• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
1995 was the freak year for Knox, with 5 players in the NSW 1sts, and 3 in the 2nds. They famously beat Barker 62 - 0.

My memory is failing me. Gosh 20 years ago. I saw that side play a few games. They were quite impressive. Unless my memory is failing again.

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
Dr Paterson (AM) was so proud of his team he paraded a video of their deeds around all the school reunions that year

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
The results of the tour is not important but it is good to get the wins. I do wish the boys had played some slightly harder competition and I think they were advised by their tour guide company to which schools to play.

The most important thing about to tour is to build some belief, confidence and some camaraderie among the group and just to get a hit-out on the field with some big NZ boppa's (regardless of Maori descent or not) will give them some experience heading into the season. Cant wait for round one, bring on the CAS! 15 sleeps and counting.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Trinity were very physical and somewhat bigger than Grammar but they lacked some finesse.
Grammar had better patterns and stuck to them.
Trinity's strength was their physicality but they will need to watch the height of their tackles and the use of the arms: maybe a few league boys in the team?

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Trinity were very physical and somewhat bigger than Grammar but they lacked some finesse.
Trinity's strength was their physicality but they will need to watch the height of their tackles and the use of the arms: maybe a few league boys in the team?

Fitness? Backline play execution?

blindsideflanker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trinity were awful and if they play like that when the competition starts they are gonna get their arse smacked. They had a few players playing out of position and they probably didn't take the game as serious but really no excuse, Sydney Grammar were more committed and deserved the win

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There is no fixture list for 2015 on the CAS site as I write this, but I understand that the CAS fixtures will be in reverse order from what they were last year.

In other words: the five games of first half of the 2015 season will be played in the same order and at the same ground as the five in the second half of the 2014 season—and yarda, yarda.

Is that correct?

And, if so, on what day does the CAS competition start?

Or - better still - does anybody know of a link that lists all the 2015 CAS fixtures?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Fitness? Backline play execution?
Well blindside flanker may disagree but I thought trinity were a little better with the ball in their backs than grammar but there's no subtlety to what they are trying to do. They have some solid sized princesses so they may not need subtlety.
Grammars backs were a highly experimental combination and the accuracy of their passing left quite a bit to be desired. No real pace in the outside backs prevented anything coming from half breaks.
Fitness did not seem to be an issue for either side.

S

sidelineview

There is no fixture list for 2015 on the CAS site as I write this, but I understand that the CAS fixtures will be in reverse order from what they were last year.

In other words: the five games of first half of the 2015 season will be played in the same order and at the same ground as the five in the second half of the 2014 season—and yarda, yarda.

Is that correct?

And, if so, on what day does the CAS competition start?

Or - better still - does anybody know of a link that lists all the 2015 CAS fixtures?

Can we assume the comp starts on 2nd May?

Cranbrook vs Alos; Knox vs Barker; Waves vs Trinity (same games as last season but with home games swapped around as per 2013 draw)

M

M squad 2015

Any updates as to how the other schools on tour have gone other than the waves?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Knox 27 St Pats 5. Five tries to one. In ways a lackluster game, but both sides would have appreciated the workout in the warm conditions. Knox string in defence but their attack didn't gel, as if they were trying too hard, over complicated things and lacked precision/finish. Would be happy with their defence and that they strangled St Pats out of the game.
St Pats tried hard and were willing opponents. They definitely should be pleased with their effort despite the result.

Mr Goyu Goodthing

Frank Nicholson (4)
Knox Vs St Pats was a surprising game. St Pats put up quite a good fight and I thought Knox would have been much better. They will need improvement or changes to win the CAS based on that performance.
Knox 16A beat St Pats about 80-0 in a strong performance all-round.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Knox Vs St Pats was a surprising game. St Pats put up quite a good fight and I thought Knox would have been much better. They will need improvement or changes to win the CAS based on that performance.
Knox 16A beat St Pats about 80-0 in a strong performance all-round.

Yes, Knox were a little underwhelming, though in saying that it may be possible we are underestimating St Pats. The scoreline could have and should've been bigger towards Knox, but they showed a lack of clinical finishing that would worry the coaching staff at Knox. But their defence was good, a definite improvement on what I have seen earlier.

Their attack is problematic - too one man out, trying too hard, over complicating things and I sense a distinct lack of pace in this side (except for the winger Stenning?). But most of those can be corrected - this side is probably still a work in progress. And I think some of two of their big name (and just big) forwards were out.

One issue Knox seemed to have is that their backs often received the ball flat-footed. They did look much better when running onto it.

St Pats may not compete totally with St Augustines and Oakhill, but they will compete. They showed Knox that simple is effective with their try - good and quick ball movement along the back line. They were willing and competed all the way. They may be just missing one or two super star players to bring the side to the next level. But they if put on a good show for which they can be proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.