• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
1. C Orr (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
2. F Fainga'a (NSW) - Big wraps from the NSW thread members and no other hookers really putting hands up
3. M Sandell (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
4. Ned Hanigan (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
5. Rhodda (QLD) - Big wraps from match reports
6. Korzyck (QLD) - Solid performer
7. B Wilkin (QLD) - Currently with the Aus 7's
8. L Faiksolea (QLD) - 2014 AUS squad member
9. M Short (NSW) - Wraps from threads
10. A Deegan (NSW) - Just missed 2014 sqaud
11. H Jones (NSW) - great finished
12. J Redden (NSW) - getting great wraps from reports
13. A Kellaway (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
14. C Quick (QLD) - 2014 AUS squad member
15. J Placid (BB) - 2014 AUS squad member

16. T Lomax (BB) - unsure of where to go here, and has been given a wrap
17. C McInnerney (BB) - unsure of where to go here, and has been given a wrap
18. A Pleash (QLD) - unsure of where to go here, and has been given a wrap
19. N Kellaway (NSW) - Locks are light on and he could cover lock and 6 at a pinch
20. S Croke (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
21. H Tuttle (QLD) - Injured by suspect would have been starting in QLD
22. D Pauipaa (QLD) - Current Reds squad
23. J Fittock (QLD) - Wraps from current tournament

If they took an additional 4 or 5 players as cover i think:
24. M Gunn (QLD) will likely take another 7 away
25. WA Lock (currently injured) - has got some big wraps on him
26. H Hutchison (NSW) - has wraps and another year in the system
27. Kotz (BB) - Has scored some wraps on him too
28. another prop?
So from the initial 28 man squad, i missed 8 of them. I think the starting side will be very similar to the above, with one of the NSW locks, most likely Williams starting alongside Hanigan. Tuttle would be the leading half option one would assume, given he is drafted into the team without playing the championships.

I will however throw in a smokey for the backline. Don't be stunned and shocked if the backline that plays in the oceania tournament has a centre pairing of Magnay and Kellaway with Hutchison on the flank! I have a feeling that the coaches will want to bring Kellaway in closer to the action, and use Magnay's size in the tight, as they did last year, opting for the two bigger centres over the super rugby contracted pair. Thompson has his style of play, and i expect this wont be any different.

On the bench i expect you will see Tui and Gunn riding the pine, with Dalgleish the most likely to take the outside back bench spot.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Pretty sure Connal McInerney played hooker School boys in 2013 and the scrum for the BaaBaas dished Qld up nicely Tyrell is a monster and moves well in the lose and the BaaBaas LH is in the shadow squad.

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
ive seen folau fainga'a play 1st grade colts 3 seasons in a row ,was always a thorn whenever we played against uni.. i think he came from a rugby league school a, uni had some good eyes and saw potential ..

magnay and kelleway in the centres would get you alot of yards, just hope that whoever plays centre can also be a ball player as well and help the 10

back 3 have some serious speed , just hope the ball gets out there to them .

cant wait for this ocenia tournay , love to beat the kiwis and the other team playing but most importantly put us i good stead for WC with couple of games under our belt .. this is the advantage the 6 nations teams have over southern hemisphere teams before

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
The squad looks very strong and with appropriate preparation may top the group. I will have a go at starting 15, mind you I may be biased as I come from the dark side!
However I would pick front rowers from NSW (and BBs on the bench)
1 Orr
2 Fainga
3 Sandel
In Locks, I am not certain who the 2nd should be but I would go with Winter and leave Lukhan on the bench. I believe one of the locks will be cut from the squad before WC.
4 Hanigan
5 Winter
Back 3 - I have no problems with 6 and 7 but No 8 could be an open contest. Lolo did not impress me at all during the Nationals, in fact he lost his temper again (see yellow card for shoulder charge in the final) and I would think twice before putting him on for the important games. Wilkin has played No 8 for Brisbane City and although he is natural 7 he may be an option. Kemp is another possibility. I suspect they will cut one of them before departure.
6 Korczyk
7 Gunn
8 Wilkin ?
Backs - Few options here with the likes of Dalgleish (at 10/15) and Paua'ia at 10. Quick if fit could be 14 which could see Kelleway moved to 13.
9 Tuttle
10 Deegan
11 Jones
12 Tuipolotu
13 Magnay
14 Kelleway
15 Placid

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
New Zealand squad named for Oceania Under 20 tournament

The New Zealand Under 20 coaches have selected a 31-strong squad for the Oceania Under 20 Championship in Australia next month.

