• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 Div 1 & ACT Schools XV 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhino147

Stan Wickham (3)
With the season over, what are our predictions for the 2015 season? For the sake of the competition I'd like to see Marist or Grammar put pressure on St Edmunds. With the U15s competition won by Royals and 16s won by Vikings, these clubs could also create a few upsets I believe. Grammar, although with a weak 16s side will have a descent crack and will benefit from having a 3rd XV this season, of mostly year 11s which will mean the team will have much greater depth. As well as this, in their GF appearance, Grammar had 5 year 11s in the forward pack, not to mention missing Nick S and Ethan Z, 2 of the best in the forward pack and both in year 11. The 3 front rowers all season were also year 11 students.

St Edmunds had final appearances in all 3 divisions in opens, as well as in the 16s competition, meaning they will again be the benchmark. I do not know of all the players in the 1st and 2nd division this season but believe a majority were year 12 students, even in 2nds.

Marist were quite weak across div 1 and 2, as a result of depth problems. Even their final appearance in 2nds was unconvincing. A strong 3rd XV this season will have positive implications on the teams 1st and 2nds teams for 2015.

Daramalan I can't see posing a real threat with its 2nds team playing in the 3rd divison this season, and even then only winning 1/10, as well as only a couple of victories in 1st div. However, their 16s team finished 4th and seems like they had a rather positive season, and by the looks of it, their loses were quite close..

I cannot speak of the club teams well enough so I will leave others to voice opinions

Predicted teams in 1st Div: Eddies, Grammar, Marist, Dara, Royals, Wests. I dont think Vikings will be included, as even after being dropped to 2nd div, only won 2 games from 5, and even suffered a loss from the winless Uni Norths.

Predicted Ladder:
1) Grammar
2) Eddies
3) Marist
4) Daramalan
5) Royals
6) Wests

Logan Stevens

Bob McCowan (2)
Exciting year ahead that is for sure. Grammar, Eddies and Vikings will all have quality sides. Few points I want to mention:

• Louis McIntyre will be a handy addition to the Vikings side. He is very tall.
  • Oliver 'Clinchy' Clinch will be ready to shine after getting a taste of first 15 in 2014.
  • John Delmenico will have a massive impact for Grammar.
  • Marist College will struggle with the losses of speed demon Tom Williamson and the classy Joey Rollings.

Logan Stevens

Bob McCowan (2)
Eddies Predicted Side

1. Sam Thompson
2. Angus Patterson
3. Patrick Lonergan
4. Harri Dahl
5. Levi Leslie Goodwin Shaw
6. Luke Gierwoski
7. Tom Johnson
8. Josh Wise
9. Fraser Smith
10. Jake Powley
11. Jacob Abel
12. Steven Hardie
13. Trai Henderson
14. Caleb Malasauskis
15. Josh Wells

RUMaori

Frank Row (1)
I believe Tuggeranong Vikings are going to have a very strong side for the 2015 season definetly in the running for a top 4 spot - anybody got any other predicted teamlists?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd agree that Vikings will have a very strong 18's side this year with the players advancing from their 16's last season. Royals will need to recruit as they had no under 16 side last year, but have a 2015 Samoan tour that may help bolster numbers. Realistically I can't see anyone coming close to SEC in 2015, but I do hope for a more balanced 18's competition.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If you read the SMH today you probably saw the article about the NRL trying to get a foothold in Sydney's GPS schools. I wonder if the Raiders have contemplated such an approach to Canberra schools. You only have had to watch the Raiders game against Manly at Albury last night and then the Brumbies snore fest to realise that now would an opportune time to do so. Let's face it anyway, the Brumbies have done next to nothing for junior development in recent times to encourage local kids to aspire to that level...how many local juniors play for Brumbies?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
AFL is taking over at the private schools as we speak. Especially at Marist although Eddies aren't far behind. Be interesting to see tonight how many teams will take the field this year in the 18's. Word has it the 16's comp is decimated and will struggle to fill two divisions.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Under 18 Div 1 may be a very small comp. You can bank on Eddies, Marist, Grammar, Darra, Vikings and Royals having teams. No 18's for Queanbeyan, Gungahlin, Easts, Wests and Uni Norths. Word has it Wests and Uni Norths will combine to make an 18's side, but couldn't see them in Div 1. The concern for senior clubs would be where do they source next years colts from?

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
The concern for senior clubs would be where do they source next years colts from?

From the teams in their respective areas hopefully. In the case of the colts you see an abundance of players end up at Vikings, Royals etc. despite the fact that you have two juggernaut rugby schools right down the road from Easts. It is not really a concern of "where will they source their colts from" because there will always be an abundance of boys wanting to continue playing after school despite many drop outs. It's more about where will the boys goy to

With the season coming closer lets get this forum fired up again!
With trials already played, do any of the spearheads from the school know of any predicted teams? Pre-season form? Injuries?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
18's Div 1 announced. No Wests or Uni Norths.

Under 18 - Div 1
St Edmunds
Grammar
Marist Royal
Daramalan
Vikings
Royals

Predicted table for mine would be;

1 St Edmunds
2 Grammar
3 Royals
4 Vikings or Marist
6 Darra

I really expect Marist to struggle this year.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Royals 18's at a very uneducated guess!

1. Cody Reardon
2. Moala Taufa
3. Richard Tupou
4. Brayton Revell
5. Alex Thorne
6. Ezra Afele
7. Nick Wilson
8. Dom Mono
9. Jayden Macken
10. Isaiah Latu
11. Josh Larnach
12. Luci Fonoti
13. Liam Pratt
14. Ryka Oh
15. Aiden Agnew

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't know about any others but Grammar has a trial game tomorrow at 3pm against Kinross. Would be able to pick lineup after that game as it is one week until season comences.

Keiran what can you say about the strengths and weakness of your selected team?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
All I could say is the forwards are fairly dominant, and the backline has plenty of class and speed to burn.

Standouts in the forward would be Ritchie Tupou, Moala Tuafa and Junior Monu's (2014 Australian Schoolboy) little brother Dom. I say little, but the guy is a monster and is only 17!

Looking forward to see how they go against Marist in the first round.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Predicting this to be Marists longest year in memory. Eddies in a canter followed by Royals who will roll a few of the schools. I've mentioned it before but very concerning to see registrations at Marist down, third grade teams in only the seniors and U10s. Can anyone tell me if Eddies are experiencing the same problems?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
May not be that long a year for Marist. Royals depth was found out. Missing 4 starting players and were really out enthused. 36-7 at halftime, 48-12 at fulltime. Just proves that clubs really need a 2nd side if they are to deal with injuries. Mind you 3 of the players injured before the game had played school bloody league during the week ffs.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Vikings beat Grammar 22- 21.
Eddies towelled Dara in 18-1s 57-0 and 18-2s 67-0 Trai Henderson was a beast in both games.

Status
Not open for further replies.