• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
This moron wrote a piece a couple of weeks ago how Sailor was the main attraction at the 2003 RWC, SBW in 2011 RWC and that Sam Burgess will do the same this years RWC.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...-unpleasant-time/story-e6frf55l-1227215238196

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-unpleasant-time/story-fnii0mk9-1227215238196

Sam Burgess isn't going to play the WC hahahaha

1- Manu Tuilagi
2- Luther Burrell
3- Jonathan Josep
4- Billy Twelvetrees
5- Brad Barritt
6- Kyle Eastmond

No, he won't

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Saw this on the Premier Sports channel web page yesterday:

premier_sports_nrl_mma_cropped.png

Yep, the NRL needs to do more about the wrestle in the game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Sydney Morning Herald used to have a lot of rugby coverage, in fact it is not all that long ago that the split with loig was pretty close to 50/50. We even used to get major stories about Sydney club rugby.

Today's paper has the best part of five pages about loig, and a two column article about rugby. Northern Hemisphere rugby at that.

No news is bad news.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Fairfax is hardly the rugby league media.

I have said it before and I will say it again, in Australia Rugby Union's biggest threat from a professional code point of view is AFL.

From a playing the game / junior perspective the biggest threat is soccer.

Rugby League is in the exact same boat.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
at the same time news corp have significantly improved their rugby coverage in recent years. AND you have a lot more niche websites like greenandgoldrugby covering our sport. To base fear on one day's reading is a bit harsh.

re;papbear

AFL is the biggest threat because its purposely funding and targeting the private schools which are the base of rugby with no fallback.

Its then the biggest threat to league because of their community funding.

It sounds ludicrous to be one of these voices but the best thing to happen would be a merger. And to leave bias out of it the only way a merger can happen because of the international game is to slip into rugby (though rugby would have to have significant administrative reform at the same time)

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I agree with you, both codes would benefit massively.

However, the biggest loser would be all the admin people where there are two jobs and now there is only one.

Also, I don't think the Northern Hemisphere RU (which I have the impression has more power then SANZAR) would change there game to reflect some sort of running hybrid that you would need to get rugby league on board.

But a merged game where everyone played everyone, with simple rules that both codes agree is a better game then either union or league would be better for everyone.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
league is played in two states in Australia,two counties in England and one City in NZ.
Rugby worldwide does not even know there is a game called Rugby League.
Don't hold your breath for any mergers.
It's like suggesting an independant petrol station in Lakemba is proposing a merger with Exxon Mobil.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I would suggest its more like Japan post buying toll, its big here and worth dealing with to grow and strengthen the potential footprint of the game. Though with a merger I wouldn't expect rule changes to the game of rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But they have got a Billion Dollar TV Deal on FTA and Foxtel.
But they have got a 900m Dollar TV Deal on FTA and Foxtel.
But they have got a 850m ish Dollar TV Deal on FTA and Foxtel.

The game is financially stable.
Most Clubs are profitable and do not need cash handouts from the peak body.
Some Clubs are profitable and do not need cash handouts from the peak body.
Two Clubs are profitable and do not need cash handouts from the peak body.

Our Crowds are awesome.
Our Stadiums are nearly always full.
Our Stadiums are usually full.
Our Stadiums are sometimes full.

Players misbehaviour is at an all time low,
Players have learned that the toilet is the place to deposit faeces and urine.
Players don't bite people like that Springbok Le Roux did to the New Zealand players ear.

AFL players take peptides, steroids and recreational drugs.
Our players own up to inadvertent use of supplements and take their punishment on the chin like a man.

We constantly change rules and seek to continually increase the number of match officials to make the game more appealing and the decisions more accurate.
We have some simple rules that are easy to understand and we use latest technology to make sure that the 4 on field match officials decisions and interpretations of those simple rules are correct so that everyone understands them and agrees with the 5 match officials eventual decisions.

The minnow nations at the world cup of league make the game interesting unlike the predictable poor performance of minnows at the Cricket World Cup.
Sometimes Australia gets beaten in a International match against New Zealand. That is exciting.

