theory. On the contrary, the QRU CEO and Chair give all the appearances of assessing many wondrous options of 'doing everything' re the Reds parlous w-l outcome bar changing the Head Coach.

Remember RG was the guy that, back in early 2012 when they appointed him with zero evidence of an objective selection process, McCall and Carmichael argued would see to it that the Reds 2011 glories were consolidated and taken into yet another successful new era.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Players will sit back and wait for the Board to arrive at their decision. I think Everybody knows the bloke will not be reappointed.

Board has taken a public stand for the foreseeable future and ANY player stupid enough to go against their wishes would be fucked off sooner or later

The players have a representative on the board don't they? Horwill I think.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Although it's reasonable to expect that senior players wouldn't at least have some discussion with board members, if things are as bad as some suggest. I think that you're right to the extent that a deputation hasn't gone to the board demanding RG be sacked, but maybe they've questioned the way things are being run and offered their thoughts?

If things get too bad, it will probably be the board and their coach who are thrown overboard before the mass of players.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
@Tomikin, I don't recall them putting the crowd figure up at the brumbies game - and no one I went with can recall it either.

Are you sure you aren't confusing it with the number they flash up for the ticket draw prize thing? It's put up on the screen with about 10-15 minutes to go.

I could be mate, It was my birthday and I had been drinking from about 12 that day. But I remember seeing the 13549 :) stuck in my mind as it seems so rubbish..

So happy to be proven wrong

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just so we know who to blame, here's the Board of Directors

Rod McCall - Chairman
Jim Carmichael - CEO
Mark Thompson
Chris White
Paul McNicholl
Damien Frawley
Mark Connors
James Horwill - Player's Representative

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gees. I actually like the fact the board told the players to piss off. The players are paid to play under the coach that is appointed by the QRU.

player power be gone.

Perform on the field. Then they might have some weight behind the whinging.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Gees. I actually like the fact the board told the players to piss off. The players are paid to play under the coach that is appointed by the QRU.

player power be gone.

Perform on the field. Then they might have some weight behind the whinging.

Perform on the field?

They have no structure at all and have shown little improvement after the bye. There is more to this than just the players. I have never seen so many 10s especially QC (Quade Cooper) play so far behind the adv line for the life of me. No improvement on that since Rd 1.

Reactions: gel

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Probably fair but the one thing i would hate more than what we're doing now is a player revolt.
They sack Graham and start the rebuild even at the end of the season and it's still a shorter road back from the rot that that is a 'player power' coupe.
We'd have way bigger issues than just a dud coach if that were to happen.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm not sure. If players can't buy into the plan, what's the point of having a coach. If there are genuine issues there, they should be heard. While I'm all for giving a coach a fair go, some blokes can't cut it in some environments. It's not like the Reds were a rabble when RG got there, and the players have at least publicly supported the bloke. Judging by the results and body language, maybe the board should scratch a bit deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gel

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If there are genuine issues there, they should be heard.

The players' issues should be heard. But it should be pretty obvious to even the most rusted on Richard Graham supporters—if there are any—that regardless of whether he officially departs tomorrow or in two months, he is gone as coach.

With the publicised talk of Connolly coming in, RG's removal is already underway. While the players do have some input, it's not in their remit to decide how the transition to the next coach occurs. Those who think otherwise should be in the departure lounge with Graham.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Brendan, a player revolt would make the Reds about as appealing to any quality coach as wandering through Chernobyl naked, at night, in the middle of winter.

It'd be a possible short-term fix (hardly any guarantee it would work at all - shit could potentially get worse, and then you have the playing group possibly cannibalizing itself) with almost guaranteed long-term losses tied to it. I think the boys are doing the right thing at the moment, regardless of on-field stuff or how negative the dressing room atmosphere is.

The risk:reward just isn't there for a player revolt to be even remotely viable as a course of action. God only knows how Stiles and the other assistants would handle it, be they targets of it or not. It would be plain disastrous for the organization on multiple levels.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Horwill is the players rep on the Board.
Horwill is leaving at the end of this year.
Horwill should have no fear in raising the issues that the team has with the coach at Board level. Has he done that ? Does he even need to do that?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Horwill is the players rep on the Board.
Horwill is leaving at the end of this year.
Horwill should have no fear in raising the issues that the team has with the coach at Board level. Has he done that ? Does he even need to do that?

he also has no incentive to bring up the matter on behalf of the players, he wont be there and does not need support as captain

Status
Not open for further replies.