• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
031ee9e4853dbe3082f8327ecd1f6848.jpg

Cricinfo users vote this the most boring world cup ever. Obviously some national biases there but there's something to it.

Semi finalists as expected. Winner the pre-tournament favourite.

Not too many unexpected results (Ire over WI, and Bang over Eng)

Only a couple of good close games

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I beg to differ with that survey. Both Australian and New Zealand fans supported the competition magnificently, especially matches involving the minor nations. From a broad cricketing POV it was wonderful to see the Black Caps do well compared to some of the bigger, traditionally more powerful cricketing nations such as South Africa, India, England, WIndies and Pakistan. And the organisation of the CWC was superb.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I said after the group stage game that the other teams should be shitting themselves and so it proved. Absolutely the right pairing in the final and it was just our day on the day. The Kiwis were great value all through the tournament, even for a non-ODI follower like myself.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I beg to differ with that survey. Both Australian and New Zealand fans supported the competition magnificently, especially matches involving the minor nations. From a broad cricketing POV it was wonderful to see the Black Caps do well compared to some of the bigger, traditionally more powerful cricketing nations such as South Africa, India, England, WIndies and Pakistan. And the organisation of the CWC was superb.
Maybe competent and well run = boring? Then again 2007 was a shambles and it came second.

Suspect its just that no one else wants to see the hosts do well

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
All a bit biased too. I suspect if you asked which Olympics were the best or which Super Rugby season was the best it will always be the latter ones that will poll better than those long ago.

I think coverage of events these days are just brilliant compared to 20 years ago, total access. Modern events will naturally rate higher.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not the best example of an Australian defending the nations pride. Quade is one of ours. A Tokoroa boy with a Maori Ta Moko on his arm. That's Kiwi on Kiwi there. You really want to claim him?

Plus you seem to have a short memory of why he copped it so bad from us?

9074391.jpg

Kneeing people in the face while their on the ground pisses people off, just like going on a radio station the day after you win the CWC trying to justify sledging as part of the Australian way. Rubbish and seems like many other Australians feel that way too according to your own media. Sounds like you are in the minority.

Nice touch on the Hansen reminder, wonder where Darren Lehmann was when Haddin was on the radio yesterday. Great cricketer, classless personified.

I'm pretty sure Haddin was being sarcastic when he was on the radio the other day saying the Kiwis were so nice he had to sledge them. I've been told the Kiwi crowd & players @ the Eden park clash were getting stuck in big time when they'd rolled the Aussies & McCullum went to town.

As Clarke said "players have long memories". Elliot has done something @ sometime he even gave Warner a mouthful on his way out to bat so he has no problem dishing it out & to be fair Elliot hasn't come out and complained it's more the media.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
disco, me old mucker, back to the thread's topic please. We on G&GR shan't be accused of gloating in victory. It was a great CWC, let's dine out on that.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
I don't even know how a World Cup collectively can be boring.

Boring would be a relative term, I guess.

There weren't much in the way of really tight matches in this tournament, the NZ v Aus pool match and of course the semi stand out for me, but other than that there was Afghanistan v Scotland and England v Bangladesh, but not much else. From and NZ and Aus perspective it was great cause you guys won and we did better than we ever have, but I can see how everyone else didn't love it.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Vettori announces he's done, just announcing his last game for NZ was on the weekend.

Irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned. Absolute pro in all formats but particularly superb in the test arena where he took 350+ wickets.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him coaching NZ one day. Always struck me as an intelligent guy with a great cricket brain.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've always thought of him as a bit of a Harry Potter lookalike.

Damn fine cricketer that will be a huge loss for NZL.

He has served NZL with distinction since he arrived as a 17 (or 18) year old colt.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hope Vettori can do good things with the Heat and go on to a successful coaching career. Top guy, always been a fan of the way he goes about things.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Does anyone know why he never got contacts?

Actually Gwerty, now you ask it does seem a little odd, just that I remember my son saying when he a kid and got contacts how much better he found them to play in, said along lines with glasses it was always like looking through a window and contacts were much better. Perhaps Dan can't wear them (some people can't) or just maybe he used to glasses.
Bugger you got me wondering now:(

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
He has been quoted as saying that he has been wearing them since he was 3 so is used to them, and so is not interested in bothering with contacts.

There is also a reference to the fact he can take them off, Clark Kent style, to go incognito when in India. He is more recognised in Delhi than Auckland apparently.

Fun facts searched while my year 12s finish an assignment on a painfully slow computer network.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As someone who plays cricket in contact lenses, I do find it strange that Vettori has stuck with glasses.

To me, the biggest advantages of contact lenses are that it makes it easier to wear sunglasses and then be able to take them off if it gets dull (but still be able to see) and also the fact that when you're batting there's nothing to get sweat drops on or that can fog up when you get hot.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps Dan suffers the same affliction as I? That being theres no fucking way I'm sticking anything in my eyes. Keep away.

Status
Not open for further replies.