• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^ TOCC I wish I could share your humour, if this is true.

I just feel indescribably sad. A deep loss to Australian rugby, one of our brightest-ever lights, one whom has given so much, is probably gone. Who knows if he shall ever return.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Well done to Quade, time to go and get paid. He was a big part of the Reds best years and was, and still is, one of the most exciting players in the world on his day.

I don't think we ever saw his true potential due to injury, coaching and other issues, but he's undeniably been a great asset to Queensland rugby.

I'd like to echo the sentiments blaming NSW.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have always felt that Horwill, Genia and Cooper would be gone after the World Cup. But never though it would end like this being a struggling team.

T

TOCC

Latest report is that the deal isn't yet finalised... It's not over till the fat lady sings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Latest report is that the deal isn't yet finalised. It's not over till the fat lady sings

Well since Cheika is Tahs coach, he doesn't have the time to drive that truckload cash we need to keep Quade around to his house tonight. So I still think he's gone....

And there you go - NSW effectively blamed.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Reds will struggle to replace those leaving let alone cutting the deadwood. The coach is the biggest problem anyway.

I will be very surprised if JOC (James O'Connor) is around next year too.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Reds will struggle to replace those leaving let alone cutting the deadwood. The coach is the biggest problem anyway.

I will be very surprised if JOC (James O'Connor) is around next year too.

A good RWC performance, assuming he gets there, would make JOC (James O'Connor) some of the hottest property in world rugby. We'd hope to have a damn good plan for the future to have a shot of keeping him.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
A recurring theme on these forums for the past few seasons, but I can't get over how much depth we have lost. We're really missing our solid utilities.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The horror scenario is that we lose a lot of our top line players, primarily due to the coach, but then keep the coach, who then excuses his continued woeful performance by how weak the team now is. The board buys it.

It couldn't happen, could it?

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I asked this a couple of pages ago but everyone seemed to get hung up on the fact that i even spoke the name BERRICK BARNES, but seemed to miss the entire point of my question which was: What options are out there for a replacement for Quade?

If hes gone, one of the biggest reasons for me falling in love with this game is gone. i havent been a rugby fan for my whole life like alot of you. Ive played it most of my life, but never really cared about it. I come from a very rugby league family so i never really had an opportunity to love it, until i saw Quade play back in 2010.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well I don't think you can ever replace a player like QC (Quade Cooper), if you're looking for a like for like.

There are enough options out there to wear the jersey and do a capable job as long as there is support from the resting the team and not left for him to do everything.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The horror scenario is that we lose a lot of our top line players, primarily due to the coach, but then keep the coach, who then excuses his continued woeful performance by how weak the team now is. The board buys it.

It couldn't happen, could it?

It could, it might, as such has been the sort of nonsense that's begun to markedly define the decline period in the Reds' recent history. Recall that 'squad weaknesses that weren't quickly enough addressed after 2011' were the defined reasons given by the QRU and RG for the Reds 'underperformance' in 2013 and 2014.

These alleged weaknesses were then meant to be corrected, plus some, with the recruitment of KH, JOC (James O'Connor), AT, etc. and we were promised a dramatically improved 2015 season with this 'weaknesses fixed' squad.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Surely the Reds can't be dumb enough to try and use an excuse like "at this time of so much upheaval we need consistency in leadership, so we are proud to announce Woody has accepted an extension his contract"?

Then again excuses and spin have marked the Reds of recent years.

Don't mind me, I am in mourning for those that are leaving. :(

T

TOCC

I was willing to accept Horwill and Genia leaving, but the overall marketing appeal of the Reds will drop massively if Quade leaves...

Yeah yeah yeah you will here all the southerners claim he hasn't played much rugby lately so therefor doesn't deserve to be high up the pecking order of ARU Top-Ups... But screw that, his injuries aren't related to degenerative issues like knees or hamstrings, it's just highly unfortunate impact injuries(his first one at least). Quade is the highest profile rugby player in QLD and would probably sit just under Izzy as the best known Wallaby across Australia..

When he is fit... And he will be fit again he is an amazing talent and attracts fans. There really is no other player quite like Quade in Australian Rugby.. It's unfortunately the ARU is so strapped for cash and won't consider his marketing appeal as an extra kick for signing him....

In the future we will look back at Quade as a once In a generation player and ponder what could have been.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm certain that Quade is literally worth millions to the Reds in direct revenue,and is a big part of the Reds brand.
I'm not so sure about his worth in yellow in terms of generating revenue.
He is well known as a Wallaby player,but not all of it is positive

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Been trying to process this since I got the news this morning - still lost for words.

Knowing it was coming doesn't make it any easier. Guys who can make it through all of the filters in place leading up to 'Test' level and still do things that other players around and against them literally cannot are truly rare.

It was a pleasure watching him play. I doubt I'd have played in College, gone to Brisbane, or even be on this forum if it wasn't for QC (Quade Cooper). Always had a fear he'd end up being a case of "what could have been" since the Lions tour.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.