• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Not a Reds fan there WW - 29- 5 is a moral victory!!!!!!!

Yes I am BAG - a very proud one after the one point moral victory last night!

Well give us the download then on what you see in the GT First XV squad so far - what are the expectations over at Spring Hill?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes I am BAG - a very proud one after the one point moral victory last night!

Well give us the download then on what you see in the GT First XV squad so far - what are the expectations over at Spring Hill?

Will be an interesting year at Tennyson this season - 2016 has long been earmarked for a Red and Black run at the title - so 2015 should be a building year - hence the new boys in year 11.

Picking a team at this point is pretty hard as I am not sure how many from Yr 11 will be blooded for next year could be has many as 7 or 8,

I expect the team to be competitive, have a much better season than last year but to fall comfortably short of the top 3 - I expect they will get better as the season progresses and they settle on some combinations.

4th would be a far target I expect.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Churchie, BBC and TSS can all subscribe to the fact that bringing in lads in Year 11 is no guarantee of success the following year. So even though they have recruited 16/17 year olds in year 11, GT might still struggle for a return on investment in under 2 years.

The Churchie premiership last year was built on much earlier recruitment, leadership players in the team that had been at the school for some time and of course very astute coaching.

I'm very interested in how Churchie will go this year I've tipped them in the middle of the pack but not much better than that. It's very hard to back up a premiership and I don't think they have enough players coming back to make an impact. Any info from the Churchie cognoscenti?

TSS and BBC are very real threats this year, as they have had at least a 3 year build to 2015. Nudgee have of course been building for this year since 1923! I think their first scholarship player was Fred bloody Flinstone...go the Butchers!

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
So even though they have recruited 16/17 year olds in year 11, GT might still struggle for a return on investment in under 2 years.

The Churchie premiership last year was built on much earlier recruitment, leadership players in the team that had been at the school for some time and of course very astute coaching.

Sorry WW you have missed my point - the graduating 2016 cohort has been a strong age group all the way through with an undefeated U13 U14(maybe lost one to NC) and a disrupted U15 due to School activities.

The key players have been together for a number of years and come with outstanding pedigrees (the youngest Lucas and a Nasser amongst others)- but in the current day competition you need to add pieces and GT has done that this year with an eye for 2016.

There is also a few quality athletes in the 2017 cohort who could show up next year.

Whether it is enough only time will tell, but it should make for an interesting year , if not an overly successful one in 2015 for the Red and Black.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Churchie, BBC and TSS can all subscribe to the fact that bringing in lads in Year 11 is no guarantee of success the following year. So even though they have recruited 16/17 year olds in year 11, GT might still struggle for a return on investment in under 2 years.

I'm very interested in how Churchie will go this year I've tipped them in the middle of the pack but not much better than that. It's very hard to back up a premiership and I don't think they have enough players coming back to make an impact. Any info from the Churchie cognoscenti?

TSS and BBC are very real threats this year, as they have had at least a 3 year build to 2015. Nudgee have of course been building for this year since 1923! I think their first scholarship player was Fred bloody Flinstone.go the Butchers!

The Churchie premiership was built on an exceptionally talented 15A side which won their competition back in 2012. Into this team Churchie parachuted about 8 boys who were either NRL contracted players ( Mason, Croft, Su'a, Ponga) or recruited players from other competitions (Fox, Webb, Perese, Asiata) then hired a coach who did nothing at all except concentrate on 1st XV rugby. That all of these players were at state or national level in either RL or RU was the single most important factor tipping the scales Churchie's way. They had a simple game plan. Scott Young or Asiata did the alternate hit ups and the rest cleaned out and worked play towards the centre of the field in the opposition 25m then Mason looked for a numbers imbalance or unleashed Ponga or Perese against a tight forward caught out defensively in the back line. If there is any coaching astuteness , it was keeping it simple and letting the talent do the work. I've said before, Dame Edna could have coached this premiership. From what I am hearing, the interesting point at Churchie is that their new Rugby Director Moloney and the new 1st XV coach Lucas are so much more hands on in the coaching across all school teams, not just the 1st XV that it is drastically showing up how little was done to develop this aspect of the "program" under the previous regime. As 15As back in 2013, the 2015 Churchie boys came second in their competition and have Croft and Sua added to this as recruited Year 11s from 2014, plus regulars Wallis and Kuchel plus Williams, MacMillan and Hockings who saw some cameo roles in 2014. I'd tip them for a top 3 spot from what I have seen of a few matches over the past few years.

stevie wonder

Frank Row (1)
I agree with Warrenwobble comment about Churchie's new regime is very hands on. Can anybody tell me how the Churchie team will look like this year 1-15.

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can anyone confirm that Sua is actually still at Churchie?? I have it from a very good source that he has played every game so far this year for the Broncos 20s in the forwards and has been very good for them with Broncs holding him in very high stead. How will GPS Rugby fit into that schedule if he is still at Churchie?

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
The Churchie premiership was built on an exceptionally talented 15A side which won their competition back in 2012. <cut> As 15As back in 2013, the 2015 Churchie boys came second in their competition and have Croft and Sua added to this as recruited Year 11s from 2014<cut>
Good to hear from you ME.

Again what you say is correct.The 2013 under 15 A comp was won by an undefeated BBC team that touched up ACGS 28-5 that year.with Ikatu going over for 2 tries that day.
Add to that team Jaydn Ngamu (who the King picks as an Aussie schoolboy rep) and who is currently in the ARU under twenty 7s squad and you would think BBC will go ok..

But does the 15 As of 2 years ago count that much-when we all know TSS & NC will have half their teams as 18year olds-who played 2nds or 1stxv last year in grade 11??

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
<cut>
The 2013 under 15 A comp was won by an undefeated BBC team that touched up ACGS 28-5 that year.