There are more juniors playing the game in Sydney and Brisbane than Rugby.

We give juniors free tickets to the NRL games.

We have tonnes high profile former Rugby Union players in our game, and lots more want to come across.
We have some high profile former Rugby Union players in our game.
Some of our players who have tried Rugby Union have come back to our game.

We get more stories in the paper about our game.

The NRL Footy Show is compelling viewing.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
They are all part of the same family.

Shitting in any form of rugby whether it be 9s 7s union league or touch, whilst proclaiming the greatness of afl comparatively you are just shooting the rugby family in the footy.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They are all part of the same family.

Shitting in any form of rugby whether it be 9s 7s union league or touch, whilst proclaiming the greatness of afl comparatively you are just shooting the rugby family in the footy.

I agree. I see League as the prodigal son who unlike in the Bible didn't see sense and return. Instead it kept thinking it was right, got heavy into meth and now finds itself providing certain services to media organisation to survive. :D

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Considering the amount of league players who move on to other sports, the tagline should be :

"the number one development sport in the western world "

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
league is played in two states in Australia,two counties in England and one City in NZ.
It's like suggesting an independant petrol station in Lakemba is proposing a merger with Exxon Mobil.

Rugby League Football: Helping the NZ Rugby Team to win the Bledisloe Cup since 1931

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The first step in winning a war (or even a battle) is: know your enemy.

It is shortsighted not to accept that loig is making pretty significant inroads in the Pacific Islands.

It is also shortsighted not to accept that it is trampling all over us here, even in our main heartlands. Our footprint in Australia is actually smaller than their little two state one.

The rest of the world's opinions will not do much to help us, unfortunately.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
that's my point you guys think rugby league is your enemy.

Its the closest relative you have, its like netball blaming basketball for not being as successful as it once was.

Fair dinkum ask around your friendship groups, rugby union people or people who fit the union demographic aren't all of a sudden following league, its other sports, or a turn off of union altogether. I dare say the ones following league still follow union too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Loig is not the enemy. It is our friend and helps keep Rugby out of the negative news. It has 16 pro teams. Rugby has 5 pro teams. Just over 3 to 1 ratio.

For every 3 negative stories in Loig, there should be 1 negative story from Rugby.

There has been the Beale Text issue, the "Hooper in the vicinity of a parking sign nearly being moved" story, KHunt's drug bust and Potgeiter's Sledging to open the batting for Rugby.

For Loig, without scratching the surface there are 12 Self Confessed Drug cheats, 5 current recreational drug charges pending, 2 past players targeted as key players in drug rings, illegal Steroid trading, Nightclub fights, Nightclub bites, Nightclub bubbling, Gallon's Texts, Street violence, Night club fights overseas, Domestic violence, Judicial Commissioners resigning, and Street urination to more than meet their ratio for negative news. It is a dot ball for rugby as opposed to a David Warner 6 over the grandstand and onto the car parked in the street opposite.

Little wonder the Loig Media is so busy.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For my various sins I was forced to watch the last part of the Souths v Bulldogs match yesterday.
It will be interesting to,see what the media make of the way the dogs players spoke to the red after the match deciding penalty.
Lots of 4 letter stuff directed straight at the official. I think there might have been 2 red cards in our game, as it was there was 1 binning.
Bottles were thrown by the crowd injuring an official and narrowly missing another.
I doubt the league media will see the connection between the vociferous and highly threatening abuse by the players and the acts of violence perpetrated by the crowd (including a king hit in the crowd leaving the ground) and the dissent shown on the field.
We are in a much better place on this.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Can you imagine how the media would have reacted if this abuse and violence happened at a Soccer game?

I started to copy and paste links to Bulldogs fans behaviour, but there are too many. Google Bulldogs fans riot or Bulldogs fans brawl. From 2001 to now the Bulldogs keep saying this is a small minority of fans, yeah, nah, sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.