• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What about "narrowcasting" to a limited availability internet digital channel (or even closed circuit video distribution) as opposed to broadcasting out to all and sundry using the standard ACMA regulated TV frequencies?

Do 7 own all rights to all images of the Shute Shield games regardless of the medium or technologies used to get those images viewed at a remote location?

HJ - are you asking that given 7Two is predominantly Easts / Randwick etc. can other clubs stream the games until they cross the bridges to gods country ;) ?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's more concerning is what's happening at the bottom. While I'm a fervent supporter of expansion, how long can Penrith stay in SS? They replaced Drummoyne about 20 years ago and in that time wins have been few and far between and there doesn't appear to be any light at the end of the tunnel. In the past couple of weeks Hawkesbury Valley JRU have changed their afiliation from Penrith to Parramatta, which isn't really a good sign either.

I just can't see the point of the status quo. Something has to change (more support from NSWRU/ARU) or they go in a competition in which they are competitive.

Something has to give eventually. It's been so long at the bottom that it can't be sustainable. As much as I've followed Penrith for years since they came into SS (growing up in Richmond) I can't realistically see it changing anytime soon. It must be having a demoralising effect on the players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
HJ - are you asking that given 7Two is predominantly Easts / Randwick etc. can other clubs stream the games until the cross to gods country ;) ?
Yeah. I'm interested in how difficult and expensive it would be to get up a fairly basic stream (live or delayed) of a Shute shield game onto the internet.

Many folk are unable to catch a live stream because they are either at a Club (Subbies, Shute Shield) or School 1st XV game at pm on Saturday.

The second part of my thought bubble was are there any commercial or legal problems with the Clubs organising their own streaming live or delayed of their own games for their faithful, and other tragics. I think Bar TV were streaming some games last year at the same time as the ABC Match of the Day coverage. It was fairly basic coverage, but anything is better than nothing.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah. I'm interested in how difficult and expensive it would be to get up a fairly basic stream (live or delayed) of a Shute shield game onto the internet.

Many folk are unable to catch a live stream because they are either at a Club (Subbies, Shute Shield) or School 1st XV game at pm on Saturday.

The second part of my thought bubble was are there any commercial or legal problems with the Clubs organising their own streaming live or delayed of their own games for their faithful, and other tragics. I think Bar TV were streaming some games last year at the same time as the ABC Match of the Day coverage. It was fairly basic coverage, but anything is better than nothing.

Hi HJ - a question;
A highlights package like -
A day of Oliver pies from last year
Or the full game - ??
Hoping Manly do the same as last year.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Something has to give eventually. It's been so long at the bottom that it can't be sustainable. As much as I've followed Penrith for years since they came into SS (growing up in Richmond) I can't realistically see it changing anytime soon. It must be having a demoralising effect on the players.

Especially if they keep losing players to other clubs -- 7 to the Beasties this year?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How difficult and expensive is it to stream games? Obviously the more cameras, commentators, and sound and graphics included, the more expensive it becomes.

I am always reading about the QLD GPS games being live streamed, and what a good job Reds TV does with Bar TV (I think) to stream various NRC and Reds trial games.

Is there something in the arrangement with 7Two and the SRU that prevents the Clubs from arranging their own streaming?

At every Shute Shield game I go to there is at least one camera there recording video for coaching purposes. Many clubs dump their feeds in Vimeo or on youtube. It is just not all that user friendly or googleable for the casual fan to find.

Greetings Lawyers and Bush Lawyers in Gaggerland.
Who actually owns the IP, image rights or whatever is its correct commercial and legal name, to a Shute Shield game or the digital record of such? The SRU or the Home Club?

Has this rather simple but potentially challenging question actually been considered by anyone or are the parties stumbling around in feigned ignorance of the nest of sleeping vipers in the corner of the room, hoping that no one will stir them up.

I'm not sure what exactly the current postion is, but when I was last involved in grade/colts (about 10 years ago), it was like this.

The NSWRU had a camera at every grade and colts match, at the end of each match each club signed for a copy of the recording (VHS to start with and later DVD) and the third copy was retained for use by referees or whoever. If you had a send-off, you had to take the video in with you to Crane Place. So at that point in time, the NSWRU owned the recording. I'm not sure if the same situation still exists.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I think rugby would be better off basing the Western Rams at Penrith Park and canning the SS team altogether unless there is a reasonable chance of the club becoming competitive. (My preferred option would be a competitive SS team, but they seem no closer now than there were when they started)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's a long game that requires time,effort and money to be invested in the grass roots year in year out.
But we all know there is no desire from the powers that be for this type of growth in our game.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Emus have teams in all grades this year
Players have left to join bigger clubs and try to get full time contracts here and in act
Colts 2 drew with marlins
Two big losses against two of the top three teams
Last year Penrith thirds were bunch of guys playing the game they loved against much fitter younger teams the club lost so many players to other clubs and back to league that it's amazing they can put four grade sides out
Keep the faith they will get a few wins this year again

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Emus have teams in all grades this year
Players have left to join bigger clubs and try to get full time contracts here and in act
Colts 2 drew with marlins
Two big losses against two of the top three teams
Last year Penrith thirds were bunch of guys playing the game they loved against much fitter younger teams the club lost so many players to other clubs and back to league that it's amazing they can put four grade sides out
Keep the faith they will get a few wins this year again

I don't doubt the committment of the players to the game or the committment of the club to do the best they can. I remember playing Penrith in colts some years ago near the end of the season and each of their 4 colts teams had conceded 1200 points. So the committment to turn up and play is there and always was. I'm not sure it's doing rugby any good for those guys to turn up and get flogged reguarly with little hope of change. Guys will always go to other clubs, but maybe some of those guys wouldn't have gone back to league if the rugby team was mid-table and competitive.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's a long game that requires time,effort and money to be invested in the grass roots year in year out.
But we all know there is no desire from the powers that be for this type of growth in our game.

There's a spoken desire, but little action in pursuit of the desire.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)

I guess the best people to ask are the players!!!!

Do they play the game for the love? I have no idea how the players keep turning up week in week out!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Celebrate and recognise progress.
http://rugbyunion.resultsvault.com/common/pages/public/rv/PlayerScoringReport.aspx?entityid=53029

It is great to see that Rugby Link is getting some detail entered by some clubs but the data is not being used efficiently within the programme.

The above link seems to show that at least one club has been entering point scoring detail on their players, but somehow that detail is not being used in the fixture view, where there is no record of the number of tries, penalties, conversions or drop goals the team scored. It must be a very poorly designed database that can not use data from one table (player points scoring) in another view (Fixture details).

Player points calculations are not accurate, and sometimes reserves are recorded under the "run on" number, sometimes under the number on their back, and sometimes there is no jumper or position number. Goodness knows how they will calculate Fresh Reserve Player Points.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is it just me or does anyone else find the NSW Rugby website Shute Shield pages embarrassingly inadequate? They still have last year's club previews and team lists up. None of the results contain player lists and scorers. It's a relatively simple, if time consuming thing to keep it updated. Maybe Mr Jarse could offer his services?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Is it just me or does anyone else find the NSW Rugby website Shute Shield pages embarrassingly inadequate? They still have last year's club previews and team lists up. None of the results contain player lists and scorers. It's a relatively simple, if time consuming thing to keep it updated. Maybe Mr Jarse could offer his services?

Me 2.
Being week in week out - the Shute Shield is one of the codes primary advertisements, it is also a pathway that allot of Super Players have an affiliation with. As what you say, and I said a couple of posts back - HJ could lift the level substantially.

Status
Not open for further replies.