• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm bored :D

In my opinion (and please, no offence, just a bit of banter)

Ugly strip ratings:

1. Wests - sorry - maybe the colours are ok, but the squares is so 80s
2. Sunnybank - a bit too much green for my liking
3. GPS - green and blue :D - seems to be a green theme here??
4. Bond - not a good combination of colours
5. Souths - Gone almost all black - but the red numbers need a solid white outline
6. Brothers - nice with the white shorts. Always looks so crisp and clean.
7. Uni - Prems with white shorts. Solid colours, basic. Effective.
8. Easts - Prems strip with the white shorts. Looks snazzy. Good combo.
9. Norths - of course I will say this. So happy we have gone back to our traditional colours. Nice basic plain colours, and the sky blue really makes my eyes pop.....

:D:D:D

T

Tigers Tale

TGB - this is clearly a personal preference type of thing.

Love that Norths, Uni, GPS & Brothers all have traditional jerseys that they would have worn in the 70s/80s but I can't agree with your comment about Brothers white shorts which they wear for away games I can't get use to them in anything other than their traditional blue shorts.

Wests changed to the harlequin style in the early/mid 80s they use to wear an all dark green jersey with yellow trimmings.

Souths traditionally worn a black and white hoops number and then in the 80s moved to all white with black trimmings. I think the Souths outfit needs more white as a contrast.

Easts up until the late 80s/early 90s worn an orange jersey with blue trimmings then they changed to a predominantly royal blue with thin gold stripes which they wore until the early naughties ('00s), they wore a special order harlequin number in the '97 GF before moving to their current strip about 10 years ago.

Footage of 1976 GF Teachers-Norths v GPS

This year's clobber

images

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
TGB, I like it. A break in the round, so we can debate more 'trivial' matters!

For me (like TGB, no offence to anyone, only my uneducated peanut opinion)

1. Bond - Navy, Orange, Lime Green, Yellow. Don't really need to say much more. Now that they Bond, not Gold Coast, they could drop, or re-do the colours
2. Sunnybank - all Lime Green, agree with you TGB, not a great look
3. Souths - All black with a Red number, not their greatest jersey. I actually wish they went back to the old black and white hoops, 90's style!!
4. Norths - Sorry TGB. I like it a lot more than the old strip, but I think UQ get the colours the right way around
5. Wests - The Harlequins are great. No one else does that anymore, and it is a great link back to their old 80's strip
** I went to watch them last year on ladies day, and the Wests ladies day strip though is Horrible! Pink and White Harlequins with Green shorts and socks.
6. GPS. Good design, never changed.
7. UQ - As above
8. Easts - Great colours, and a good design.
9. Brothers - The white shorts this year I think look really god.

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
A great topic!

Brothers and Sydney University are the only two rugby clubs in Australia that haven't changed their strip in 100 years. Brothers originally had regular blue and white stripes in 1905. However, in 1906 the Scottish supplier sent over irregular hoops. Brothers have worn those hoops ever since. The blue and white colours were those worn by Gregory Terrace and Nudgee College prior to the 'battle for the colours'. Where Terrace went to red and black - the antithesis of the blue and white - which explains the great rivalry between the respective schools.

I believe Sydney University are the only other club which has had 100+ years of thin blue and gold stripes (very similar to Marist College Ashgrove).

University wore a full claret jersey with a sky blue V for many years.

The Tigers wore gold jerseys, blue shorts, and blue and gold hooped socks.

The Magpies have had many jersey combinations: Black and White regular stripes; a black jersey with a white V; a fully white jersey in the 1980s; and a harlequins inspired strip in the early 2000s.

GPS originally had the colours of Grammar. Oxford Blue and Cambridge Blue. However, later on, they decided to wear the colours of the Greater Public Schools Rowing Club (I believe, I might not be correct.) This is when they entered the competition as 'Greater Public Schools Old Boys' in 1931.

Wests were originally blue, red and white. However, they didn't like the fact that Brothers donned those colours, so they selected the colours of the Toowong Rugby Club when both those clubs merged.

