• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drugs in sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I get where you're coming from & maybe Hird & the players should've had the right to silence. But they didn't, in fact they expressly gave it up so can't now claim its protection IMO.

and that's precisely why I said: "It appears that not enough was done to quarantine the material obtained under coercion by the AFL from ASADA."
They did not expressly give it up they merely failed to object.
The interaction between the right to silence and the coercive power of a sport's governing body, where the latter has involved ASADA, is ripe for consideration at the highest judicial level: it may not get there on the facts of this case.
It is a minefield for sportsmen.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here's the way I see it:

1. Hird & the players gave up their right to silence when they signed their AFL contracts.

2. The ASADA Act required the AFL to share the results of any investigation with ASADA & AFL were within their rights to have ASADA present at their hearings.

3. Hird & the players were represented at the hearings & made no objection.

We can argue about the rights & wrongs of the law but IMO the law was followed & whereas not all laws are necessarily good laws, this one, again IMO, very much is.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Operation Cobra (the investigation behind the Blackest Day in Australian Sport) is set to strike on 31 March for the Essenden "supplements" programme.

Initiated by ASADA well before the day that became dubbed "the blackest day in Australian sport", Operation Cobia sought to investigate potential anti-doping rule violations by NRL footballers and support personnel that the anti-doping agency suspected had occurred from 2010 onwards. Early work on Operation Cobia also unearthed evidence that AFL players and AFL support persons may also be involved in prohibited drugs.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...-handed-down-on-march-31-20150313-14318x.html

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Rumors are that a St. Kilda player and a Carlton player will join Lachlan Keefe and Josh Thomas in being suspended for clenbuterol. Used to cut cocaine. All Queenslanders involved.

ASADA making an announcement re: Appeal tomorrow at 11am. Because it's been ruled on insufficient evidence deal, it might have to go international very quickly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So what did the 50 Shades of Blackness in Sport actually achieve?
  • Huge Govt funding increase for ASADA
  • One loig kid done for peddling steroids to a couple of his mates
  • A Dozen or so Sharks bullied into confessing to be drug cheats in order to be lashed by a soggy lettuce leaf
  • James Hurd banned from coaching
  • Stephen Danks name besmirched but not charged with anything
  • A dozen or so social soccer players in Melbourne found out to be making a quid thanks to Asian betting syndicates
Did I miss anything?

I am considering KHunt and friends little adventures as wins for Campbell Newman's Crime Commission, not ASADA.

Despite all the political grandstanding and increased public awareness of the consequences of taking PED and the ever present ASADA boogie man, AFL Dropkicks are still taking PED. How dumb are they?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What's most laughable about this whole affair is that the AFL have often presented this holier than thou attitude about a bunch of different things over the years and yet their house is clearly nowhere near in order. Their three strikes drugs policy is pretty ludicrous IMHO.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
ASADA can still appeal the AFL Tribunal decision. But it is a shambles.

To me all sports need to get a clear, across all the codes definition of what is in and what is out, what penalties there will be.

There maybe 4 groups here
1. legal recreational -- beer etc
2.illegal recreational -- cocaine etc
3. illegal performance ehnancing -- steroids etc
4. legal but performance ehancing -- pain killer, caffine

If the government wants some order it is easy. No funding till you comply.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The outcome makes the whole thing look ridiculous.

The only thing that somewhat reconciles against that is that professional sporting teams were treating their players like guinea pigs and injecting them with unknown drugs with no clinical history.

That needed to be stopped. It probably didn't need nearly as much fanfare.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As someone I know said today, the Collingwood blokes will probably get off and probably Ryan Crowley too. The whole setup is ludicrous.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Struggle to see how this is not defamatory:
"Asked about his confidence that Essendon players received banned drugs, in light of a unanimous not-guilty verdict from a three-member tribunal, McDevitt said on Wednesday: "I still believe that's the case."

My understanding is that ASADA could not prove that the substance was the banned version of the particular peptide because of the way it was labelled and invoiced.
Some very shoddy work and loose thinking if that is the case: proving what they took, in the absence of positive test, would seem moderately fundamental to conducting the blackest day in Australian sport.
Also makes me wonder how much those who determined that a breach had been committed know about the things they are supposed to be stopping players from using.
And where are the grandstanding politicians now?

Status
Not open for further replies.