Out of interest how many of those U15 A's are expected to start in 2015 and how many played more than half the games in 2014??

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)

Again what you say is correct.The 2013 under 15 A comp was won by an undefeated BBC team that touched up ACGS 28-5 that year.with Ikatu going over for 2 tries that day.
Add to that team Jaydn Ngamu (who the King picks as an Aussie schoolboy rep) and who is currently in the ARU under twenty 7s squad and you would think BBC will go ok..

But does the 15 As of 2 years ago count that much-when we all know TSS & NC will have half their teams as 18year olds-who played 2nds or 1stxv last year in grade 11??

My dear GSP, you'll find that I am virtually always correct in this forum.

BBC were deserved winners that day. I recall watching the match and it struck me that ACGS did not seem to turn up mentally or physically. Even with a young Kalyn Ponga, they had one of those days teams will have from time to time. I suppose the point you would make is that the BBC team can only get better with a sprinkling of new faces and returning 2014 players and in a general sense I would agree. My interest in the BBC team this year would be as a result of Philpotts' return to the head Coach role. if anyone can direct the culture of the place towards a win, it is him. This said, I would maintain BBC's worst enemy is BBC parents and Old Boys who seem to delight in sniping and nosing into business they should stay out of in terms of the internal workings of the team. get that right or get rid of that and who knows? The 4 way shared title of 1954 would finally be laid to rest as the high tide mark of College rugby although with the BBC penchant for overhyping anything promising, this year or the 1st XV year of the current 14A division could be the catalyst for a few lemonades at Toowong - wouldn't want the Presbyterians/Methodists to get too wild if they win the thing!!

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
<cut>
Good point GSP.

In my view, the whole "doing Years 11 and 12 over 3 years" thing is a farce which really does nothing for the boys and is designed solely to boost the team's premiership prospects and in turn "market" the school.

Gavin Luka and Calvin Pritchard returning to Nudgee this year for their third stint in the Firsts is a case in point. I certainly don't blame these boys personally for doing it, I just think that the system which allows it stinks and I'd hate to be a Nudgee boy playing prop or centre who has had his heart set for years on playing First XV but misses out as a consequence of it.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
18 is the new 16 in First XV these days. Not much you can do about that.

Nice to smell the air of confidence again that only MonEx can bring to the forum.

However, I disagree that Dame Edna could have coached that Churchie team to the premiership. Yes they had the cattle, but they played a simple, yet self-assured style of rugby, something many teams in the First XV competition don't do. Many are over coached and badly selected and with low levels of school and team spirit.

That Churchie team executed first phase perfectly, pounced on opposition mistakes and had one of the best school boy defensive patterns I have seen. All things every team should be able to do, but in my experience many can't do.

This competition in 2015 will come down to this. 4 of the teams could win it comfortably, but the way each of them play and how well they do the simple things will ultimately dictate their success.

Lets hope the State High rugby support group are reading this too and they heat those pies up properly this season, no one needs Sal and Manella as their next two rugby scholarships!

GSP

Fred Wood (13)

Dear ME
We all know you picked the 1st to 3rd last year andyour predictions are usually correct-but can you answer the question please

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
GSP, Today at 11:55 AM Report

Good point GSP.

In my view, the whole "doing Years 11 and 12 over 3 years" thing is a farce which really does nothing for the boys and is designed solely to boost the team's premiership prospects and in turn "market" the school.

Gavin Luka and Calvin Pritchard returning to Nudgee this year for their third stint in the Firsts is a case in point. I certainly don't blame these boys personally for doing it, I just think that the system which allows it stinks and I'd hate to be a Nudgee boy playing prop or centre who has had his heart set for years on playing First XV but misses out as a consequence of it.

And Rees Hewatt for 3rd year in 1st xv and 2nd year in Aussie schoolboys

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Forgot about Hewat, that's two 18yo Aus Schoolboys returning for Nudgee this year then.

I have no axe to grind with Nudgee, but such is my distaste for the school rugby arms race I'd be happy for anyone other than them, ACGS or TSS to win it.

Most entertaining result would no doubt be a BBC premiership, but I'm not, and never will be, betting on that......

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
Hewat is 17 turning 18 at the end of the year and is not doing 3 year senior, just regular old year 11 and 12.... so what are you saying now....... that if the boys are turning 18 in their last school year legitimately they shouldn't be playing 1st XV?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Major development on the horizon regarding schools rugby coverage in Queensland.

More to come in the coming weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
dropped the young fellow off at under 8s at Yoku rd and doubled back to watch BBC v Ashgrove
in particular wanted to watch the much vaunted BBC backline with 3 in Aussie 7 squad and the 15 Ngamu that the King says may be the next Kalen Ponga
match played in 3 x 25 min thirds
BBC parent confirmed no new boys at school in squad
game 1 -BBC ran its top team minus Gunter. suprised to see 11 and 14 from last year playing 13 and 9(yes-halfback)
BBC won 26 nil
15 was good and strong in tackle but no where near as fast as Ponga.
Captain and Qld1 lock Darcy was BOF.BBC 10 very dangerous. but the wingers lacked a bit of pace and were run down 2x . dilemma for BBC if they break up back 3 from last year as they did today is lack of pace on wings.
Game 2
mainly 16A players with Gunter who got sin binned straight away
BBC won 12-7 but got dished up in scrums
Huge huge gap between BBc teams 1 and 2
Game 3
BBCwon 21 nil
team 1 back on except Darcy off Gunter on and 15 and 10 swapped positions
Gunter scored a barnstorming try as did the big number 3
Can I mention the 3 words again that haunt BBC " lack of depth"
they better hope Darcy and number 10 stay fit .

Status
Not open for further replies.