• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Rebels, Round 10 @ GIO stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well done Rebels. Better team all night.

Very disappointed with the way the Brumbies played, not so much the result. Was that the game plan Bernie? Dowsett to box kick almost every time he got the ball in his hands? One or two chasers but no-one contesting the ball?

Christian to kick the ball every time Dowsett didn't? How about just trying to play ball in hand, regardless of conditions, and really have a go at scoring some tries?

Please take note of the way every NZ team exits their red zone. The match today between the Highlanders and Blues was a perfect example. Neither side kicked for touch as the go to plan. Much more likely to gain good territory even though the opposition will mostly come away with the ball. But they do that anyway with most teams able to win their lineout but with usually more than an extra 20m terroty gained.

Also, teach Poey to stay bound to the advancing maul until he is practically over the line. Leaving two metres short where a defender is allowed to come from offside to make the tackle is just mind boggling.

One more point that was also eveident with the Vikings in the NRC. On defensive scrums and mauls, it isn't a good idea to try to push the opposition back if it just exposes the side of the structure for the half back to run into clear space. A couple of examples of that happening tonight when Stirzaker made huge amounts of ground after the Brumbies had the Rebels' scrum moving backwards. It's my opinion that that is the way the set piece is being coached as the same thing happened on quite a few occasions in the NRC under the same coach.

Don't think we'll see JP Smith starting again. Only mystified about how long he was allowed to stay on the ground.

Would rather see Nic White out there even if he is carrying a foot injury. Maybe the ansewr for next year is Frisby?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Very disappointed with the way the Brumbies played, not so much the result. Was that the game plan Bernie? Dowsett to box kick almost every time he got the ball in his hands? One or two chasers but no-one contesting the ball?

Christian to kick the ball every time Dowsett didn't? How about just trying to play ball in hand, regardless of conditions, and really have a go at scoring some tries?

Please take note of the way every NZ team exits their red zone. The match today between the Highlanders and Blues was a perfect example. Neither side kicked for touch as the go to plan. Much more likely to gain good territory even though the opposition will mostly come away with the ball. But they do that anyway with most teams able to win their lineout but with usually more than an extra 20m terroty gained.

Also, teach Poey to stay bound to the advancing maul until he is practically over the line. Leaving two metres short where a defender is allowed to come from offside to make the tackle is just mind boggling.

One more point that was also eveident with the Vikings in the NRC. On defensive scrums and mauls, it isn't a good idea to try to push the opposition back if it just exposes the side of the structure for the half back to run into clear space. A couple of examples of that happening tonight when Stirzaker made huge amounts of ground after the Brumbies had the Rebels' scrum moving backwards. It's my opinion that that is the way the set piece is being coached as the same thing happened on quite a few occasions in the NRC under the same coach.

Don't think we'll see JP Smith starting again. Only mystified about how long he was allowed to stay on the ground.

Would rather see Nic White out there even if he is carrying a foot injury. Maybe the ansewr for next year is Frisby?
Generous and astute observations. Well played, sir.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Get him fit and in gold

He only played 3 minutes? I dont recall a kick attempt

That box kick with minutes remaining that put his team under pressure was poor.

Whilst it was a scrappy sort of game, it wasn't a bad watch given the closeness in score.

I thought when C. Finger got that breakdown turnover, that gave the Rebs a real lift.

D

daz

Sorry lads. Analysis later, beers now. What a game to travel up for, the Rebs and fans are having a rave at the ground post match! Love this team! Whoop!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Allan Ala'alatoa to start at LHP next game, he seem to handle it well when he came on. Good win Rebels well done.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Have only watched the first Half but Agree with most of that.
I actually thought Dowsett had a pretty good first half but I would put stirzakers try down to him not going back behind their dominant scrum and trying to cover the open side runner rather than his opposite number.
Maybe I just preferred Dowsetts failure to chip the ref at every opportunity.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I heard Bernie call the higginbotham tackle illegal but I thought it was ok. The player was unbound.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
IIRC he was actually unbound for a few steps before he detatched as well. Holding your teamates jersey with your hand isn't bound, your whole arm needs to be around him.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
That box kick with minutes remaining that put his team under pressure was poor.

Whilst it was a scrappy sort of game, it wasn't a bad watch given the closeness in score.

I thought when C. Finger got that breakdown turnover, that gave the Rebs a real lift.

Which one? There were two that earned at lease one penalty, the other was a turnover deep in the 22. The Penalty one probabyl resulted in a few extra dints in my coffee table. Worth it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I heard Bernie call the higginbotham tackle illegal but I thought it was ok. The player was unbound.

As I posted above, Poey needs to learn to stay bound until he can just flop over the line. Butler is much more effective at the back of the maul, but he was off by this time. However, at the time (and I haven't watched a replay) I thought Higgers was well off side - he came around the maul which was still formed and going forward, and tackled Pocock from behind the back of the maul. Poey was unbound when tackled, but imo Higgers should have been penalised for off side before the tackle was even made. Should have been advantage then and maybe penalty try after the tackle.

We (all supporters) are really being let down week after week by very poor refereeing in general, and every game will turn up a couple of incidents where there seems to be an absolute error by the officials. TMO is not adding much to the equation either.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i also thought Higgers was off side but glad he wasn't pinged, perhaps made up for the cluster fuck of no advantage after the late tackle on Naivalu, 3 m attacking line out vs 40 m kick at goal. on second thoughts Leafa probably wouldn't have thrown straight anyway

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Your comments are spot on, especially about the game plan, or lack of one. The kicking is just out of control. Its become predictable and teams know that the Brumbies will kick rather than run from the back, a counter attack is a one in a million thing, and if it happens its not a "team" move, its an individual so it usually ends up with a player isolated and turned over. The kicking is adding self inflicted pressure by increasing to the lack of possession.

That mindset of the team is now an big part of the problem! You can see how they are being out paced and played by other teams.

IMHO the need to realise that team don't fear them even with a full compliment of Wallabies in the back-line. They don't attack (or counter attack) from everywhere like the NZ teams. The forwards are pedestrian and have no speed or momentum in the pick and drive situation or in close which is increasing the hits they are taking as it is letting the defence get set. Watch the Tahs or the Stormers forward at work and the defence is also scrambling back and on the back-foot trying to get reset due to the sustained momentum of the non-stop forwards picking and driving etc. Rebels had so much time last night to deal with our slow forward play.

Agree about the scrums - good to have a strong scrum but if it give you nothing but an ego boost what is the point? Its not scoring us points!

I have heard the banter recently about focusing on making better decisions, and choosing when to attacking etc. Its almost at the point where they are stuck trying to decide and control game and wait for opportunities rather than just playing the game. This is showing through with the lack of attack, lack of options being taken or attempted, the slow speed of the players in general around the ground and in support, the seeming lack of passion and aggression and the fact they are always looking for options instead of creating them.

Watch the back 3 from the Highlanders, always trying to create opportunities through counter attack out of defence - and it yielding high returns!

The Brumbies have enough talent, including in the reserves to really be a formidable and tough attacking team - but they seem to somehow stunt or temper the natural talent available and end up falling back on the default clueless kick-fest game plan rather than doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.