The squad features seven players who played in last year’s Junior World Championship in Auckland, seven contracted Investec Super Rugby players and a strong rugby pedigree. One more player will be added to the squad before the team’s departure to the Gold Coast.

The squad is:

- Forwards
- Prop
Isi Tu’ungafasi - Auckland​
Tom Hill - Canterbury​
Atu Moli - Waikato​
Tau Koloamatangi - Waikato​

- Hooker
Liam Polwart - Auckland​
Ricky Riccitelli - Otago​
Leni Apisai - Wellington & Hurricanes​

- Lock
Mitchell Dunshea - Canterbury​
Hamish Dalzell - Canterbury​
Joshua Goodhue - Canterbury​
Geoffrey Cridge - Hawke's Bay & Hurricanes​
James Blackwell - Wellington​

- Loose Forwards
Mitchell Karpik - Auckland​
Blake Gibson - Auckland & Blues​
Dillon Hunt - Otago​
Mitchell Jacobson - Waikato​
Teariki Ben-Nicholas - Wellington​

- Backs

- Halfback
Harrison Levien - Waikato​
Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi - Taranaki​
- First Five
Otere Black - Manawatu & Hurricanes​
Mitchell Hunt - Auckland​
Fletcher Smith - Otago​
- Midfield
TJ Faiane - Auckland​
Jack Goodhue - Canterbury​
Anton Lienert-Brown - Waikato & Chiefs​
Wes Goosen - Wellington​
- Outside Backs
Vince Tavae-Aso - Auckland & Hurricanes​
George Bridge - Canterbury​
Luteru Laulala - Canterbury​
Tevita Li - North Harbour & Blues​
Jonathan Faauli - Canterbury​
Note: One player to be added​

Unavailable for tournament selection due to injury
Henry Stowers - Wellington​

Unavailable for selection for the Oceania tournament and Junior World Cup due to injury
Morgan Poi - Wellington​

Unavailable for tournament selection due to Investec Super Rugby duty
Nathaniel Apa - Crusaders​
Akira Ioane - Blues​
Damian McKenzie - Chiefs​

New Zealand Under 20 Head Coach Scott Robertson said the talent for this squad was very strong.

"We’ve got a good number of players who are ITM Cup experienced, including seven who are contracted to Super Rugby teams. We’re very fortunate that some of those players have been released from their Super Rugby duty for this tournament.

"The Oceania tournament provides much-needed preparation for this squad as we build towards the World Rugby Under 20 Championship in Italy in June.

. . . "This is a hugely important opportunity for us. We know that some other teams will head to Italy having already benefitted from playing in the Under 20 Six Nations competition," Robertson said.

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/26871335/nz-squad-named-for-oceania-u20-tournament/

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is a really good looking Kiwi squad, and the AUS v NZL match on the Gold Coast should be a cracker.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Very good blog by @LG on the front page, the most thorough look at the squad yet.

Regarding foxtel, i would assume they will cover it, as it should garner some support from the north given their sports coverage.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^
Thanks Hans - there is not a lot new that I haven't talked about here or others have - I probably stole some stuff. It's more for the general punter.

But somebody asked in "Discussion"what junior clubs the boys came from. If anybody knows the junior club of any boy selected, please put your comments in the discussion section - not in this thread, but here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/aussie-under-20-squad-chosen/

Thanks

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ That can be a bit of a loaded question. I'd like to think that the purpose is so someone can tell their 9 year old son who is running around for the North Jarse Bullfrogs Under 10's that "10 years ago there was a kid running around here on Gunston Oval for the North Jarse Bullfrogs just like you are now. That boy has just been selected for the Australian Under 20's. If you train hard, eat well, <insert Dads Joke advice like - pass your exams, clean your teeth twice daily, do your chores, listen to your mother etc>, keep fit and listen to your coaches, in 10 years time there is a chance that you may do the same."

