• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't think Michael will be losing sleep about David tonight..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So one played in the rain wet with half his side out, and still really good, the other played in an open attacking game with his big boppers going forward and also did good. Pretty hard to compare the games really.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

The challenge for Pocock is to become more useful in a game that doesn't involve his side being under huge pressure for much of the game.

Likewise, Michael Hooper looks his best when his team has a lot of possession and he can run with the ball, link with the backs and generally create havoc. He needs to work on other the side of his game so that he is more effective when his team is under immense pressure and having to defend a lot.

Well put

Hooper's strengths fit the Tahs - ball running in attack, line speed in defence to force turn overs.

From what we've seen of Chiek with the Wallabies their base plan will be that of the Tahs. Expect Hooper to start and Pocock to cameo.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Not disagreeing with your observations BH but the Tahs' game against the Stormers is a great example of the team with a considerable advantage in possession noit taking asay the win. Would it have been a different result if Poey had played in place of Hooper. No one can say of course, but MH's style of play didn't turn the result around for the Tahs.

And the logic of a defensive player making a better impact when it was the Tahs attack (with plenty of pill) not working is.................

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'll concede that it's not fair to compare performances from different games under different game conditions. However, my point was that Hooper had a blinder and Poey didn't match it. Looking at the bigger picture, when it comes to Wallaby selections for Pocock to unseat Hooper either he will have to have been playing exceptionally well and/or Hooper poorly.

It could happen, no dispute from me, and what will be will be. I concur this is essentially a dud argument and will duly step aside from it.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'll concede that it's not fair to compare performances from different games under different game conditions. However, my point was that Hooper had a blinder and Poey didn't match it. Looking at the bigger picture, when it comes to Wallaby selections for Pocock to unseat Hooper either he will have to have been playing exceptionally well and/or Hooper poorly.

It could happen, no dispute from me, and what will be will be. I concur this is essentially a dud argument and will duly step aside from it.
I think I just link seeing people's thoughts on how each played every weekend. I personally didn't think Hooper was great in the first half of that Tah's game but he didn't have too. Palu and Skelton where making all the yards so no need for Hooper, he wasn't playing badly, but blinder, I wouldn't say so. I missed the second half.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Hooper gets my vote this week. Pocock was good but didn't match Hoopers impact.

nathan

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm glad that the ARU finally decided to intervene on the 39+ pages of crap in this thread, introduce a new rule for overseas players and settle the argument.

George Smith it is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how many injuries there would need to be amongst the key backrowers before Smith came under serious consideration?

My guess is at least two out of Hooper, Pocock and Gill.

I don't think Cheika would underestimate how long two years can be when players are over 30 as well as the fact that Smith has regularly been playing number 8 rather than openside for the wooden spooners in the Top 14.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I wonder how many injuries there would need to be amongst the key backrowers before Smith came under serious consideration?

I don't think Cheika would underestimate how long two years can be when players are over 30 as well as the fact that Smith has regularly been playing number 8 rather than openside for the wooden spooners in the Top 14.
You know what I'd be surprised if he even put his name forward.
He didn't come back last time to play for the Wallabies but his form almost demanded it.
I don't think he has anything else to prove, but we can all have the fond memories and wish to see him run around again.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Hooper, Gill, Pocock, Hodgson and then there's still McMahon.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great piece by Paul Cully. Completely agree with him.

There is a Wallaby who, in his three most recent years of Tests, played 31 and won more than two out of every three.

In the 29 Tests the Wallabies have played in his absence, that winning percentage fell off a cliff. The Wallabies lost more than half.

The player is David Pocock, not Matt Giteau, and the years in question are 2010-2012 – before Pocock's knee reconstructions – and 2013 to date.

The change in the ARU policy to select Giteau at the World Cup is smart, and has been welcomed with a degree of anxiety in Europe. That in itself is a little victory. But if the Wallabies really want to make Wales coach Warren Gatland and English counterpart Stuart Lancaster nervous, they'll pick Pocock at No. 7, even though it means removing the current Wallabies captain Michael Hooper. It is a hard call but to shirk it is to underestimate just what an influence the Brumby can have on a game

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-uni...-7-to-worry-europe-20150423-1mr6x9.touch.html

Status
Not open for further replies.