• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Stumpy no trophy is played for between Easts & Brothers.

I always thought that a McLean/McMillan/Shaw trophy would be appropriate.

Given Ian McMillan who broke his neck in the 1971 Easts v Brothers GF married Liz McLean (Peter's sister), Tony Shaw married Judy (Liz's sister), and Peter McLean & Shawy were the respective captains in the 1984 GF between the two clubs.

Easts play for the following cups during course of the year:
Cromwell Cup v GPS @ Bottomley;
Maximize Cup v Sunnybank;
Paul Mooney Cup v Wests;
Batty Bremner Thomas Trophy v Bond/Breakers.

Uni & GPS also play for the Halley Appleby Cup.

Last 8 times Bros & Easts have met:
Bottomley (2nd Round 2014) - Bros won;
Crosby (1st 2014) - Bros;
Bottomley (2nd Round 2013) - Easts(record margin for Easts);
Crosby (1st 2013) - Bros;
Crosby (2nd Round 2012) - Bros(Welsby Cup);
Bottomley (1st 2012) - Bros;
Bottomley (2nd Round 2011) - Easts(Welsby Cup);
Crosby (1st 2011) - Easts;

Brothers have won 5 of the last 8 so should start favourites.

But then again you might say Easts are due at Crosby!

All I know is that both clubs will be well prepared and ready to roll come 5:30pm this Saturday at Crosby, I just hope that the better team on the day gets the win.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I will admit to not following QLD club rugby to closely, but I'm interested in knowing whether or not anyone has seen Rory Arnold's brother - Richard - play? This article - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m-to-super-rugby/story-fnlhav6i-1227241984066 - says that he intended to play for Bond. Did this happen? Is he playing 1st grade for the Breakers? If so, how's he doing?

I really rate Rory, so I'm interested in seeing how Richard develops - if he's anything like his brother he'll be a big boon to any club - super or club - I bet! It is the Daily Telegraph, so I'm sort of taking it with a grain of salt, but I couldn't really find anything on the web or any of the forums about him.

Also, and I'm sure this has been covered to some extent so excuse my ignorance, how's Taniel going? Does he have a similar impact for Brothers as he did back in New Zealand? How far off Super Rugby is he? I'd love to see him get a go, could be a massive help to the Reds (and Wallabies) in the near future.

T

TOCC

Also, and I'm sure this has been covered to some extent so excuse my ignorance, how's Taniel going? Does he have a similar impact for Brothers as he did back in New Zealand? How far off Super Rugby is he? I'd love to see him get a go, could be a massive help to the Reds (and Wallabies) in the near future.

He has been going very well for an 18year old playing Prop in Premier Grade.. There are some highlights in this thread, he is playing prop in a dominant pack in one of the comps best teams so it's a bit to early to make any calls on him...

He will probably see some game time in the NRC and his likely Reds debut year will be 2017(possibly late 2016) if he keeps up current form and development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
I am very interested to hear where you feel dammers has left on bad terms???
To suggest he is not bringing a culture to the club is a little harsh. But I suppose it is easy for you to throw daggers behind a screen!!
Maybe you should stop listening to the other Todd!!!
Success hasn't exactly followed Dammers. And no daggers are thrown here. Just facts given. Not many coaches get asked to move on from Nudgee. Then the split at Sydney Uni wasn't rosie either. His best mate Todd Louden wants nothing to do with him anymore. The only thing longer than the queue for beers in the Glue Factory on Saturday was the list of gripes about the current coaching set up. It's sad to hear (and I heard more today from those there) from long time supporters.

T

Tigers Tale

Corne Uyc - if Dammers doesn't work in securing a Hospital Cup whose fault will it be?

Are there deeper rooted problems at GPS? For a club that has seen a good level of success across the grades in recent times there does seem to have been a disproportionate amount of turn over in players/coaches/managers given that success.

Why is it so?

How bitter is the disappointment of the supporters that you talk of? Will they start to vote with their non-attendance?

I hardly think that Dammers could have impacted on club culture as yet.

I thought Big Dog/another was only saying recently how much the boys were enjoying the change in coaching process. Are the players not buying into Dammers? If so is that not allowing the lunatics to run the asylum?

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I will admit to not following QLD club rugby to closely, but I'm interested in knowing whether or not anyone has seen Rory Arnold's brother - Richard - play? This article - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m-to-super-rugby/story-fnlhav6i-1227241984066 - says that he intended to play for Bond. Did this happen? Is he playing 1st grade for the Breakers? If so, how's he doing?

I really rate Rory, so I'm interested in seeing how Richard develops - if he's anything like his brother he'll be a big boon to any club - super or club - I bet! It is the Daily Telegraph, so I'm sort of taking it with a grain of salt, but I couldn't really find anything on the web or any of the forums about him.

AKA Richie has been playing Prem Reserve grade for Bond. He had surgery in the preseason and has only returned to the game in the past couple of weeks. Slowly building confidence and match fitness. He is a behemoth like his brother and if he keeps working away will be an outside chance for a crack at the NRC

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Haha
tiger tales brilliant chat!!!

Sorry Dizzle but there are some real challenges down at Yoku Rd this season and your misguided faith though admirable will be wasted and like I say by the end of the first round you would have already kissed your season bye bye

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Corne Uyc - if Dammers doesn't work in securing a Hospital Cup whose fault will it be?

Are there deeper rooted problems at GPS? For a club that has seen a good level of success across the grades in recent times there does seem to have been a disproportionate amount of turn over in players/coaches/managers given that success.

Why is it so?

How bitter is the disappointment of the supporters that you talk of? Will they start to vote with their non-attendance?

