• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Judging by the fact that the SMH now sports 2 journos writing on union it seems to me that Growden may be the living definition of "unsustainable business model".

I find it difficult to believe that any organisation would pay Growden to write the drivel that he does. Even applying the lowest standard of journalism, he doesn't cut it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I had a decent look through it last night.

All things considered, it doesn't seem like a bad result. The cost side of things is getting under control and the Rebels cost them less money than the previous year.

The ARU should be in a position to make it through the RWC year and hopefully move to a more sustainable position with the new TV deal coming through.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I make no claim to financial competency (so please correct me if I'm wrong), they started the year with $18 million cash, and finished the year with $8 million. Page 64

Even though lots of the costs were reduced, another year like 2014 and the ARU is broke (presumably there won't be another loan to the Rebels though)

2015 only has 3 home games generating revenue instead of 2014's 7 + 2 extra on the spring tour. The ARU still has that awful financial position.

T

TOCC

I make no claim to financial competency (so please correct me if I'm wrong), they started the year with $18 million cash, and finished the year with $8 million. Page 64

Even though lots of the costs were reduced, another year like 2014 and the ARU is broke (presumably there won't be another loan to the Rebels though)

2015 only has 3 home games generating revenue instead of 2014's 7 + 2 extra on the spring tour. The ARU still has that awful financial position.

Yes this is exactly why 12 months ago, despite posting a $25million profit Pulver said the ARU needed to cut costs or risk insolvency.. 2014 was always going to be a loss but the RWC years are where the ARU really haemorrhage's money.

ARU needs to be posting big enough profits in the years between the RWC to cover the costs of the RWC year.. Either that or the IRB needs to address its financial compensation to the governing bodies.

Again, this is why the ARU is so reliant on a windfall from the new broadcast agreement, they need an extra $10million/year just to break even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHam

Allen Oxlade (6)
20zfo0g.jpg

Pretty apt photo from the report.

And now they've all been upgraded except for the fattie up the back. :eek:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nothing like a victory over The Darkness to improve the financial health of the game. Win the Bledisloe, and Bring Back Bill and everything will be all tickety boo. Job done, all will be forgiven.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A couple of things that stuck out as suggesting the belt tightening continues:
  1. How long since a military band was the only pre match: not that I'm complaining - if we could just get rid of the half arsed pyrotechnics it would be perfect;
  2. Nigel Owens flag looked like a used snot rag.

Irishwaratahso

Frank Row (1)
So what will winning the rugby championship do for Australian rugby financially? Over 73,000 packed into yesterday game, I presume the TV and paper coverage of the win is well covered throughout Australia?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I imagine the attendance was a bit above expectations. As for Australia wide coverage, I doubt the result would have raised a ripple of interest except in NSW, Qld, and the ACT.

If we win next week it will help a bit - but even a World Cup win will not change the paradigm.

Look at the Tahs. Won the Soup in 2014, did pretty well this year, but still cannot draw the way they used to.

Our support base has gradually dwindled, there are fewer and fewer people who grew up with the game, and love it, warts and all.

There is no magic bullet, other than a fabulously generous billionaire suddenly taking a paternal interest in the game here and subsidising it as lavishly as Frank Lowy subsidised the soccer. And bribes Whirled Rugby to fix the bloody rules and refereeing interpretations.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Can you stop saying we have to change the laws of the game to make the game more attractive? If that was an issue the game would be decline outside but it's not. The problem is only in Australia.

I love the game, but I live in a country where increasing numbers of people are losing interest in it.

What's your solution - other than attempting to censor me?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the laws are part of the solution - and so it's encouraging what's happening in the NRC because it addresses the primary frustrations with the game. I wouldn't be surprised if SANZAR uses some NRC variations in Super Rugby in the next couple of years and that may lead to some changes globally.

But just talking about the Wallabies and test rugby I think the bigger problem is the structure of competitions. The world cup shows that the Wallabies are still capable of gaining significant general interest. But only when people really feel they're involved in something that's a big deal.

Unfortunately no one really cares about the Rugby Championship as a competition - and it's the tournament that dominates the Wallabies calendar every year. Even us tragics, who get excited about every game probably don't really care about the trophy. It's nothing on the 6 Nations or the Bledisloe Cup for care factor. And you have the problem that the last game of the Bledisloe is always held after the Championship ends. It doesn't make sense to me if you want people to care about the RC itself.

I think the Rugby Championship needs to be revamped in some way. I think it should definitely have knock out matches or at least a final and maybe it should only be held every 2 years. There definitely shouldn't be Bledisloe matches held both inside and outside of it in a given year. It should be one or the other.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But surely 'revamping' something takes away the history you are trying to build.

The 6 Nations is huge because it has existed for a long time (obviously previously as the 5 Nations).

The Bledisloe Cup is huge because of the history and rivalry behind it.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
But surely 'revamping' something takes away the history you are trying to build.

The 6 Nations is huge because it has existed for a long time (obviously previously as the 5 Nations).

The Bledisloe Cup is huge because of the history and rivalry behind it.

If we want to build it up we should stop diluting it by having a more historic/important trophy played partially inside and partially outside of it.

I also think not having it every year would perhaps make it a bit more special.

The Rugby Championship will most certainly evolve anyway. I think there's very little chance it will stay in the current format for more than 10 years. There's no doubt in my mind that when Japan and/or the US get to a strong enough level that they'll be included. And I think that's a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.