• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2015

ISA Title

• Oakhill

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • St Augustines

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Kinross

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Stannies

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • St Pius

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • St Gregs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Pats

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Taylor

Frank Row (1)
Just watched Stannies play Barker at Barker. Stannies won 41-5. Stannies looks to have a really strong team this year with the likes of the Donato brothers, Josh Oxley, Sam Thomas, Jack Veich returning with a great squad coming up.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
A good first trial match today with a display that leaves both teams with plenty to work on.
I thought I was going to miss the trip to Bathurst or Oakhill this year as Augies host both these teams at Narrabeen in the ISA com. The trip to Knox helped fill that potential void, there was something about the atmosphere that approximated those experiences without being too wrenching. :D

the emotion displayed by the respective teams and their supporters at the result may give some insight to where each expect to be further into the season

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hear that Augustines are to play Southland BHS (Invercargill?) on Easter Saturday at Rat Park (I think?). Not sure of time.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Oaks got away to a flyer to lead 17-5 in the first half. Their De-la-salle brother from New Zealand forgot to give in and brought it all back to 17 each at oranges.
Oaks maintained their concentration against the tiring Kiwis and controlled the second stanza for a 29-17 win

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Pix from Oakhill College vs Francis Douglas Memorial College game
10422256_904367006272745_1177051311557230073_n.jpg

My mate, Mr Google, tells me that Southland Boys High School are perpetual runners up to Otago Boys High School for the Highlanders top 1st XV title, which is not a bad achievement because Otago BHS often go on to the NZ Schools Top 4 Play Offs.

Augies will be given a solid workout by the boys from NZ's deep south and this game should set down a good marker for Augies chances for the year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are there any forum members who would be interested in writing match reports on ISA games this year?

We usually manage to get a three-page blog out every week on the AAGPS and CAS competition and while it may be ambitious to do so for the ISA, a one page summary of the ISA round would be a start.

Or maybe you take photos during a game and you can forward a few. They can be added to somebody else's writing and lift the whole report.

As well as the weekly ISA summary, are there any takers prepared to help assemble a 2015 ISA Season Preview?

You don't need to cover all the schools, and a 200-400 word report on each of the schools you are familiar with would suffice with the overall 2015 ISA season preview being assembled as a collaborative effort.

Would anybody interested in providing writing or photos please send @Lee Grant and myself a "convo" by clicking on Inbox and then on "Start a new conversation."

Thank you.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can confirm Ben Marr, Josh Oxley and James Donato are year 11 and will be returning in 2015. Bennet James is a 97' baby but cannot confirm whether he is year 11 or 12. Brandon Burns is heading off to colts in 2015*

Bennet James is nominated as the starting hooker for Hobbits Colts 3 this weekend. Is he moonlighting in the ISA off season as a dozen or so usually do each year, or has he finished his schooling?

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
St Augs played Southland Boys High School this morning, postponed from yesterday afternoon.
30-12 to St Augs.

SBSH very well drilled, not surprising for a school that has turned out 36 All Blacks over the years according to the school website.
Their line outs were exceptional, their ball handling and scrum downs top notch.
Their one successful conversion - the conversion was through the invisible third stick on the right - was due to the cricket result the sideline St Augs parents said. The SHBH parents happily agreed.

I think the stinking hot day that developed down this morning there at Kierle Park might have contributed to the far South of NZ boys running out of steam.

St Augs had a few ball handling errors but overall a good hit out.

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
St Augs played Southland Boys High School this morning, postponed from yesterday afternoon.
30-12 to St Augs.

SBSH very well drilled, not surprising for a school that has turned out 36 All Blacks over the years according to the school website.
Their line outs were exceptional, their ball handling and scrum downs top notch.
Their one successful conversion - the conversion was through the invisible third stick on the right - was due to the cricket result the sideline St Augs parents said. The SHBH parents happily agreed.

I think the stinking hot day that developed down this morning there at Kierle Park might have contributed to the far South of NZ boys running out of steam.

St Augs had a few ball handling errors but overall a good hit out.

Geez, reading this you would have thought Auggies had a shocker… ?? Scoreline suggests differently and a close friend tells me Auggies were looking pretty slick. Congrats augs !!

pilot

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is it now time for ISA to adopt a home and away season?
The draw is out and first game up is Auggies v Oakhill. The winner should win this years ISA shield. Stannies have a tough away draw this year and could cause an upset but I would fancy their chances if they had the 2 big sides at home. Pats and Gregs have some good players coming through but maybe next year will be a closer comp.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
the Invercargill lads saw this as their most important match this tour and wanted to win this match (as told to me by some of their parents) it was their third in a week after playing teams from Club and colts teams from Manly and Warringah. I am not sure which is which as I didn't take notes. Given the schedule an extra days rest may/should have been valuable for their preparation.
The matches I have seen between these two have been fairly intense physical contests. I am not sure how this Southlands team normally plays, but today looked like there were some big guns that did not fire (to their full potential). I doubt it was in deference to the warm hospitality shown by their hosts. The heat may have been a significant issue (I forgot blockout today and have broken out the aloe vera to treat the burn) Though they held the lead into the second half as the SBHS failed to keep up in the closing minutes.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
"Is it now time for ISA to adopt a home and away season?
The draw is out and first game up is Auggies v Oakhill. The winner should win this years ISA shield. Stannies have a tough away draw this year and could cause an upset but I would fancy their chances if they had the 2 big sides at home. Pats and Gregs have some good players coming through but maybe next year will be a closer comp"
pilot a moment ago

as much as I have enjoyed the trip to the western plains each year it is a big ask for those Orange and Bathurst teams to spend 8 weekends travelling to Sydney each season.

pilot

Allen Oxlade (6)
How do you get 8? Isn't it 5...
This should be 2 extra trips per season and Stannies probably come down for 2 trials anyway.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Only the rockstars from 1st XV come to Sydney from Kinross, Stannies, and the occasional guest appearance from All Saints Bathurst for the Trials. On a normal weekend, it is all teams from the school that head for Sydney. Huge difference in the logistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.