I thought Big Dog/another was only saying recently how much the boys were enjoying the change in coaching process. Are the players not buying into Dammers? If so is that not allowing the lunatics to run the asylum?
There appears to be rumblings/ speculation regarding the issues at Yoku but I'm yet to read of any specific examples.

Without these, it may just be hidden agendas being voiced.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Doughty Shield update

University - 174
Sunnybank - 161
Brothers - 144
Easts - 120
GPS - 112
Souths - 81
Norths - 64
Bond - 61
Wests - 56
Logan - 11

Round 7

Norths at Bond
University at Wests
GPS at Sunnybank
Easts at Brothers
Souths have the bye

It is tight at the top between University and Sunnybank, with University 4th Grade giving them the edge.
University will be aiming for a strong performance across the board at "The Kennel"
University will also be quietly supporting GPS as they travel down to Old Mac

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm interested to hear what down between Louden and Dammers? I thought Dammers left Sydney uni to coach in Spain and left Nudgee to coach in Japan with Louden? I can't say I'm surprised there is unrest at Yoku Road, he has brought in virtually an entire backline who are all quality but buying into the culture of a club is a massive part of it. Interested to hear how Fogs is going at Norths? Been hearing mixed reports, some of which sound similar to the gripes about Dammers at GPS, any truth to that?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm trying not to say too much about the GPS-Dammers relationship as I'm not fully around the situation but I will say that Dammers not 'buying into the culture' probably isn't all his fault.

GPS made a big call by appointing Dammers and really went the opposite end of the spectrum to Arnold. Shane Arnold was a lifetime GPS man and also a good up and coming coach who had very good personal relationships with many of the players at the club (for better or worse). Dammers has had no connection to GPS and already saw himself as an established coach with his own ideas and game plans. Quite obviously the contrasting styles have caused clashes with club members and playing personnel.

If GPS wanted to keep the Premier Grade job 'in house' and in line with the culture, they could have easily promoted Fogarty. They knowingly decided against it and now have to make things work.

dizzle

Peter Burge (5)
I don't know where you guys receive your mail but as a former employee of nudgee college I can tell you right now that dammers was not asked to leave. Dammers was offered a professional coaching role in Japan and nudgee gave him there blessing to pursue his goals.
There seems to be a few gentlemen and I use that term loosely, on here that have begun to make this a little personal.
What happened at Sydney uni???? They won premierships. And lots of them!!
Dammers left sydney uni to pursue a job in Spain and louden left to pursue a career with the rebels.
Let's just hope corne uyc that your little birdie who is feeding you this bullshit doesn't leak anything about your successful coaching career!!!!

T

Tigers Tale

Love the passion Dizzle.

Facts are what we need on this forum.

It does sadden me to see GPS in such supposed turmoil - they are still sitting 5th on the Doughty Shield table and I predict will finish higher than that through the broad level of talent they have in the club and the fact that they have only played their first home game.

I'd be surprised if Easts better GPS on the Doughty Shield at the end of the day.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)

Why is it so?

The thing about GPS is they are the best supported club in the comp. The atmosphere and crowd at home games is fantastic and the bar usually pulls 50K. Piccone went to Souths this year and don't be surprised to see some players follow him there considering his immediate success. His finger prints are already all over the Souths game plan - and then they rolled Uni on the weekend. Fogherty is coaching Norths now after coaching the reggies at GPS for ten years. The disappointment from the old heads stems from the lack of success already this season for a club which is always highly successful in Prem Colts, Reserves and Prem grade. But hey, try telling them it's only five games into the season.
There seems to be a line through the comp now. Souths may rattle a few more but Wests, GPS and Norths will battle out the lower standings.

T

Tigers Tale

Unfortunately Corne Uyc - GPS 5 games in and the season is done and dusted.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
People are well and truly underestimating GPS. They have a strong side this year however the cohesion really is not there. There is a few new boys that have come into the prems squad and they have not played a lot of rugby together. They will strengthen as the season progresses although unfortunately it may be too late.

On the weekends game, Freddy burke copped a knock in the opening minutes and continued out there through neural pain for 10-15 mins before coming off. He was holding the scrum together well before going off but we were gone after that. Duncan P was a little frustrating to watch (as was the backline structure), his clearances were poor and often ran the ball when well inside our half. He is quite a strong runner and broke several tackles but shouldnt be doing it in our half in heavy traffic. SJ was our best back but the Filth defence was always up quickly and in his face. McVerry is going to be very good as he gets more game time, he is a very tough competitor.

Filth were a well drilled side and the boys seemed to play for each other and know each others game. I am not a Greene fan but he does have once of the best general play and place kicking games you will ever see, problem is he is scared to tackle or be tackled but does choose his times to run quite well.

Sunnybank may be a scary thought over the weekend but I think It will be a closer game than a lot are assuming.

Throughout the grades will continue to improve as more players start turning up. The 4th grade is the best side to watch, currently boasting a few former prems/prem reserve players.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking at the overall ladders across the club. GPS are still in very good positions for Prem Colts, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade and Womens. With Prem Reserve and Colts 1 not far out in their comps. There definitely doesn't seem to be any issues with 80% of the teams. Its just unfortunate that things up top aren't clicking.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am glad that you are not my accountant/treasurer Corne Uyc!! Maybe some creative accounting?!?!? Oooh, maybe you should be.

quote - "The thing about GPS is they are the best supported club in the comp. The atmosphere and crowd at home games is fantastic and the bar usually pulls 50K."

The Annual Report that I received for 2014,in fact, highlights that for the entire calendar year, that Income Received from Canteen combined with Merchandise was only $145k. And that is across both the Senior and Junior Clubs!!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story?!?!? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.