• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Continuing on with my 'master the fucking Weber' theme...

Tried my hand at slow cooked lamb shanks last week. Coated in a yoghurt/garlic/rosemary/spice rub mix and left to percolate overnight.

Cooked them at a lowwww temperature (approx 110 degrees) for a few hours before shredding the meat and serving in souvlakis.

A couple of lessons learned - the shank is a fairly lean cut and doesn't respond well to losing its moisture. While the result was tasty, it wasn't the gelatinous goop that I was hoping for.

I smoked a whole snapper for the GF which was a great success.

Father's Day will involve a smoked/seared porterhouse redux, and a shot at some smoked 'American style' spare ribs. Cue: meat sweats.

Attachments

• IMAG0693[1].jpg
    IMAG0693[1].jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 447

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Continuing on with my 'master the fucking Weber' theme.

Tried my hand at slow cooked lamb shanks last week. Coated in a yoghurt/garlic/rosemary/spice rub mix and left to percolate overnight.

Cooked them at a lowwww temperature (approx 110 degrees) for a few hours before shredding the meat and serving in souvlakis.

A couple of lessons learned - the shank is a fairly lean cut and doesn't respond well to losing its moisture. While the result was tasty, it wasn't the gelatinous goop that I was hoping for.

I smoked a whole snapper for the GF which was a great success.

Father's Day will involve a smoked/seared porterhouse redux, and a shot at some smoked 'American style' spare ribs. Cue: meat sweats.

*drool*

Is my invite safely in the mail?

your dog looks worried it may be the next thing basted in smelly yogurt and put in the webber.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That there is a puppy mastering the art of looking aloof despite being torn with desire for raw flesh.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
That there is a puppy mastering the art of looking aloof despite being torn with desire for raw flesh.

Ah yes, I have plenty of experience with my animal and contempt for my presence. See exhibit A yesterday.

epevadu9.jpg

I think she really wanted some winter sun on her back, but really she was really wondering what the hell I was doing home all day yesterday.

She's also quite the grump when you decide to sit down after a long day; for some reason she wants to occupy the exact same space as I occupy. The argent we have....*sigh*

Should start a dog thread.

At least my Fish don't give me this grief.

Reactions: Tex

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I found some Ina Paarman's Braai & Grill Seasoning at the supermarket today.

DSC_0009__44966_std.JPG

Two questions for Oom @PaarlBok.

1. Is this seasoning any good ?

2. It is called Braai and Grill seasoning. What is the difference between a Braai and a Grill in SAF? Is a "Braai" a BBQ where you cook using wood or charcoal, and a "Grill" similar on a BBQ that is powered by Gas or electricity?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slightly off-topic but any carnivore visiting Brisbane has gotta check out one or both of these joints:

http://navala.com.au

Massive slabs of meat cooked over an open fire & using all sorts of tasty spices.........

http://ribsandrumps.com

Exactly what the name implies. If you can handle it there's a platter of lamb ribs inside pork ribs inside beef ribs & the steaks are huge & tasty..........

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I found some Ina Paarman's Braai & Grill Seasoning at the supermarket today.

DSC_0009__44966_std.JPG

Two questions for Oom @PaarlBok.

1. Is this seasoning any good ?

2. It is called Braai and Grill seasoning. What is the difference between a Braai and a Grill in SAF? Is a "Braai" a BBQ where you cook using wood or charcoal, and a "Grill" similar on a BBQ that is powered by Gas or electricity?
Braai is wood/coals on a grill.

Ina Paarmans products are high quality, her salad dressings is awesome.

20131208_130645_zps58efde5c.jpg

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Have done a real 180 on BBQ'ing recently.

All of the big gas BBQ's are either the price of a new kitchen or cheap junk. Nothing well priced in the middle. So we have been using a Weber Q for a year which I've come to the conclusion are the biggest myth since a certain kiwi prop. Especially useless for breakfast as you can't do Bacon and Eggs without buying another $100 plate that then doesn't fit enough to feed a family of 4.

So I hunted down one of these. We had a family picnic down south at Easter and they had these in one of the parks. They are made by the local prisoners and they sell them from the prison.

Had my first go last night. They have really put some thought into them. Plate is perfect thickness. Heats up in under an hour but are thick enough to maintain the temp when the meat is added. I did wonder if the small holes on the outside would allow it to draw properly, but it goes like a charm. Will still keep the Weber for when I don't have time, but standing around a fire cooking meat is for some reason quite life affirming.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
My family gave me a lesson in American style BBQ smoking which went down last night.

There were some obvious limitations with practical work as the meats (baby back ribs, pulled pork neck and brisket) went on at 9am, but it was pretty informative and I learned some new tips.

http://bbqschool.com.au/ is the website and I believe they run classes across Australia.

0b2476c4e0524cd12d484919a6abb091.jpg

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Baldric, the bloke running the course had some good suggestions for sourcing quality brisket.

Chinese/Vietnamese and Kosher butchers. Brisket is regularly used in those cuisines. Look for fresh and/or cryovac'd cuts. If the cut is flexible and with good colour, this usually indicates freshness. I've previously bought mine from the local butcher, however they asked for a few days warning.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Thanks Tex, its not something you see much of in the butcher. I want to put one in the sous vide for a few days then finish on the bbq with some smoke.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'd love to see some photos. How big is the sous vide setup? The full brisket is MASSIVE - I could barely fit it in the Weber! A wonderful cut of meat when cooked slowly. The one in the above photo was out of this world!