Call me cynical (or a realist) but too often a question like that is a starter for 10 points with a pre-prepared rant to follow on along the lines of here is more evidence that "Wealthy" clubs have poached all our talent, and there should be 5 North Jarse Bullfrogs in the list rather than 3 from "Really Wealthy" club, and two from "Rich" Club.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Is Adrian punting on the fact that Matt Sandell could play hooker at a pinch? Last year all 3 hookers were pushed to the nth degree.
And I beg to differ with LHP. Aaron Pleash will be the starter. As mobile as Sandell, and a very good scrummager, good hands with the ability to pass both ways. I just hope that the 20's have the hooker to last the tournament

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
Is Adrian punting on the fact that Matt Sandell could play hooker at a pinch? Last year all 3 hookers were pushed to the nth degree.
And I beg to differ with LHP. Aaron Pleash will be the starter. As mobile as Sandell, and a very good scrummager, good hands with the ability to pass both ways. I just hope that the 20's have the hooker to last the tournament

maybe , i hope Fainga'a and mcinnery will last through to the end of the tournament, the turn around between games in terms of recovery favour more the backs one would think,and as theres only 2 hookers they both will have to suit up every game, as you say sandall could be another option, but i think thats obviously a last min scenario.. as for pleash hes a great player not sure about a starter , but we will se after this oceania tournay between him and sandell

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Pleash will start ahead of Orr?

You could be right.

I haven't seen Pleash since his school days; so I can't judge him, but Orr was the backup to O'Connor last year in the U20s and Pleash wasn't even in the squad (maybe he was injured, I forget). And the NSW scrum wasn't bettered in the Canberra tournament from what I heard.

There is no doubt that Pleash and Sa'aga are better than Orr around the park - they always have been - but I hope that Thompson chooses his LHP for big games based firstly on his scrummaging, secondly on his tight work, and thirdly on anything else.

Anything else should include who is captain - whether Pleash or Sa'aga is captain should not enter into the matter. Rather - put that fourth.

Too often we have seen squad and matchday selections for props and hookers based on the wrong criteria; sometimes that is why we get bashed up either physically, or technically, or both. Last year we started out with three hookers and only one could throw straight. Before 2014 we had some years when we had too many props who could get around the park but couldn't scrummage well.

The mix of three LHPs and two THPs was odd, especially as Sandell (one of the two THPs) is small to wear the 3 jersey. It would have made more sense if Sandell was one of three LHPs picked (he can play on both sides, as you know) especially as F. Sa'aga never seemed to make the starting Barbarians' side in the competition games.

Then Sandell could be the designated third hooker and there would be two LHPs and two THPs besides him.

You can only conclude that the stable of THPs on show in Canberra did not impress the selectors.

If Sandell is the designated third hooker then one of the two big LHPs, Sa'aga or Orr :) , may have to play THP at some stage, but I can't remember that they ever played there.

The front row squad selections were not well-balanced but to be fair it is always easier in Australia to pick good LHPs than it is to pick good THPs - and not just at the junior level.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
. as for pleash hes a great player not sure about a starter , but we will se after this oceania tournay between him and sandell

It won't be between Pleash and Sandell for the starting LHP spot; it will be between Pleash, Orr and F. Sa'aga - although Sa'aga didn't start for the Barbarians in the competition games; so he probably won't be a front-runner.

Orr was the LHP for NSW; Sandell was the THP for NSW, though he can play on both sides of the scrum, and hooker at a stretch.

PS - did anybody see Orr playing THP in Colts last year?

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
The squad looks very strong and with appropriate preparation may top the group. I will have a go at starting 15, mind you I may be biased as I come from the dark side!
However I would pick front rowers from NSW (and BBs on the bench)
1 Orr
2 Fainga
3 Sandel
In Locks, I am not certain who the 2nd should be but I would go with Winter and leave Lukhan on the bench. I believe one of the locks will be cut from the squad before WC.
4 Hanigan
5 Winter
Back 3 - I have no problems with 6 and 7 but No 8 could be an open contest. Lolo did not impress me at all during the Nationals, in fact he lost his temper again (see yellow card for shoulder charge in the final) and I would think twice before putting him on for the important games. Wilkin has played No 8 for Brisbane City and although he is natural 7 he may be an option. Kemp is another possibility. I suspect they will cut one of them before departure.
6 Korczyk
7 Gunn
8 Wilkin ?
Backs - Few options here with the likes of Dalgleish (at 10/15) and Paua'ia at 10. Quick if fit could be 14 which could see Kelleway moved to 13.
9 Tuttle
10 Deegan
11 Jones
12 Tuipolotu
13 Magnay
14 Kelleway
15 Placid

do you think they could either play wilkin , gunn and lolo together .. wilkin or lolo at 8 or 6? i would rather have all 3 then one of them on the bench, but if lolo isnt pulling his weight then obviously you have to fig in kamp, but i think the aussie coaches need a good talk with lolo and tell him they need the physical player that he is .. and then i would rather have gunn and wilkin in the backrow as well , maybe wilkin can play 6 or lolo can play 6 and he play 8

Status
Not open for further replies.