Just quickly, Brothers actually wore white pants when playing against Souths at Ballymore in the 1970s. The TV camera couldn't distinguish between both clubs, so the Brethren elected to wear white shorts, whilst Souths wore black.

I apologise if some of the facts are wrong, it's just off the top of my head.

T

Tigers Tale

Very impressive Stumpy - great to see someone else retain great rugby trivia - it just adds to the "fabric" of the game - pardon them pun but I just wanted to join this "thread"!!

As for the Sydney Uni jersey - image below - in the 2009 Aust Club Championship Easts agreed to wear an alternate strip (V style) - also below - but in 2014 when both clubs played for the ACC @ Bottomley Sydney Uni refused to wear an alternate strip, but the different jersey style and different shorts colour seemed to work on the day - it was only the result which was disappointing that day.

images

images

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Tigers Tale.

I doubt Brothers will ever change their jersey. Which is understandable, given its significance. Randwick are another club with a distinct uniform - full myrtle green. Randwick added horizontal stripes along the sleeves and shoulders of the jersey in the 1970/1980s, similar to the Wallabies. However, Randwick at one stage wore purple.

Brothers published a book a few years ago written by Jim Tucker which unearthed some great history on Brothers & Brisbane Rugby - credit to our club historian (the Flying Friar as he is better known) for the research that went into it, it is a great read.

Tigers Tale, you'll find that respective BRL and QPR teams share very similar attire. Brothers Rugby League formed in 1929 from Brothers Rugby Union (which played Rugby League at that stage, but decided to go back to union). Both clubs wore identical playing gear.

Easts Rugby Union share the colour gold with Easts Rugby League. Perhaps the blue incorporated by the union club, instead of black, is due to the State High connection?

Sydney University played against Newington in a parody game before a Bledisloe Cup match which commemorated 150 years for 'The Students' back in 2013.

The second oldest rugby club in the world is Christchurch Rugby Club which formed in early 1863. A club which shares a long playing history with Brothers.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Does anyone else remember the awful purple and yellow Norths jersey? And am I crazy, or during that time were they called the Barbarians?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Might bring it back for Heritage round one year haha.
I wasn't at the club then, but
I think it has something to do with an amalgamation with Redcliffe I think?? Not sure.

Sent from my mind......

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Might bring it back for Heritage round one year haha.
I wasn't at the club then, but
I think it has something to do with an amalgamation with Redcliffe I think?? Not sure.

Sent from my mind..

Yeah, it was the blue of Norths mixed with the red of Redcliffe to make purple. The yellow came from the ComBank rugby club who merged with Teachers-Norths at some point.

T

Tigers Tale

5 more sleeps until Easts v Souths, these games have always been close over the last 5 years despite where the teams have been on the table and Saturday's clash will be no different.

Where will favouritism lie for this one? - with Souths coming off a last start big win v GPS they would have to be favourites surely.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Wests - sorry - maybe the colours are ok, but the squares is so 80s
:D:D:D

Ok so we may have the ugliest uniforms in the comp but i can tell you of 2 occasions where this is what is best for the club.

Our 2006 Championship winning Green and Gold hoops has caused confusion in some games against Tigers who have also had Gold and Blue hoops in the same season, this game was extremely frustrating to watch players pass to the opposition.

The next colour combo we went with was the all green jerseys. this posed for another similar confusing match where one day out at Oldmac a similar shade of Sunnybank Green had them changing uniforms at half time to an all black kit. (th

Honestly.. I would love to see Premier Grade rugby have a set of home and away jerseys for Premier team so that confusing scenarios of jersey similarity doesn't happen.

Until the QRU is willing to incorporate this.. Harlequins it is!!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers take on Norths this weekend. I would regard it as being a must win for the Brethren. Norths can be a difficult opposition when they want to be.

T

Tigers Tale

We have a bit of an irrational hatred that is bred into us when we're young. I just hate Brothers. No reason for it.

Paty it's pretty universal - same goes for the young tigers, bulldogs & magpies I would presume but the local derby aspect must add to the flavour of the Norths v Bros clashes.

Come on Eagles!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.